Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Leaky Cauldron Reviews

Jun 12, 2010
There should be a thread dedicated to the Leaky Cauldron! I love this restaurant, and how it looks just like it did in the movie. The staff provides excellent service, they bring the food out to you quickly so you don't have to carry your own trays. A staff member told me they would start selling hot butterbeer "soon", probably as a seasonal/winter drink around the time of the Harry Potter event.

I ate there for the first time this weekend. I got the specialty chicken sandwich, the tongue tying lemon squash drink, and potted chocolate cream for dessert.

The sandwich was good, had large pieces of fresh bacon on top, very chicken-y and cheesy. It appealed to me more than anything else on the menu there, I think overall the choices at 3B are more appealing to a mass audience. I heard several other guests comment that "everything had fish in it" at Leaky, and from the street you could smell cooking fish as you walked by. Fish probably doesn't appeal to as many people. I would get the sandwich again, especially because it was cheaper than all of the other entrees.

When they prepare the tongue-tying lemon squash, they freshly squeeze half a lemon into the cup. It's tasty, has a natural sour lemon flavor that is not overly sweet. Not regular lemonade. I didn't finish it, it was just too much for me to drink at the time.

The potted chocolate cream was GREAT. Not just pudding, it was more of a custard/chocolate brulee with a deep chocolate flavor, and a bit of raspberry sauce and whipped cream on top to add to the flavor. It tasted like it had heavy cream and eggs in it, not just a "jello-like" consistency. I loved how it came in the little jar.

Here are pictures of what I got (not my pictures):
l.jpg

tongue-tying-lemon.jpg

l.jpg

Thanks for the review....I love it there too but do agree that the menu is a bit limited in a mainstream sense. I also got the chicken sandwich.

Haven't tried the sandwiches, but the toad in the hole was very good when I had it. Bangers and mash were good, too. I'd have either of those again, but I probably prefer the toad in the hole.

There's only two fish dishes on the menu.

Being English I can't wait (2 weeks and counting!) to try the US take on some classic Pub Grub. The Stew is gonna be on the top of my list. The Hogsmeade and DA Menus are a huge step up for Uni. Most other locations in the park are the usual burgers, sandwiches etc. Which while are not a problem, if they want people to spend more days in the parks, they need the variety.

There's only two fish dishes on the menu.

Being English I can't wait (2 weeks and counting!) to try the US take on some classic Pub Grub. The Stew is gonna be on the top of my list. The Hogsmeade and DA Menus are a huge step up for Uni. Most other locations in the park are the usual burgers, sandwiches etc. Which while are not a problem, if they want people to spend more days in the parks, they need the variety.

I know, while I don't feel like there is "too much fish" on the menu, that is something I heard others say there. And I heard a couple people comment on the fishy smell.

Since you are English, may I ask if it's true that all British pubs serve Indian food? I've heard a good way to tell if a "British pub" in the US is authentic is whether or not it has Indian food, because apparently they all sell Indian food in the UK.

I know, while I don't feel like there is "too much fish" on the menu, that is something I heard others say there. And I heard a couple people comment on the fishy smell.

Since you are English, may I ask if it's true that all British pubs serve Indian food? I've heard a good way to tell if a "British pub" in the US is authentic is whether or not it has Indian food, because apparently they all sell Indian food in the UK.

It's not a requirement to serve Indian food to open a Pub here :rofl: . Chain pubs will always have at least a Chicken Tikka on the menu though. I would say the sign of a good British pub would be the number of British Beers on Tap, and the height of the ceilings!

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Although GB colonized India, in many ways, it has become the other way around. Tons of Indian influence there.

100% Agree, although we kinda got influenced by India, and watered it down, put loads of spice in it and called it Indian food! Most Indian people I know say even an Indian Resturant, run by Indian people, do not always serve what they'd get back home!

It's not a requirement to serve Indian food to open a Pub here :rofl: . Chain pubs will always have at least a Chicken Tikka on the menu though. I would say the sign of a good British pub would be the number of British Beers on Tap, and the height of the ceilings!

100% Agree, although we kinda got influenced by India, and watered it down, put loads of spice in it and called it Indian food! Most Indian people I know say even an Indian Resturant, run by Indian people, do not always serve what they'd get back home!

I think it would be a cool idea to put one Indian-inspired dish on the Leaky menu. Plus there were a handful of Indian characters in HP. You know they wouldn't be happy eating bland fish and chips all the time.

Having British beers or ciders on tap would be a good nod to the fact that Diagon Alley connects to London. I enjoyed how King's Cross station sold authentic British snacks and candy bars in line.

Having British beers or ciders on tap would be a good nod to the fact that Diagon Alley connects to London. I enjoyed how King's Cross station sold authentic British snacks and candy bars in line.

I loved seeing cans of Strongbow for sale, it wouldn't be a British Train without some skanks drinking cider!

Having visited and returned home I can add a review.

My wife and I visited Leaky on 15th December (My birthday). She had the Toad in the Hole, and I had the Guinness Stew. Our initial comments were as follows.

1) That is NOT a Toad in the Hole, appaling Yorkshire Pudding, texture should me light and fluffy and it should rise, this was basically a waffle.
2) Stew - Beef was really tough, lamb was really good, loved the flavours. Due to the sauce, the bread roll was very very thick to stop it falling apart, so it wasnt really edible.
3) Salad with Ranch Dressing with Stew. Big no no in my book. The stew should have been served in a bowl, with mashed potatoes.

Overall, I wouldn't be stopping by there again. Most people seemed to be eating burgers so I guess that contributes to the heat lamp-ness of the other dishes, no one is ordering them, but they have to be ready for the pass right away.

Recently went in for breakfast. (Stupidly) had the traditional breakfast. For $15.99 I was let down. I know it includes a small drink but the food itself was luke warm and the Black Pudding. I had to spit it back out. I would say skip it and wait for lunch at fast food boulevard or at Finnigans

I hate to be a Debbie Downer and I hope I don't get a lot of hate. Even though the restaurant itself is quite impressive with a lot of detail we didn't care for the food and thought 3 Broomsticks was way better. If I had to compare it to anything it would be a lower quality Finnegan's.

Expecto Patronum!!

From what I've gathered people seem to think the chicken sandwich was the best thing on the menu. Which I think is strange, a chicken sandwich isn't the first thing I think of when thinking about British style food.

I thought the stew was pretty decent. It had lots more meat than I expected. We also had the sausage dishes and they were fine also. Great ambiance , though I would say that Three Broomstick's menu is probably more amenable to American tastes. But, then again, Leaky Cauldron's menu is probably closer to attempting British pub fare. Whether it succeeds, only the Brits on this forum, can probably ascertain. But credit to Universal for their attempt. And I applaud them for doing a partially different menu than Three Broomsticks. I would prefer choice over a exact copy.

I ate here for the first time on Sunday, and I liked it. I ordered the Fisherman's Pie and while I have had shepherd's pie at numerous restaurants, this was a first for me as well. The food at Finnegan's is similar and I enjoyed that more, probably owing to the on tap Guinness, this was very much to my liking. I liked having my order brought out to me inside of trying to carry a tray myself through tight spaces. Sitting with other guests is also interesting, but might be off putting to some. We happened to be seated next to another couple that were from North Florida, but had just finished a job working in downtown West Palm Beach, near where I am from. Overall, I would recommend at least trying the Leaky Cauldron, at least for a taste of the atmosphere.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer and I hope I don't get a lot of hate. Even though the restaurant itself is quite impressive with a lot of detail we didn't care for the food and thought 3 Broomsticks was way better. If I had to compare it to anything it would be a lower quality Finnegan's.

Expecto Patronum!!

Not my cup of Butterbeer either...I much prefer Confiscos or Finnegan's

I tried the Banger sandwich when I was here and I would have enjoyed it more if the bun hadn't been so soggy when it came out that the whole sandwich fell apart leaving a weird mess to eat. Will have to try the Chicken sandwich next time.