Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023) | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Charles Marinet wasn't a good choice because....

I would be exhausted after listening to this for 5 minutes....

They are likely have the story taking place in New Donk City with Mario and Luigi so they will probably have Brooklyn accents which is why they went with Charlie Day and Chris Pratt...

Last edited:
Reactions: krazyhorrorkid
Nintendo is NORMALLY very hands on and while Mario is a weird casting, into the spider verse I'd argue has some weird casting on paper as well but worked out sooooo dam well.

So lets wait and see

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I mean they can not have the stereotypical Italian caricature AND someone who fits better?
Didn’t say I liked the casting per se, but I do think Mario could use a new voice in the film from what we’ve had in the games.

My bet is on a Jumanji-type of story (normal human characters get transported into bodies of the game characters). Explains away the stereotypical accents.

My bet is on a Jumanji-type of story (normal human characters get transported into bodies of the game characters). Explains away the stereotypical accents.
I'd need a lot of drinks to enjoy that

Feels like something they would do and it will suck then

These announcements made made laugh so hard, but I genuinely love them minus Pratt as Mario. I don't get the hate for everyone else.

Was anybody expecting a Mario animated movie from Illumination wouldn't be a full-on absurd comedy, though?

It's going to be extremely broad silliness, just like all Illumination movies, with a few stabs at "heart." I expect lots of pop needle drops that will be dated in about two years, too.

Was anybody expecting a Mario animated movie from Illumination wouldn't be a full-on absurd comedy, though?

It's going to be extremely broad silliness, just like all Illumination movies, with a few stabs at "heart." I expect lots of pop needle drops that will be dated in about two years, too.
I know what to expect from Illumination at this point so i'm not surprised, but I don't really get what happened to them. Their first film they ever made (the very first Despicable Me) was full of heart. Everything since then has been nonsensical.

Mario has always skewed comedic. I don't know what people expected otherwise.

The picks are...interesting. Definitely got a good laugh from the initial announcement. I'm willing to see where it goes but i'll admit, I have no idea where they're going with this.

Cool to see Cranky Kong and Foreman Spike get big billing roles in this!

If this was a live-action movie, I really don’t think they could’ve done any better than Anya Taylor-Joy, she’s literally perfect and she’ll be perfect to model the animated design after for the movie look.