Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

King Kong's Future

Insider information is nice and all but tbh it shouldn't give anyone the right to act super above it all and knowledgable. Why? Because everything is subject to change. Period. Have a bit of humility.

Right now I'm reading Universal vs. Disney by Sam Gennaway. In the book he talks about how just how close Universal was to acquiring the rights to use DC and Looney Tunes from WB for the then "Cartoon World" theme park that would've opened next to USF. Universal wanted to give them 6% royalty shares, and WB wanted 8%. Jay Stein tried to convince Sidney Shienberg to ask for 7%, which would have for sure gotten them it. They went to meet, and if Shienberg just said, "Okay, 7%", IOA would be vastly different as these projects were written up, scripted and ready to be announced and go into construction at any second. Looney Tunes and DC Land, right at their fingertips. If you had insiders then in the mid-90s, you'd be all, "Oh yeah DC Land at Universal Florida... it's happening. Tell your friends."

Then Shienberg told the head of WB (who still wouldn't agree to 6%) "We don't need your f**king characters", walked out and effectively ended the deal over Hollywood politics. 

Everything is subject to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ which I hope I haven't come off that way, I hope I made it clear multiple times that what I'm stating are just ideas basex on whats happening currently in Hollywood and Orlando and to be simply be open to some new ideas coming to USH even if they seem a bit fantastical, but nothing is of course set in stone, I hope I made that clear as crystal multiple times...i don't wanna be viewed upon as high and mighty, I just want us all to be open to anything Universal may throw at us. Just like I'm open to the idea of Diagon Alley being a possibility here now, even though I wasn't a few months ago.

S'cool.

Also everybody read that book.

Now.

It's your Inside Universal homework.

There will be a test.

Maybe.

Ok not really but do read it!

I typed a long logical response but I realized it would be pointless. All I will say is that you have to have 1 foot in the fanboy door and 1 foot in the this is real life/real money and a real business door. 

And that's exactly where I have my feet, one in each door. :) I wouldn't be mentioning it if I didn't think it was logical or possible. If we only ever posted about confirmed projects and not talk about the possibilities of the future of USH, it'd be very boring. Never hurts to dream about the future, especially if there's some validity to some info. All I've said is that as a business, Universal is looking to radically transform USH. My apologies you thought your response would've been pointless...

I feel like you took everything I said as if I was stating it as a fact. I simply (mentioned this 100 times) want us to be open to the possibility of more radical expansion at this point.

No, i was simply saying that many of your posts you throw out great ideas that I would love to see happen, but they are not really logical (I'm half Vulcan).

Why rebuild the same exact ride? They would tear down Kong 360 at 8 years old (No E-ticket is ever planned on leaving that soon) and then rebuild it somewhere else. Because the 360 portion "IS" part of the florida ride. Plus they are using mini trams. We have a tram tour, we aren't going to get a "mini" tram ride too. 

You have to understand the people signing off on the attractions are pencil pushers, not fanboys. 

Remember how JP in IOA was supposedly going to get that big expansion for JW then they focused on Kong Instead. why? because its a new IP. You could build another JP ride 3 times the size of the new Kong in IOA and the attendance increase still would not match that of bringing in something fresh. 

Why make more JP T-shirts when we can have Kong and JP t-shirts?

This isn't moving a flat ride moving to a new area to help crowd flow. This is an E-ticket. Its 40% of the reason  people ride the tram. Have you seen the footprint in IOA. its HUGE. It would not fit where the Kong ride is now or anywhere on the lower lot without taking out Mummy or 3 other sound stages.

You are stating a dream. nothing is impossible in life but its a dream that is not 1 foot in the real life door.  

You compared moving Kong to getting MM and WWoHP. Again taking out 2 very very low traffic areas and replacing them with the 2 hottest franchisee's and rides is not the same as tearing down an E-ticket and rebuilding it somewhere else. 

Its the same as living in florida and thinking They will double there Springfield because ours is 2 stories. Nope they already have it. Why not make there Despicable Me queue bigger? Or give them 2 theaters? Its so popular. Its just not how it works. You get what you get and you can get simple upgrades to keep it fresh/place making but not redoing $120m attractions. Its Never happened at any theme park ever. 

Victoria Station, surprising yes, but tearing down that area and rebuilding shopping/dinning is like 1/10th the cost or even far less of a new E-ticket

Yes Universal is unique as a park and many things they are doing are surprising to us as fans who felt neglected but taking out older rides and putting new ones in is not revolutionary. Plus if you moved Kong at the same time you would have to open another new"tram" attraction to offset it. and by the time Kong could come here Universal should be

I'm not trying to sound rude or anything but your posts make it seem like Kong coming is far more possible than it not coming. That is simply far from true. Thats my point. 

I'm just glad USH has its own forums where there are others who think about it daily like me can have these discussions. Because its not like I can turn to my roommate and talk about the possibly of a new Kong ride coming hahaha

Reactions: ...
Yeahhh, this is just gonna go in circles, because you still did not see my main point nor my reasoning, and misunderstood most of what I said as some fan boy ideas. So I'm with Jon that it's time to just respectfully agree to disagree.

Just be happy I'm not suggesting Shrek is getting a loop in the current refurbishment ;)

Universal Studios Hollywood has always had attractions as part of the studio tour that eventually became a standalone attraction at Orlando (i.e. Jaws, Disaster, Kongfrontation). However, I hope that Universal upgrades the 360 with some physical props instead of turning the entire park into simulators

Universal Studios Hollywood has always had attractions as part of the studio tour that eventually became a standalone attraction at Orlando (i.e. Jaws, Disaster, Kongfrontation). However, I hope that Universal upgrades the 360 with some physical props instead of turning the entire park into simulators
Kong 360 3D will not close, or leave, or get an upgrade.  Focus is elsewhere on the property.  Remember...Future money!