Magic Kingdom (General Discussion) | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Kingdom (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Given the importance of Carousel of Progress to the history of Imagineering, sending it to the scrap heap would be extremely disappointing.

And the fact that it's so reflective of Walt Disney's personality, of which the Florida parks have relatively little that's unique to them, means that I think it needs to continue to have a place on the property.

Reactions: SpyderDan
In the GPs eyes, most of the rides on that list have devolved into the butts of jokes. In some respects I would hate to see classic rides and songs like Small World or CoP/Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow leave for good, but I would not be surprised at all if they did.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
In the GPs eyes, most of the rides on that list have devolved into the butts of jokes. In some respects I would hate to see classic rides and songs like Small World or CoP/Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow leave for good, but I would not be surprised at all if they did.
I was watching the Goofy Movie yesterday and was surprised to see a joke referencing the lameness of the Country Bear Jamboree, in the form of Lester's Possum Park, which has a poorly maintained and overly cheesy animatronic possum quartet. The fact that this joke already existed in 1995, along with the joke about A Small World in the Lion King, makes me think that, to the GP, many of these rides aren't just jokes....they've been jokes for decades.

I was watching the Goofy Movie yesterday and was surprised to see a joke referencing the lameness of the Country Bear Jamboree, in the form of Lester's Possum Park, which has a poorly maintained and overly cheesy animatronic possum quartet. The fact that this joke already existed in 1995, along with the joke about A Small World in the Lion King, makes me think that, to the GP, many of these rides aren't just jokes....they've been jokes for decades.
While I see the obvious comparison to County Bears, I've always felt that the possum joke is more a parody of old school roadside attractions. Country Bear Jamboree wasn't the first animatronic band show, surprisingly. Old highway tourist traps sprung up in the decades prior to the Country Bears show's debut. Of course, the robot characters in those roadside shows were much less impressive technologically, mostly just a basic mechanical loop, exactly like we see in A Goofy Movie. I've seen a couple versions, at places like Wall Drug South Dakota, that somehow still exist:

With Chuck-E-Cheese's closing and/or getting ride of their robot bands, if we lose Country Bear Jamboree, not much will be left of this unusual relic of the past lol

Small World is still a very popular ride with an INSANE throughput. It's not going anywhere (The way they make rides today it would take 4 or 5 to equal that throughput). Remember the original was designed for the NY World Fair which hosted 55 million people in 12 months. -- ya had to move a lot of people. As for COP (I remember standing in line hours for that at the Fair) several things could be done - it could be completely updated with new animatronics, or only the last scene could be updated. And, if it is taken out, it doesn't mean the building goes away - something could be imagineered I'd guess. (COP also has a large input but is very sparsely attended now)

How big is the plot CoP uses up? Is it really that important of a location that they'd get rid of Walt's final attraction before using something like Speedway, Stitch, Terrace, etc?

How big is the plot CoP uses up? Is it really that important of a location that they'd get rid of Walt's final attraction before using something like Speedway, Stitch, Terrace, etc?
The maintenance on the theater and AAs combined with the GSATs tell me CoP may be on a short list for total replacement.

The maintenance on the theater and AAs combined with the GSATs tell me CoP may be on a short list for total replacement.
I always thought maybe some Big Hero 6 animatronic tech showcase would fit nice in there, with a Hiro Hamada animatronic and a simple Baymax in each sector.

I'm really showing my age with this idea aren't I.

Reactions: Disneyhead
I want to make it known that I’m not advocating for Carousel of Progress to remain in Magic Kingdom and stagnate. It absolutely needs some love.

To my mind, there are three options (all would involve sprucing up the existing scenes included, but otherwise not really changing them):

1. Keep the first three scenes and re-do the final scene to better reflect 21st century technological advancements.

2. Keep the 1900s scene, make the 1940s scene the second scene, create a new third scene for the 1980s, and create a new final scene for the 2020s. An “every 40 years” sort of passage of time could work quite well.

3. Keep the first three scenes, and make the final scene set in the 1960s. This is obviously the most “retro” option, but it would be in keeping with the current “every 20 years” narrative, and could pay tribute to the ‘60s “gee whiz” optimism/futurism that informed so much of the company’s output in that era.

I would personally go with option 2. Half the classic experience, half a new one.

I want to make it known that I’m not advocating for Carousel of Progress to remain in Magic Kingdom and stagnate. It absolutely needs some love.

To my mind, there are three options (all would involve sprucing up the existing scenes included, but otherwise not really changing them):

1. Keep the first three scenes and re-do the final scene to better reflect 21st century technological advancements.

2. Keep the 1900s scene, make the 1940s scene the second scene, create a new third scene for the 1980s, and create a new final scene for the 2020s. An “every 40 years” sort of passage of time could work quite well.

3. Keep the first three scenes, and make the final scene set in the 1960s. This is obviously the most “retro” option, but it would be in keeping with the current “every 20 years” narrative, and could pay tribute to the ‘60s “gee whiz” optimism/futurism that informed so much of the company’s output in that era.

I would personally go with option 2. Half the classic experience, half a new one.
I'll take window number three. :)

Reactions: belloq87
CP and Energy Adventure are the two rides on which I felt trapped and as if in a nightmare. Walt Disney would be mortified that it is still up and running in a park bearing his name. (if he was still alive at 119 years old and running things in 2020)

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I never thought that appreciating Carousel of Progress would be the minority position, but here we are!
I certainly appreciate it, I’ve had many fun memories there where my group of friends were the only ones in the theater and we’d sing along.

But it’s not enough for me to appreciate it. Disney needs to or it’s time to move it to the Walt Disney Family Museum.

I think it would be a brilliant move to transfer Small World to Epcot. Fits right in, gives another ride to the park and frees up that huge show building in MK.

Now, it won’t happen any time soon (if it ever did) due to budget concerns, but to be able to dream.

Could you move CP to Disney Springs as a free attraction? Again, putting the whole money thing aside that would keep the attraction, free up space in MK, and give people something to do besides shop and eat.

I’ve always wanted more things “to do” at DS. love The Void. We need more things like that. Always thought a mini golf course would do well there, or a go kart track, something, anything to add some kinetic energy to the place. Heck, bring those out of place carnival games from Dino Rama and put them at Springs. They would fit right in on the boardwalk they built.

But it’s not enough for me to appreciate it. Disney needs to or it’s time to move it to the Walt Disney Family Museum.

I would hope that this is what would happen if Disney does get rid of it. It's a shame there's such a need to dismantle every vintage thing left in the resort.

Belloq made a good point too though, would moving CoP have a negative impact on the people mover?

Could you move CP to Disney Springs as a free attraction? Again, putting the whole money thing aside that would keep the attraction, free up space in MK, and give people something to do besides shop and eat.

I quite like this idea. Bring over One Man's Dream/Walt Disney Presents from Hollywood Studios and make a mini Disney museum in Disney Springs.

I think even charging a low nominal fee to enter ($10?) would be totally acceptable, too.

Belloq made a good point too though, would moving CoP have a negative impact on the people mover?

If they got rid of the building, it would certainly impact it, and its return would be dependent upon whatever structure is built in COP's place being incorporated into the existing Peoplemover loop.

I don't trust that Disney would go to that trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: n i c k
If they got rid of the building, it would certainly impact it, and its return would be dependent upon whatever structure is built in COP's place being incorporated into the existing Peoplemover loop.

I don't trust that Disney would go to that trouble.

In that case, I absolutely do not want CoP to go anywhere unless they retro fit the inside for a new attraction. The people mover has always been a family favorite (and always seems mobbed too).

It just amazes me that people pay thousands upon thousands of dollars to experience the same, old 20+ year attractions year after year after year. You would think they would want new experiences for their money, but I guess that makes too much sense. I'm a sucker for nostalgia as much as the next theme park fan, but when the price of my Annual Pass goes up every year...:look:

As far as first-time visitors go, showing off your decrepit attractions doesn't make a good first impression.

Reactions: JoeCamel