it's a small world - Lawsuit | Inside Universal Forums

it's a small world - Lawsuit

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 7, 2010
Belfast, UK
Basically a Disabled fella was on It's a small world when it broke down for thirty minutes, he won a lawsuit against Disney due to the fact he "suffers from panic attacks and high blood pressure, which was aggravated by a need to urinate."

I find this to be a complete joke, if your go on a ride regardless of being disabled then there's a possibility of it breaking down. I find this disgusting that he sued Disney for this and the fact he won.

What do you guys think?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/27/disney-small-world-ride/2025273/

Its only $8000 and 33% of that is going to the lawyers, so this guy didn't really sue for malicious purposes, not to mention Disney I guess violated some sort of disability act that fine was $4000 of it...non issue IMHO.

If I were stuck on iaSW for 30 minutes and had to listen to that damned song on loop I would sue, too. Its hard for me to make it through the ride period.

Clearly he had some point if he won, though. Its also $8000 and that's pocket change for Disney. Though they'll probably take it out of the budget for Fantasyland or something ridiculous like that (or use it as an excuse to stop Disney Springs again)

If I were stuck on iaSW for 30 minutes and had to listen to that damned song on loop I would sue, too. Its hard for me to make it through the ride period.

Clearly he had some point if he won, though. Its also $8000 and that's pocket change for Disney. Though they'll probably take it out of the budget for Fantasyland or something ridiculous like that (or use it as an excuse to stop Disney Springs again)

Yeah that's true or carousel of progress when people try to leave I want to murder someone lol. I don't know much about American law to be able to comment on the amounts etc.

Disney makes more then $8000 a minute. Legal department probably laughed real hard when they saw the suit come in.

The major problem is this opens the door for lawyers to sue when any ride stops for any reason.
Can you see a class action lawsuit filed by 16 people on a roller coaster when it E stops
There are lawyers who will send someone with business cards to stand at exit of a ride when it E Stops
The amount here is not going to noticed but it may have a chilling effect on ride operation
When a ride stops the parks may have to institute a minimum run time after a stop ie run the ride an hour
to make sure it is fixed rather than let people on to run it

Last edited:
As long as parks are taking reasonable care of guests they cant be sued. Breakdowns are a normal and expected affair on any ride. However leaving guests stuck for 30 minutes is excessive and unnecessary. After the ride had been down for 10 or 15 minutes they should have just made the call to evacuate instead of continuing to wait.

The major problem is this opens the door for lawyers to sue when any ride stops for any reason.
Can you see a class action lawsuit filed by 16 people on a roller coaster when it E stops
There are lawyers who will send someone with business cards to stand at exit of a ride when it E Stops
The amount here is not going to noticed but it may have a chilling effect on ride operation
When a ride stops the parks may have to institute a minimum run time after a stop ie run the ride an hour
to make sure it is fixed rather than let people on to run it

That's not how it works, just because someone sue someone else doesn't mean it's going to induce a copy-cat lawsuit attack. You've been watching too much Seinfeld.

Even the most famous ridiculous lawsuit, based apon the spilling of hot coffee, was a genuine attempt to stop McDonalds from overheating the drink to 130+ degrees, which had burned the elderly ladies legs to blackness. There had been 10s of thousands of complaints before it, and the lady was attempting to stand up to change it. They charged McDs with a days worth of coffee earnings as determined by the jury, but despite the win McDs protected themselves with anti-lawsuit systems which prevent reproach.

I think this situation was strong, but had it been a lawsuit based on an reoccuring and unessessary situation then I think it would be more justified. He may have just asked for someone to check the cars when the ride runs down, for the safety of those who are more disabled.

Suing Disney for something they can't necessarily control is a bit excessive. Then again so is stopping the ride for 30 minutes but still.

Disney lost a law suit???????? Say whhhhhaaaaaaatt.

That ride brakes down way too much, they should just tear the piece of crap down. But there is no reason to sue and win.

...carousel of progress when people try to leave I want to murder someone lol.

Ah that makes me so :censored: mad!!! It's not just that people are getting off, but that it is 1 person getting off every 60 seconds. I mean people getting off is what makes the ride so horrible, just stay on the ride and it is not that bad. Or everyone that wants to leave, do it all at the same time!!!!!!!!! What are they thinking "oh I want to get off but look someone else is, I'll just wait 60 seconds so no one notices"? It should be legal to murder people in a situation like this, right?

Dang for the lawsuit, will they be adding tiny signs that say "If this ride malfunctions you may be stuck for an extended period of time." "Do not get on if you are in need or will be in need to urinate."
But $8,000 is prob less than they pay their lawyers.