IMAX to come to Universal Cineplex | Inside Universal Forums

IMAX to come to Universal Cineplex

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 1, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ
From MagicCityMayhem's Twitter... you can follow them at twitter.com/magiccitymayhem

imax.jpg

Cool, but I wonder if it will be a REAL IMAX or one of the fake ones that they have at the AMCs like up in Altamonte Springs.

Last edited:
It is an AMC theater so my guess would be yeah considering a real IMAX would have to be redone. Unless they are taking the biggest theater in the Uni Cineplex and making it one, because honestly the main theater which is theater 7 I think, is freakin huge.

Only thing is, they currently have Sony SDDS sound systems and IMAX uses JBL Sonic Sound DDP. The only thing they would really have to do is upgrade the sound system a bit and make the screen a little larger. Honestly, it already feels like an IMAX in there.

IMAX also uses a higher resolution projector. But with a real IMAX down at Pointe Orlando I think I will probably just still go there. I will certainly give it a chance, but I don't have high hopes.

IMAX also uses a higher resolution projector. But with a real IMAX down at Pointe Orlando I think I will probably just still go there. I will certainly give it a chance, but I don't have high hopes.

If it's an actual IMAX then it will be lovely. Universal Cineplex is probably one of my favorite theaters. The big leather chairs are very comfy, lol.

This will be an awesome addition to CityWalk, but like Disneyhead I'm also skeptical if this will be the real deal or not. But I hope so, and I'll definitely be checking it out either way. IMAX should be popping up everywhere before long, considering the huge percentage of box office lots of movies have been claiming on IMAX screens. Remember the Dark Knight IMAX nightmare? Pointe Orlando was showing it around the clock (6am show times!), and it was still impossible to get a ticket.

So, Downtown Disney........ your turn to bring it......

Cool, but I wonder if it will be a REAL IMAX or one of the fake ones that they have at the AMCs like up in Altamonte Springs.

I can almost guarantee this will be the case. All the theaters here that were redone recently got that treatment, even the one in Times Square. If Times Square didn't get a legit one, I really don't think Universal will.

Only time will tell, though.

I watched the show Megaworld today on the Science Channel(?) and they did a feature on the replacement of the old 57' tall IMAX screen at Universal Citywalk Hollywood. It was a silver metallic 3D screen that they replaced it with. So, it would be consistent if they did install a true IMAX screen here. That said, How tall is the interior of the biggest theater at Citywalk Orlando?

Last edited:
Oh, by the way, I talked to the ticket seller at the CityWalk AMC yesterday and she said, that yes in fact they are turning theater 17 into the IMAX theater. And that it opens 12:01 on Dec. 17th with Avatar in 3-D IMAX.

Has anyone here seen IMAX 3D and how it compares with REAL-D 3D (also rebranded as Disney Digital 3D)?

IMAX 3D blows Real-D 3D out the water. The 3D quality of IMAX is alot better, plus Real D 3D is traditionally only shown in regular thearters now. IMAX 3D is just a plethora of alot more immersive than Real-D.

IMAX 3D blows Real-D 3D out the water. The 3D quality of IMAX is alot better, plus Real D 3D is traditionally only shown in regular thearters now. IMAX 3D is just a plethora of alot more immersive than Real-D.

Wow, I thought Real D was very impressive. I am not sure what you mean by "regular theaters". I do know that the screens for both must have a metallic surface (silver) to bump up the brightness.