Is Howl-O-Scream worth checking out if I have HHN FFP? | Inside Universal Forums

Is Howl-O-Scream worth checking out if I have HHN FFP?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mar 17, 2016
Hey everyone! Been travelling to HHN every year since 2015, but I finally made the move to Tampa! So this year, I'll be getting HHN frequent fear to go multiple times!

Was wondering everyone's opinion....If I have the "season pass" to HHN, is it worth buying a separate ticket to try out Busch Gardens Howl-O-Scream too? Or will it be underwhelming compared to HHN? What's your experiences with HOS?

Reactions: shiekra38
Absolutely worth it. In my experience (and the common sentiment honestly): HHN dominates the production value game while HOS is "scarier". Both have their charms and both are a great time. If you have the money & time to do both, definitely do both.

Reactions: Jakemeister
I always prefer HOS to HHN-- HHN is slick and amazing, but HOS I think is more fun. I kind of like the simpler, almost "home made" feel of HOS. When you work with a smaller budget you get more creative sometimes.

Reactions: shiekra38
Yes. Especially if you like Coasters at night. Overall I would say the atmosphere is little more spooky because it's less crowded and more spread out. There's definitely more potential for isolated scares.

If you ever hear people talk about old school HHN, Howl-O-Scream is a pretty reasonable representation of what it was. Several of the old HHN gags are used there and as a whole is much more in your face than HHN is now.

That said I generally don't make the trek out to Tampa and have only done Howl-O-Scream a few times. SeaWorld gives a lot of the same vibe but with more growing pains and also some interesting experiences that you don't get anywhere else. Pirate bar (we missed unfortunately) was always crowded and people seemed to like, the aerialists in the old Beer school building, and other touches were really fun. I know we definitely plan to go at least one night.

Reactions: Jakemeister
Hey everyone! Been travelling to HHN every year since 2015, but I finally made the move to Tampa! So this year, I'll be getting HHN frequent fear to go multiple times!

Was wondering everyone's opinion....If I have the "season pass" to HHN, is it worth buying a separate ticket to try out Busch Gardens Howl-O-Scream too? Or will it be underwhelming compared to HHN? What's your experiences with HOS?
I started going to HOS in 2000 and HHN in 2001..They are two very very different events and always have been

HHN is polished, programmed, and consistent. HOS relies more on improv and a "get the scare" mentality

When something flops at HOS is flops very very hard...but when it all works together it is one of the best horror events in the state

It's much more practical than HHN, more aggressive, and the houses tend to feel a bit more lengthy than HHN even though it may not be the case (or maybe it is who knows)

Parts of BGT are also incredibly creepy at night and there's a good chance you may be stepping into a scare zone and not even realize

In short, I recommend everyone give HOS Tampa and Orlando a go

I often say HHN is an arena rock concert, and HOS Tampa is an alt band at your local theater

Howl-O-Scream Tampa had my FAVORITE house run of the entire season (Witch of the Woods), & arguably one of my most accomplished event nights (All houses twice, all coasters once). It's a *very* different event and I can confidently say HHN is the best produced, but HoS Orlando had the best streets of 2021 & HoS Tampa had the best value.

Howl-O-Scream is taking the energy from HHN of yore and replicating it. HoS Orlando felt like a HUGE street party, and was so much of the energy that made me fall in love with HHN. HoS Tampa has the house energy that I fell in love with from HHN 16, kind of a polished DIY feel, that's a bit grungy, but with REALLY intense actors.

If you can swing going to one of the events, if not both, I say go for it. You won't regret it.

Howl-O-Scream Tampa had my FAVORITE house run of the entire season (Witch of the Woods), & arguably one of my most accomplished event nights (All houses twice, all coasters once). It's a *very* different event and I can confidently say HHN is the best produced, but HoS Orlando had the best streets of 2021 & HoS Tampa had the best value.

Howl-O-Scream is taking the energy from HHN of yore and replicating it. HoS Orlando felt like a HUGE street party, and was so much of the energy that made me fall in love with HHN. HoS Tampa has the house energy that I fell in love with from HHN 16, kind of a polished DIY feel, that's a bit grungy, but with REALLY intense actors.

If you can swing going to one of the events, if not both, I say go for it. You won't regret it.
Totally forgot to mention the street party atmosphere. That was another thing of a bygone era at HHN. Especially back in the years it was at Islands, the massive foam party at Toon Lagoon was straight up fun!