Mattel Theme Park coming to Arizona | Inside Universal Forums

Mattel Theme Park coming to Arizona

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 5, 2020

A Mattel-branded theme park with Hot Wheels and Thomas the Tank Engine attractions is planned alongside Crystal Lagoons Island Resort, a massive water park flanked by hotels, restaurants and entertainment, in Glendale's sports and entertainment district.

A groundbreaking ceremony on Thursday kicked off the project just south of State Farm Stadium, near 95th Avenue and Loop 101, that is expected to open before Arizona hosts its next Super Bowl in 2023.

The water park was announced last year, with the addition of the theme park unveiled Thursday. A Hot Wheels-themed roller coaster, go-karts and a Thomas and Friends-themed indoor theme park with a "life-sized" Thomas the Tank Engine electric passenger train were listed among the attractions.

"It’s just going to be phenomenal," City Manager Kevin Phelps said. "There are going to be theaters, there’s going to be racetracks, there’s going to be rollercoasters."

The Mattel theme park is being developed under the same umbrella as the water park.

The longtime toy manufacturer in 2019 announced plans to create in-person attractions.

The company behind Crystal Lagoons water park, which goes by the same name, unveiled its Glendale project in September. The company has other water parks around the world, including Dubai, Egypt, Japan and Chile.

Crystal Lagoons will include:

An 11-acre resort-style water park with paddleboards, boogie boards and scuba diving gear.

Two hotels with a combined 650 rooms.

Aerophile's Aerobar, a venue that will serve food and drinks at 130 feet off the ground.

A 4D theater and a "fly theater," similar to the "Soarin' Around the World" attraction at Disney's California Adventure theme park.

A massive balloon that will take visitors nearly 400 feet into the air.

"It's not (just) a water park ... it's going to be second to none in the state," Mayor Jerry Weiers said.

The pair of parks would go up on land where an Ikea furniture store was formerly planned.

Glendale plans to waive $1 million in permitting fees and give the theater, hotel, retail spaces and concession vendors a property tax break, although specifics haven't yet been hammered out, Phelps said.

Race to open ahead of Super Bowl LVII
The project is targeted to open in late 2022, in time for out-of-state visitors arriving for Super Bowl LVII at State Farm Stadium in 2023.

I am just waiting to see it actually happen. Ground has been broken I know that, but for many years there has been talks of amusement/entertainment parks and nothing materializes. So I am hopeful this gets complete and sticks around.

Today, Theme Park Insider ran an updated story on this park, so I thought it was worth bumping this long dormant thread. The park is slated to open in 2024 and to no one’s surprise will also include a Barbie dream house attraction. But the small 9 acre size makes me wonder why they went their own way rather than licensing the IP as it’s only about the size of a land at either Universal or Disney. No mention yet about admission price.

Reactions: Nico
I wonder if they can make the more of the Barbie area based on the film or it will just be the toy version of characters and what not

Was just announced that they will be building one in KC as well to open in 2026. I’m excited for it, but also surprised they announced this before the Arizona one is even open. Which is hopefully a sign they are confident in the product.

Very cool but also...I was hoping someone was updating the thread with more update on this park, lol

Mattel went all in on a theme park once before...and then it fizzled and they walked away.
8220dc9a1a4005c3c99901ccec8b0629-440x600.jpg