Kayla, 30-year-old Orca, Dies at SeaWorld | Inside Universal Forums

Kayla, 30-year-old Orca, Dies at SeaWorld

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sigh. You know this is going to draw the negative spotlight back on them. Good thing they're starting to emphasize their coasters. I honestly think that doubling down on that direction (coasters) gives them wiggle room to get rid of their orcas if PR ultimately forces them to.

Last edited:
They can't just get rid of them, there's nowhere for them to go.

Psh, doesn't eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil SeaWorld realize that the moment they're released into the wild, their lives will become a happy, rainbow and sunshine-filled dream utopia? Blackfish told me, so it MUST be true! :whistle:

Seriously though, can someone please rebut the "orcas live for ~70 years in teh wild and ~30 in captivity" argument? Mainly so I have a proper rebuttal?

Last edited:
^Research from the Alaska Fisheries Science Center states that Killer Whale lifespans at SeaWorld are comparable to those in the wild.

Nobody knows exactly because of a limited research timeframe, but the average lifespan for male Orcas is estimated at 25-40 years whilst for females it is around 30-50 years. There are male Orcas in their late 20s and 30s at SeaWorld San Diego & San Antonio and there are females in their 40s and 50s in Orlando & San Diego.

Of course, there will have been whales in the wild that have lived to 60/70 years old, possibly more, but that is the same as saying that since the world's oldest person reached 114 years of age, people passing away in their 70s and 80s must have had a terrible, unhealthy life full of mistreatment. It's just not true.