Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lawsuit Accusing VB's Puihi of Head Injury to Teen

I'm not really sure what to make of this allegation. From the article:
"The teenager rode Puihi water ride . . . with her parents and family."
"She flipped off the raft as the ride reached the pool at the end of the ride."
"When she fell off, another rider’s foot “smashed violently into (her) head”"
"the teenager was trapped under the ride as the 200-pound raft moved into the splash pool"
"she nearly drowned before a lifeguard pulled her out from underneath the raft"

That slide is legit dangerous. I had almost the same thing happen to our group. And one of our people almost hit the edge of the first cone section. I hope They go back in and make it safer.

"at least" $15,000. That's just a starting point. Typical legalese depending on the statutes involved.

$15,000 is probably the medical and other real costs after what insurance paid. After that, they'll go after punitive damages.

"When she fell off, another rider’s foot “smashed violently into (her) head”"

This is what stands out. Rider's feet are supposed to be in the middle of the float at all times until they land in the splash pool. How did she get smashed if she fell out?

It's terrible news for the girl and I can't imagine the trauma she experienced - but quick glance looks like maybe they were messing around a bit on the float when they shouldn't have been?

I wonder how Universal will change this ride to be safer?

Safety has never been a concern for me at Universal, but waterparks are kind of a different animal...Bit more unpredictable

And also, I think "almost drowned" is a bit of an exageration

What I'm curious is, why Proslide isn't being looked at in this, because I would wager if this does go in the way in the family of the girl injured, that Universal is not the only one to blame.

To be honest, I am on the side that @Brian G. has said.

Any update on this?

I've flipped over on a few water park raft rides. I didn't know it was grounds for lawsuit. Let me go collect these coins.
:bs: grow a pair. Been on that slide. Sorry anybody gets hurt but really.

Just reading this (headed to VB Weds). But the more I learn about lawsuits- even the ones that seem frivolous- there can always be backstories. And often times, lawsuits are the only thing that makes companies/corporations change and "hold their feet to the fire", so to speak. The McDonald's million dollar coffee lawsuit is a perfect example of this. McDonalds was 100% in the wrong there and only because of the lawsuit, adjusted and enforced their policies.

Completely making this up- but let's say there have been 35+ complaints of this ride- but Universal is doing nothing about it. They would be found negligent. If you wonder why, after a few weeks, they change the rafts or load patterns on certain rides, often times it's things like this behind the scenes taking corrective actions to potential issues. Knowing about a dangerous situation and doing nothing is way worse than a lawsuit. Not saying some lawsuits aren't ridiculous- but I've learned to keep an open mind in every situation.

I've noticed the VB team members really enforce the "jump out feet first" policy at the end of the slides. My first time to VB was well after this incident, so I'm not sure if this was always a thing?