Illumination presents Sing | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination presents Sing

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And, yes, it's the bottom line that counts. :thumbsup:
Personally I think it's pointless to compare Universal and Disney's movie divisions since they are both strong, but if we really want to compare, the long term viability of last years movies and the merchandising power of them is far more in Disney's favor.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Personally I think it's pointless to compare Universal and Disney's movie divisions since they are both strong, but if we really want to compare, the long term viability of last years movies and the merchandising power of them is far more in Disney's favor.

Those number included DVD sales, VOD sales, etc. Which even then for Secret life and SING to be able to compete on profitability after zootopia and finding dory came out for home viewing earlier says a lot.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Those number included DVD sales, VOD sales, etc. Which even then for Secret life and SING to be able to compete on profitability after zootopia and finding dory came out for home viewing earlier says a lot.
I understand that.

My point is that Moana is now a Disney princess, which is automatic $$$. Dory is a merch beast and Zootopia has been selling well. I'm simply talking toys, plushes.... things that will keep the property relevant long term.

I can see Secret Life selling well in stores, but i'd be surprised to hear that Sing is selling merch other than the soundtrack/DVD all that well (considering I haven't seen any).

I understand that.

My point is that Moana is now a Disney princess, which is automatic $$$. Dory is a merch beast and Zootopia has been selling well. I'm simply talking toys, plushes.... things that will keep the property relevant long term.

I can see Secret Life selling well in stores, but i'd be surprised to hear that Sing is selling merch other than the soundtrack/DVD all that well (considering I haven't seen any).

Well, they sell them at UOR as well as a lot of keychains.

I think its easy to underestimate a jukebox musical due to confusing marketing etc. But I think its a false statement to push that Disney will be more successful and relevant. Moana is the weakest Disney princess and her staying power isn't that great.

Well, they sell them at UOR as well as a lot of keychains.

I think its easy to underestimate a jukebox musical due to confusing marketing etc. But I think its a false statement to push that Disney will be more successful and relevant. Moana is the weakest Disney princess and her staying power isn't that great.
I'm not saying Disney will always be more relevant. I'm saying out of last years movies, I expect that the ones Disney released last year to have longer staying power. And how do you come up with Moana being the weakest princess? Even by Box office standards that isn't true.

But as I said originally, I think it's a fairly pointless thing to even compare. Both Universal and Disney are doing very well at the box office.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
I'm not saying Disney will always be more relevant. I'm saying out of last years movies, I expect that the ones Disney released last year to have longer staying power. And how do you come up with Moana being the weakest princess? Even by Box office standards that isn't true.

But as I said originally, I think it's a fairly pointless thing to even compare. Both Universal and Disney are doing very well at the box office.

They already had to recall Moana merchandise for being racist...(i.e the Maui costume). 2. Toy analyst already stated Moana's outfit isn't iconic compared to the other princesses (No fairy tale gown) as well in the toy sales with only two characters make it harder to justify role playing compared to films like Cars and Marvel. 3. Compared to every other princess, with the exception of Merida, her toy sales have been the one with the least upward trending trajectory.

Don't get me wrong box office wise, Disney definitely has a heads up, they own three huge brands. I'm just battling this notion that Disney automatically means best thing ever in film and will do blockbusters over other films. Its not a good belief and ends up hurting consumers of Disney products more so than being beneficial.

They already had to recall Moana merchandise for being racist...(i.e the Maui costume). 2. Toy analyst already stated Moana's outfit isn't iconic compared to the other princesses (No fairy tale gown) as well in the toy sales with only two characters make it harder to justify role playing compared to films like Cars and Marvel. 3. Compared to every other princess, with the exception of Merida, her toy sales have been the one with the least upward trending trajectory.

Don't get me wrong box office wise, Disney definitely has a heads up, they own three huge brands. I'm just battling this notion that Disney automatically means best thing ever in film and will do blockbusters over other films. Its not a good belief and ends up hurting consumers of Disney products more so than being beneficial.
My point was never to say that Disney = Merch Success. They went through a period in the mid 2000's where their biggest film was Chicken Little, which is pretty sad. The movies you mentioned though are big IPs for Disney, just as Secret Life is for Uni... i'll always remain skeptical of Sing, but it clearly has it's audience.

Reactions: quinnmac000