Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

January 11, 2014 Photo Update – Simpsons, Parking, Wizarding World and Despicable Me

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
jan14.jpg

Our latest photo update is up, courtesy of Jonathan: http://insideuniversal.net/2014/01/january-11-2014-photo-update-simpsons-parking-wizarding-world-and-despicable-me/

Comment below to let us know what you think.

Really great pictures! It's truly unbelievable how different the park is starting to look....so much construction. It'll be nice to see the games in front of the Simpson's queue. Add some life to the area. But gosh, the park looks bad right now haha. So many construction walls. Reminds me of DCA a few years back. All worth it though ;) I hope they finish the Simpsons expansion fast.

Despicable Me's facade looks fantastic, although I find it mind boggling why they didn't make the "tree" backdrop a bit taller to FULLY hide the blue show building. Seriously, just a few more feet and it would've been completely covered. Very odd choice. Also, not happy that the first part of the queue will apparently be the same old left over T2 queue area. I hope it's at least partially themed. Just seems weird that you enter through the house and then boom, back to plain metal...

SSFL will be a wonderful addition though. I'm excited :)

From Westcoaster's pictures, it looks like they've already cleared all of the land that the new tour animation will be located at, so it'll be interesting to see how soon they'll start construction!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing the tree backdrop would look unproportional compared to the rest of the building. They'd need to wrap the trees over and above the building on the right hand side.

Also, not happy that the first part of the queue will apparently be the same old left over T2 queue area. I hope it's at least partially themed. Just seems weird that you enter through the house and then boom, back to plain metal...
I'm going to guess that the queue themeing is going to be the last touch of the ride, which is par for the course.

I'm guessing the tree backdrop would look unproportional compared to the rest of the building. They'd need to wrap the trees over and above the building on the right hand side.

They could've added clouds or a hill back drop above the trees or something else cartoony. Even disproportionate trees would be better in my book than a visible show building. You know? It's like...you go to all that effort to make such a beautiful detailed facade and you stop short...Universal is good with working with scale illusions.

Executives in planning room covering topic of show building visibility: "Why spend the extra money?"

CUT TO: 

Executives looking at the facade and commenting on the visible show building: "It's good...yes...it's good enough." 

I'd argue that Universal Plaza and Despicable Me are far beyond just "good enough," but that's just me...

Yeah, really nice detailing in all but I do wish they added the clouds like they planned on early on.

To make matters worse, that building will not be lit up like Terminator's was, making for a bizarre dark spot on top of the Frankenstein parking garage come nightfall.

Well they're gonna LOATHE Hogwarts being lit up then *eyeroll*

On behalf of every Universal employee and fan:

F#$& you, Universal's Neighbors.

I can imagine this is another attempt to please the neighbors as the lights on T2 was a huge topic for light pollution in 1999.
Also, there's no logical reason for it to be lit up at night NOW, since when it was T2's building, the building itself was a design "icon" of sorts and very prominent. For Minion Mayhem, they've went to greater lengths to cover it and just make it "the sky" or whatever. So lighting it up at night in its new form wouldn't make much sense anymore.