Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Islands of Adventure 25th Anniversary

Dec 3, 2020
Next year is Islands of Adventure’s 25th anniversary. For a park that has continued to change the entire theme park landscape, from it’s grand opening in 1999 to the debut of the world’s first Wizarding World area and beyond, it would be more than deserved for it to have some sort of celebration next year.

I’m not expecting any major new attractions to commemorate 25 years, but some decorations throughout the park and maybe a few new entertainment offerings would be a fine event, especially for something small to fill the gap leading up to Epic Universe. I know anniversaries are not typically Universal’s thing, but what do you all think?

Next year is Islands of Adventure’s 25th anniversary. For a park that has continued to change the entire theme park landscape, from it’s grand opening in 1999 to the debut of the world’s first Wizarding World area and beyond, it would be more than deserved for it to have some sort of celebration next year.

I’m not expecting any major new attractions to commemorate 25 years, but some decorations throughout the park and maybe a few new entertainment offerings would be a fine event, especially for something small to fill the gap leading up to Epic Universe. I know anniversaries are not typically Universal’s thing, but what do you all think?
Probably a T shirt or coffee mug. Universal doesn't seem to care much for anniversary celebrations. ....It would be nice though, if they'd pivot, and do a decent celebration like you suggested.

With UO now having a large and avid fan base, you would think someone at UO merchandise would realize the value of an IOA tribute merch collection. I could easily see myself buying $200+ worth of shirts, mugs, posters, and vinyl of the park's soundtrack.

Ideally, maybe a nighttime show or one of the theaters for a stage show just to have something and a few decorations at the entrance.

I'm literally just asking for like three IOA specific merch items...

Mug preferably

Probably a T shirt or coffee mug. Universal doesn't seem to care much for anniversary celebrations. ....It would be nice though, if they'd pivot, and do a decent celebration like you suggested.

I think this might have been true for the 20th but Universal have definitely started to tap into the nostalgia market.

The tribute stores if anything have shown Universal how much interest there is.

At 25 years old, there’s a generation of people who visited as kids taking their own kids now.

I think this might have been true for the 20th but Universal have definitely started to tap into the nostalgia market.

The tribute stores if anything have shown Universal how much interest there is.

At 25 years old, there’s a generation of people who visited as kids taking their own kids now.
I'm going to issue the most extreme challenge that exists, to Universal, to force them to do a half decent 25th Anniversary for IOA..... Universal Mgt. : "I Triple Dog Dare You". :pew::lol:

It's kind of astonishing (and frightening!) to think that the park is already on the verge of hitting 25! My memories of my first visit in November of 1999 are still crystal clear. It's a park that has only gotten better with age. Universal has managed to allow it to expand and grow, yet nothing about its fundamental character has changed all that dramatically. Other parks in the Orlando area (including right next door...) should have taken note!

I'd love to see some kind of a temporary nighttime show, but I'd expect we'll be getting just merchandise. And I do expect some merchandise, given how nicely Universal honored USF's 30th with a surprisingly extensive retro line.

And since they didn't do this for USF's 30th, I'll renew my call for it now: a lavish, hardcover coffee table book about the creation of the Universal Orlando theme parks, filled with concept art and behind-the-scenes photos.

vinyl of the park's soundtrack.

WhirlwindOldfashionedBergerpicard-max-1mb.gif

New poster prints please!

Definitely.

[QUOTE="belloq87, post: 979687, member: 1370"
And since they didn't do this for USF's 30th, I'll renew my call for it now: a lavish, hardcover coffee table book about the creation of the Universal Orlando theme parks, filled with concept art and behind-the-scenes photos.
[/QUOTE]

I love collecting books on theme parks, and yet as much of a fan of the Universal parks I am, there's only 2 decent books on Uni in my collection... both unofficial. The Jaws ride and the Unofficial UO Story.

Meanwhile, I have just about every Disney & non-Disney theme park book.

[QUOTE="belloq87, post: 979687, member: 1370"

I love collecting books on theme parks, and yet as much of a fan of the Universal parks I am, there's only 2 decent books on Uni in my collection... both unofficial. The Jaws ride and the Unofficial UO Story.

[/QUOTE]
Two excellent books....inside stories....'Jaybangs' written by Sam Gennawey and 'Universal vs. Disney' by Gennawey...... The real info from the primary sources, most especially 'Jaybangs'.

Two excellent books....inside stories....'Jaybangs' written by Sam Gennawey and 'Universal vs. Disney' by Gennawey...... The real info from the primary sources, most especially 'Jaybangs'.

I can definitely second @Mad Dog's two recommendations here. They're excellent and essential.

I can definitely second @Mad Dog's two recommendations here. They're excellent and essential.
Yes. And they put the lie to so many inaccurate stories and background that have crept into the UO lore over the years. The real behind the scenes, what really happened
from the mouths of the people who made the decisions. Once you start reading you can't put these books down.

It's a park that has only gotten better with age. Universal has managed to allow it to expand and grow, yet nothing about its fundamental character has changed all that dramatically. Other parks in the Orlando area (including right next door...) should have taken note!
Strike Peter Pan, strike true

IOA is turning into a classic park right before our eyes.

Marvel reminds me of the 90s while still feeling fresh, and TL is starting to become oddly charming

As many new things as we've seen, the park still feels very close to what it was in '99

There's only one thing for it.

View attachment 18304
Delete this