Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ice Breaker (SWO)

I mean, I was just kidding about the theming stuff-- I get the impression that Brian Morrow was the only person at the company ensuring some modicum of 'quality control' on new attractions at these parks... the current leadership comes from places like Visit St. Pete-Clearwater and Carnival Cruise lines. The fact that they won't cough up the pocket change it would take to build a real queue structure tells me they're looking for the cheapest, fastest route to having a new ride for 2o2o. Still though, I imagine they'll be forced to change up the Mango Joe's and surrounding area to squeeze the ride entrance and gift shop in, and they'll have to do something to convey what I assume is some kind of arctic exploration theme. Also, I found it interesting that Wild Arctic and Shamu Stadium [EDIT: it's actually Bayside Stadium] were worked into the concept art, almost as if they'll all be tied together as a themed area.
Lol, my bad. When I read the 12k figure, I definitely felt the sarcasm.

Ice Breaker?
Orange coaster?
Interesting.
This is an "Ice Breaker".

Polar-explorer-Icebreaker-1030x773-1024x768.jpg

^Ahhh...
I didn't even think of that. I'm surprised no one else I've noticed has pointed this out in all the amusement park groups I'm in on Facebook and elsewhere...lol

On Thursday while driving to Atlanta I passed a southbound truck load of Ice Breaker track on I-75 in Georgia. Anyone know where the Premier track is fabricated?

It's a bit of a shame this didn't end up being the key West coaster suggested, but I still hope they have a plan to activate that area in the future. I think they could really use a smaller truly family coaster. Something like slinky dog or wavebreaker. Thought it'd be really cool to see the coaster bend around the lighthouse. It'd be symbolic of their new direction, but maybe it'd slightly ruin a very nice entrance.

It's a bit of a shame this didn't end up being the key West coaster suggested, but I still hope they have a plan to activate that area in the future. I think they could really use a smaller truly family coaster. Something like slinky dog or wavebreaker. Thought it'd be really cool to see the coaster bend around the lighthouse. It'd be symbolic of their new direction, but maybe it'd slightly ruin a very nice entrance.
I agree. Maybe that side of the park will get something new next.

I am personally most concerned about the amount of themeing for this coaster. If this coaster doesn't have any themeing I imagine it will be hard to achieve their arctic theme they're going for. Especially since they chose the track color as orange. I'm willing to bet this will have a nice entrance sign, but beyond that it seems up in the air.

Also, it looks like they're using the outdoor seating area for Mango Joes as the queue, to which I hope will look okay. We haven't had any word on Mango Joes being rethemed either. I wonder when/if they will be rethemeing the entire area to have a cohesive theme.

Is it just me or did they appear to retheme all of their attractions just prior to announcing their rides? I mean it seemed obvious that Ice Breaker would be some kind of Falcon. Texas Stingray came out of left field, considering the teaser they released literally read out Abyss in broken letters.. Even Mako at SWSD is being rumored to being rethemed (hopefully that coaster becomes Abyss, it makes way more sense.

I believe there was a dollar amount in the permits for the update of existing buildings and theming. I'd imagine Mango Joe's will get a refresh with the addition of Ice Breaker.

I really hope that when the day WA finally closes, they don't just remove it outright. Please SW replace this with a new indoor attraction. For some reason, SWPE just really has a longstanding issue with indoor/dark rides. In order to make the new Arctic section more than just a giant coaster plaza with a nice exhibit, to give it some variety between Ice Breaker, a new Flying Theater, the amazing Wild Arctic exhibit and Shamu Stadium is a perfect combination! SeaWorld could really just buy in bulk 4 Flying theaters and send them to each SW park, and buy one for BGT and put an indoor ride somewhere, maybe where Akbar used to be? I love coasters, but I also love diversity in rides. I honestly think losing Wild Arctic would be a huge hit to the diversity of attraction types at the park. The fact that TurtleTrek, a previously, really cool attraction, has basically been decimated, doesn't leave me much hope.

I am personally most concerned about the amount of themeing for this coaster. If this coaster doesn't have any themeing I imagine it will be hard to achieve their arctic theme they're going for. Especially since they chose the track color as orange. I'm willing to bet this will have a nice entrance sign, but beyond that it seems up in the air.

Also, it looks like they're using the outdoor seating area for Mango Joes as the queue, to which I hope will look okay. We haven't had any word on Mango Joes being rethemed either. I wonder when/if they will be rethemeing the entire area to have a cohesive theme.

Is it just me or did they appear to retheme all of their attractions just prior to announcing their rides? I mean it seemed obvious that Ice Breaker would be some kind of Falcon. Texas Stingray came out of left field, considering the teaser they released literally read out Abyss in broken letters.. Even Mako at SWSD is being rumored to being rethemed (hopefully that coaster becomes Abyss, it makes way more sense.
I'm expecting some icy rockwork of some kind and some landscaping.

It seems they have some interest in continuing the 'arctic' theme in this area, which I think is significant

I'm expecting some icy rockwork of some kind and some landscaping.

It seems they have some interest in continuing the 'arctic' theme in this area, which I think is significant
I weary. I think we'll get it in the queue and that's about it. I think they'd put a lot more in the concept art if they actually intended to go very far with the idea. Instead they just show the coaster surrounded by the Arctic landscape.

They should have just ripped out wild arctic now and reused the polar bear exhibit as the queue.

^They already have plans for something else for Wild Arctic. That's why it wasn't used. Also they would not use the animal exhibits for a ride queue, as those exhibits aren't going anywhere.

Yesss finally someone else who is concerned about the theming lol. It is important though, since it’s basically what distinguishes the SeaWorld parks from the “discount” chains like Six Flags and Cedar Fair. And imo any park in Orlando has to meet the same bar as Disney and Universal, because that is the level of quality that guests are always going to expect of any Orlando park.

I really hope Mango Joes gets either a total retheme and a new name or simply becomes an indoor queue for Ice Breaker. It sounds like the former is more likely, which is fine as long as they don’t just paint the building white and call it a day. Some fake snow on the roofs of the buildings in the area would definitely help, along with more Arctic-looking pavement and signage and a dedicated soundtrack.