Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Microsoft Buys Bethesda Software

I wonder if Microsoft will mandate better quality control. That would be a huge win from this if Bethesda’s games no longer feature their infamous bugs.
I doubt it. Sea of Thieves seemed unfinished at launch. 343 is still making Halo Infinite and will have had a six year dev cycle. It seems like Microsoft mostly just lets their studios do their thing. In a sense, this is good since studios get to do their own thing and don't all strive for what has come to be known as the 'prestige game' aesthetic. But quality control varies amongst studios. Maybe that'll change, but we'll see.

I think he meant to say dollar by dollar

I mean, truly for something like Elder Scrolls a period of something like DLC (or god-forbid full game) exclusivity makes sense, but after awhile they'd just reach diminishing returns. Only so many people are going to fork out for both consoles.

This is about game pass content. I suspect ZeniMax was going to be gobbled up by somebody regardless, and Microsoft didn’t want it to be Activision or EA.

So my guess is the big titles will be cross platform, but Microsoft’s hook is you’ll get them for pennies on an Xbox or PC with game pass.

Sony really wants you to buy a PlayStation, but Microsoft is a software and services company first and foremost. Sony will tout its console sales numbers, and Microsoft will do the same with its subscription numbers. Apples and oranges, really.