In The Heights (2021 Film) | Inside Universal Forums

In The Heights (2021 Film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Lin-Manuel Miranda's 'In the Heights' Gets New Life at The Weinstein Co. (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter

The Weinstein Co. has acquired the rights to Lin-Manuel Miranda's other hit musical, In The Heights. The timing is obviously optimal. Hamilton is up for a record amount of Tony's, Lin just announced he's leaving Broadway July 9th, and he has Moana and Mary Poppins Returns in the works. He's a big name right now, so this is perfect timing.

Lin has said he will NOT be playing Usnavi in the film:

This isn't Weinstein's first venture into musicals. They made Chicago back in 2002, which went on to win Best Picture and helped to revive the musical-movie genre.

I love In The Heights. I saw it on Broadway with Karen Olivo. And then I saw the road show here in Orlando. I am looking forward to see what they can do with it.

I love In The Heights. I saw it on Broadway with Karen Olivo. And then I saw the road show here in Orlando. I am looking forward to see what they can do with it.
I wish I could've seen Olivo. I love her on the cast recording, but there's a video of her singing "Champagne" on youtube I always circle back around to and her and Lin's chemistry was amazing.

This will be nice to have, considering the sad news of Lin Manuel leaving Hamilton in JULY.

The OBC is supposed to stay on Broadway forever until I can get a ticket :mad::mad::mad:

This will be nice to have, considering the sad news of Lin Manuel leaving Hamilton in JULY.

The OBC is supposed to stay on Broadway forever until I can get a ticket :mad::mad::mad:
I feel the same way. I'm fighting back flying up there and spending a bunch of money just to see them once, but Lin has said he will open the West End version and i've a feeling there's a good chance he opens the touring production as well (Like he did with Heights). So there's still a chance.

Hopefully it actually gets out of development this time unlike what happened in 2011.
Quiara Alegria Hudes, who wrote the book for the original stage show, has a script written for this that they are working with. Supposedly Weinstein wants to shoestring this budget at $15M though so we'll see. The version in 2011 was supposed to have a $37M budget.

I wish I could've seen Olivo. I love her on the cast recording, but there's a video of her singing "Champagne" on youtube I always circle back around to and her and Lin's chemistry was amazing.
I also got to see her Tony Award winning role as Anita in West Side Story. She set the stage on fire. You know, she's from Winter Haven?

Quiara Alegria Hudes, who wrote the book for the original stage show, has a script written for this that they are working with. Supposedly Weinstein wants to shoestring this budget at $15M though so we'll see. The version in 2011 was supposed to have a $37M budget.

I see problem arising with that budget for sure. But hey can't be worse than what they did to Mama Mia.

I also got to see her Tony Award winning role as Anita in West Side Story. She set the stage on fire. You know, she's from Winter Haven?

I had heard she was from somewhere around here, I didn't remember exactly where though. I wish she would come back to the stage.

I know the sound is crap because their using a temp set-up and bullhorns, but I still love this:

Reactions: Disneyhead
Looking at the majority of what he's directed, it's been low-budget stuff. The Weinsten Co. wants this movie to come in somewhere around $15M, so I have to think that played a role in them choosing him.

Looking at the majority of what he's directed, it's been low-budget stuff. The Weinsten Co. wants this movie to come in somewhere around $15M, so I have to think that played a role in them choosing him.

Still none of his films have been what people would call great films. Especially not Jem and the Holograms (worst movie I have ever seen in my life)

Still none of his films have been what people would call great films. Especially not Jem and the Holograms (worst movie I have ever seen in my life)
Well, no. But with Harvey Weinstein and Miranda on as Executive producers, I have to think they aren't going to let this be absolute trash. Lin will be very protective of his baby.

All he has to do is a bare bones translation of the play. No big rework necessary here. It literally has like 4 locations, the Bodaga, the Salon, the Taxi Co., and The Club. That's it.

All he has to do is a bare bones translation of the play. No big rework necessary here. It literally has like 4 locations, the Bodaga, the Salon, the Taxi Co., and The Club. That's it.
I mean, they could literally go to Washington Heights, work with the city to shoot on location for a few days and it wouldn't take much more. I suspect they'll use a backlot though, but i'd love it if they actually did the real thing.

So an update on this:
  • Warner Brothers nabbed this after The Weinstein Company debacle.
  • Release date: June 26, 2020
  • Cast: Anthony Ramos (Usnavi), Corey Hawkins (Benny)
  • Jon M. Chu is still directing
  • Marc Klein is penning the script, with musical book by Quiara Alegría Hudes (probably more of a credit than anything as she did the musical book for broadway)
Knowing that Lin-Manuel Miranda is too old for the part now, I couldn't think of anyone i'd rather see play the role of Usnavi more than Anthony Ramos. He previously portrayed Usnavi during a 5 day stint at the Kennedy Center in DC last May, John Laurens and Phillip Hamilton (2015-16) in Hamilton and most recently was in A Star is Born. Corey Hawkins is another solid pick. Julliard graduate and was nominated for a Tony Award in 2017 (Six Degrees of Separation).

It was sort of hard to find a video of him singing, but here's what Hawkin's voice sounds like. I can definitely picture him as Benny with a voice like his:

‘In The Heights’ Finds Its Benny In Corey Hawkins | Deadline

Reactions: AlexanderMBush