Minions: The Rise of Gru | Inside Universal Forums

Minions: The Rise of Gru

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Surprised there isn't a thread for this one~

Universal and Illumination has officially with the help of the MPAA, been given the film's rating.

The film was set to be released this year--however, Universal had announced that the film was delayed to 2021. But now with the MPAA rating..one has to wonder--could we be seeing the Despicable Me franchise hit PVOD?

I'm wondering if Universal bumps Puss in Boots back up to Late Summer/Early Fall, to avoid getting stomped by competition from upcoming films. With how Minions essentially is aiming to get more than Lightyear's current total, I would buy them wanting to bring PIB/Shrek to a more proper forefront if they're as confident as they have been with Minions.

Reactions: shiekra38
It overperforming
I'm wondering if Universal bumps Puss in Boots back up to Late Summer/Early Fall, to avoid getting stomped by competition from upcoming films. With how Minions essentially is aiming to get more than Lightyear's current total, I would buy them wanting to bring PIB/Shrek to a more proper forefront if they're as confident as they have been with Minions.

PIB isn't close to the animation being finished yet, tracking from the first trailer was off the charts, and the testing went really well from my personal knowledge...that's the reason why it moved to xmas...so it can have super long legs.

Also audiences really seemed to like it
x66uc36ek4991.jpg

A scores typically mean really long legs

Disney released six animated films in the past year and a half and even the theatrical ones barely made as much money as the two furry movies and the movie with farting yellow tick-tacks.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Disney released six animated films in the past year and a half and even the theatrical ones barely made as much money as the two furry movies and the movie with farting yellow tick-tacks.
Disney plus seems to be hurting them in theaters on most films

Even the MCU I know who just wait 2 months for it to come there

Even if I’m pretty sure this film will also be on peacock before September.

Also minions are boomer/kid humor

Disney are making great family films which people don’t risk seeing with kids as much

Its dumb Fun

about as good as the third film and better then the first minions film, it has some cool designs on the villains/their vehicles

It has like a main plot and a B and C plot. The B plot for me was meh and boring but the other two were good

If you have A list of kids, see it if you want

I will say this was the most action packed film of the series and also probably the one with the most character development of the minions and their personality.

The film is a kid version of the 70s blaxploitation films/kung fu films which gives it a really interesting feel and something fresh...similar to the Bad Guys being Quentin Tarantino for kids.

Movie was pretty mediocre. I had heard it went through many story changes throughout production, and it shows. The story appears to be about Gru learning to accept he needs help to succeed (setting up his eventual arc of learning he needs family to be happy), until it's suddenly no longer about that. Gru's contentious relationship with the Minions should be the beating heart of the movie, but the story gets sidetracked and meanders to its busy action climax. There are definitely some solid laughs, and I enjoyed it fine, but it's nowhere near as affecting or memorable as the first "Minions."

Reactions: n i c k
There are definitely some solid laughs, and I enjoyed it fine, but it's nowhere near as affecting or memorable as the first "Minions."
Which in and of itself isn't nearly as memorable as the first Despicable Me.

Which in and of itself isn't nearly as memorable as the first Despicable Me.
I mean if people are honest that is the only great movie in the series

Literally every other film has been just fine...like DE2 starts off with a hilarious party scene then becomes meh....the third film somehow made me find Trey Parker not funny and the first minions for me just i barley remember, this new one has some funny gags and the end fight is the biggest we've seen yet but its on par with the other films

The first DE film is just a solid film and without it...i wonder what Illumations would even look like today

Movie was pretty mediocre. I had heard it went through many story changes throughout production, and it shows. The story appears to be about Gru learning to accept he needs help to succeed (setting up his eventual arc of learning he needs family to be happy), until it's suddenly no longer about that. Gru's contentious relationship with the Minions should be the beating heart of the movie, but the story gets sidetracked and meanders to its busy action climax. There are definitely some solid laughs, and I enjoyed it fine, but it's nowhere near as affecting or memorable as the first "Minions."

I took the story/message was knowing your value and worth of the people next to you. Gru was all about dumping previous relationships for people he thought were superior (he was fine working with the villainous 6 instead of the minions as well as wild knuckles and was willing to take what they would give him). But in the end, it was the people who were there from day one who came by to help him.

I think maybe the better argument for the series is each new entry is emotionally unfulfilling comparing to other films but I think its almost impossible to do without laying on pointless emotionally manipulating scenes.

I do think the story could've been tightened (Nunchucks the best villian should have been used a lot more as well as Michelle Yeoh) but I think personally this film has the best physical gags out of the entire series....the airplane scene 100% funniest segment in all the despicable films.

Reactions: Mad Dog