Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023) | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Charles Marinet wasn't a good choice because....

I would be exhausted after listening to this for 5 minutes....

They are likely have the story taking place in New Donk City with Mario and Luigi so they will probably have Brooklyn accents which is why they went with Charlie Day and Chris Pratt...

Gotta bump this.
Your right. I love Charles but a whole film in his voice would make me tear my hair out.

I actually dont think this is going to be comedy filled like a lot of people suggest. Miyamoto was persistent in NOT making this movie because of how butchered he felt the IP would be if it was going to be executed into something that Mario isn't, so I'm sure if its good enough for Miyamoto (who has final say over the cut and direction the movie heads), it should be good enough for fans.

I actually dont think this is going to be comedy filled like a lot of people suggest. Miyamoto was persistent in NOT making this movie because of how butchered he felt the IP would be if it was going to be executed into something that Mario isn't, so I'm sure if its good enough for Miyamoto (who has final say over the cut and direction the movie heads), it should be good enough for fans.

Out of anything, while I am expecting the film to be comedically strong (This is rumored to be written by TTGo writers if memory serves); I can see this having a lot more emotional moments like how The Lego Batman Movie managed to strike that unholy balance between comedy and story.

That film has jokes coming a mile a minute, but has a hell of a good heart. I kind of expect this here too.

Out of anything, while I am expecting the film to be comedically strong (This is rumored to be written by TTGo writers if memory serves); I can see this having a lot more emotional moments like how The Lego Batman Movie managed to strike that unholy balance between comedy and story.

That film has jokes coming a mile a minute, but has a hell of a good heart. I kind of expect this here too.
I’m fine with the comedic moments as long as that’s not all it is. I want the movie to have the proper amount of heart as well.

I’m fine with the comedic moments as long as that’s not all it is. I want the movie to have the proper amount of heart as well.
You’ve got a lot of comedians here who are good at making pathos funny (Jack Black, Seth Rogan, Fred Armisen, Kegan Michael-Key). It’s kinda their whole gimmick.

I think the weakness is that THOSE actors are supporting.

This is obviously being set up in a way where Mario and Peach are playing the straight men to the absolute insanity taking place around them. That’s likely the safest route to take with the characters.

EDIT - My issue is that I don’t feel like Chris Pratt’s voice fits the Mario character. If he just turns into Emmett from Lego Movie, it will be disappointing.

Has anyone played a Mario game here? What do we expect beyond a comedy? The Mario games are not at all serious..... I’m confused by the discussion of what type of film it will be or not.

Reactions: SeventyOne
This is either a massive flop or close to a (pre Covid) billion dollars film franchise. Since Nintendo is working so closely on it I can see how it doesn’t end up being bad, I’m still reserved, but I think the Covid delay and them just making sure people don’t outright hate it is the cause for these tests. I’m sure a lot of films do this and we just don’t hear about it.

Something doesn’t add up. I’m willing to bet it’s a translation issue, the movie isn’t “done” but the overall structure is. They’re going to test show it (very normal practice), finish animation, tighten things up, etc.

I guess that means the intended launch date would've been this year then, until Sing and Minions had to get shifted.

Considering the last few times Mario got adapted in the US (Phillips and the Live Action film) I'd actually fully understand this.
Lol

I mean you’d think you’d just watch that old film and learn what was wrong

this is very non Nintendo look at their online or ports of older games Nintendo doesn’t give a crap normally what people say they just do what they want and you either buy it or not

I hope the film works but if it needs a year of testing tells me you got the wrong person to write the script or have little confidence in it