Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jobs at USH

U

UniversalFan

Hey, I have questions, I really want to work at USH when i am 16 years of age. But the park claims they haven't offered minors from the past year, and they have. And they tell me that you must be 18 to apply. Who should I trust, the park staff or my friends that works there?

California state law requires a work permit from the high school or equivalent office, and a minimum age of 16 and a half from what I remember. That said - most positions in theme parks require a minimum age of 18 to meet legal requirements for operating machinery, chemicals, and ride operating systems. This would eliminate most positions for you, unless you were to go into a department such as Amazing Photos, or retail sales, which don't require much in the way of adult consent for potentially hazardous equipment/chemicals. Even then, they may have different requirements for age that would keep them from wanting to hire a minor. 

TL;DR: Believe the staff. Check the USH Jobs website for seasonal position requirements, and keep your eyes on it! 

California state law requires a work permit from the high school or equivalent office, and a minimum age of 16 and a half from what I remember. That said - most positions in theme parks require a minimum age of 18 to meet legal requirements for operating machinery, chemicals, and ride operating systems. This would eliminate most positions for you, unless you were to go into a department such as Amazing Photos, or retail sales, which don't require much in the way of adult consent for potentially hazardous equipment/chemicals. Even then, they may have different requirements for age that would keep them from wanting to hire a minor. 
TL;DR: Believe the staff. Check the USH Jobs website for seasonal position requirements, and keep your eyes on it! 
Thanks! But my friends that work there, aka Linus told me he worked there at the age of 16, so i might have a chance, if I work at USH, I will promise to do as much as I can to help the site. aka free tix, any news, etc.

Thanks! But my friends that work there, aka Linus told me he worked there at the age of 16, so i might have a chance, if I work at USH, I will promise to do as much as I can to help the site. aka free tix, any news, etc.
Depending on when he worked there they could have changed their minimum age requirements after.

Depending on when he worked there they could have changed their minimum age requirements after.
I contacted the staffing department, they told me that there are no minor positions available at this time, the staffing department did say that there are opportunities for minors. :) Just talked to them.

It's because of the department he's in, then. That just means that those departments where minors can work are all full right now. (Disney was the same way when I worked there.) So you have a chance later! Just remember to get that work permit as soon as you can. 

It's because of the department he's in, then. That just means that those departments where minors can work are all full right now. (Disney was the same way when I worked there.) So you have a chance later! Just remember to get that work permit as soon as you can. 
You worked at Disneyland? Awesome! :D

You worked at Disneyland? Awesome! :D

Miss B, what did you do at Disney? :)
It was pretty awesome, and I do miss it often! I was a custodian for Disneyland side, and my main areas were Tomorrowland and Adventureland though we rotate through the park and can be anywhere any given shift, as well as helping often with the cleanup and crowd control for Fantasmic! and the firework show. I was originally supposed to audition for entertainment, having been referred over by a friend in casting, but I chickened out before the audition and went to the regular hiring fair instead. As a minor (I was 17 at the time) I could only do custodial or photopass, so I chose custodial. 

It was pretty awesome, and I do miss it often! I was a custodian for Disneyland side, and my main areas were Tomorrowland and Adventureland though we rotate through the park and can be anywhere any given shift, as well as helping often with the cleanup and crowd control for Fantasmic! and the firework show. I was originally supposed to audition for entertainment, having been referred over by a friend in casting, but I chickened out before the audition and went to the regular hiring fair instead. As a minor (I was 17 at the time) I could only do custodial or photopass, so I chose custodial. 
That's so awesome :)

There are zero departments allowing minors at the moment which I can 100% attest to, but I believe CityWalk employs them, might want to try there. Also, seasonal, but that's not for another good long while.
Operations especially is very strict about this.
Yeah, I've been told that too. But the departments available are retail and other. I'll keep you posted. BTW for those wanting to work at USH, there is a job opening as a studio tour driver.

I will say that the tour guide hiring process is VERY rigorous and very intense. For every 100 that apply, I believe 12 get hired - or used to, it's likely changed. The manual is a good 3 inches thick, the hiring tests take two weeks, and there is a huge test at the end based on the giant tour manual. Start studying up on your Universal history and film knowledge now, watch tour video to get an idea of the flow, and practice your own spiels now. Make sure you're comfortable with it, and can talk in front of people with ease. 

I will say that the tour guide hiring process is VERY rigorous and very intense. For every 100 that apply, I believe 12 get hired - or used to, it's likely changed. The manual is a good 3 inches thick, the hiring tests take two weeks, and there is a huge test at the end based on the giant tour manual. Start studying up on your Universal history and film knowledge now, watch tour video to get an idea of the flow, and practice your own spiels now. Make sure you're comfortable with it, and can talk in front of people with ease. 
Yeah, i know the script very well, i do not get stage fright,etc.BTW I even got to assist on the tour. It was cool!