Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Miss Adventure Falls - New Slide at Typhoon Lagoon

This is the big part for me.
I did the very first event ever (the 2nd week of it)- which was Typhoon Lagoon in 2015- which is the only park that had anything that year. It had basically no one there and was absolutely fantastic. At the time, it was guests with resort reservations and we could bring up to TEN guests- but still, it was dead (and great weather).
Last year- it was way worse. They then allowed Up to TEN guests for MK in Feb/March (Didnt go), Typhoon Lagoon in June/July (I went- way more crowded- not near as fun as 14'), and DAK in Sept (I went- not crowded- fun). The kicker was they introduced allowing non-resort people to come in.
Fast forward to this year- it's only 5 guests per event, instead of 10- but still allow non-resort people to come in, and they added Epcot for 2 nights in December- while removing 2 of the DAK nights (only 2 in Sept instead of 4), and also merry mixer. So actually the same amount parties for them to have, but more spread out- w/o the cost of the merry mixers.

I'm glad they have them- they're awesome. I'm from Texas- so I have to stay when I go- clearly. So selfishly, I wish they'd only allow hotel guests. If nothing else for Typhoon Lagoon. Allowing non-resort guests simply make it too crowded. 2 days ago might be skewed because it had rain- but the week before looked and sounded like 2015 crowd levels- which are simply too much for that small of a park. MK and DAK can handle it, not TL. And if future world + frozen are the only things open for Epcot- I'm guessing that will be pretty danged crowded too.
I'm looking forward to the DVC DAK event during my Sept. Universal trip quite a bit but certainly nervous about the Epcot event I'll be at for my WDW trip in Dec.

It's just this massive added "perk" for local DVC people. They have DVC discount, FL resident Discounts, way more trips to the parks, etc- we don't need to throw local DVC another bone- simply make them book a room to go. Give me a less crowded park instead, please. I'm happy either way- free is free- I just don't understand their reasoning.
It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for non-locals, because if you just restrict it to guests staying on-site, all that means then is that locals just book a night or two for the parties (like we did the first year) and that results in less resort availability.

I'm really looking forward to the Animal Kingdom party this year, I'm hoping it will be relatively manageable to get onto Flight of Passage.

I'm there Sept 6 @Mr. EPCOT - drinks on me :D

@Nick C. have a friend I'm bringing that's local, otherwise, you couldve piggybacked on my 6- sorry! My December 11th @ Epcot will have 2 slots though ;)

I look forward to riding Miss Adventure Falls with my youngest (3)- shes only 41", but will go down any slide and is a good swimmer. So having another ride for her hits the spot perfectly. I'm fearing my VB trip in Sept, because if you aren't 42"- you can't ride squat except the lazy river/wave pool/kids area. Typhoon Lagoon is massively better for the under 42" crowd.

I'm there Sept 6 @Mr. EPCOT - drinks on me :D

@Nick C. have a friend I'm bringing that's local, otherwise, you couldve piggybacked on my 6- sorry! My December 11th @ Epcot will have 2 slots though ;)

I look forward to riding Miss Adventure Falls with my youngest (3)- shes only 41", but will go down any slide and is a good swimmer. So having another ride for her hits the spot perfectly. I'm fearing my VB trip in Sept, because if you aren't 42"- you can't ride squat except the lazy river/wave pool/kids area. Typhoon Lagoon is massively better for the under 42" crowd.
It's all good, might have to take you up on that Epcot offer (or at least meet up) depending on if I get in or not. ;)

And yeah, Typhoon is definitely more of a "family water park". I look at it how I look at Big Thunder mountain... It's incredibly themed and it has some nice thrill moments peppered in, but the park's ride collection as a whole is sort of like baby steps towards the type of rides you'll find at Volcano Bay, Aquatica or even some at Blizzard Beach.

Went on it last Wednesday. I give it one large "meh". Also first time on Crushs which is another resounding "meh".
TL just doesn't have many thrilling rides. I'd say Miss adventure was my 2nd to bottom ride- with the blue single person raft ride being the worst by far.

My wife liked it, so did my 3 year old- and almost everyone we talked to in other lines "loved it"- so it definitely hits the mark. But if you want speed, look elsewhere.

It was in terrible shape before they finally closed it. Hopefully something new goes here too. Please draw people from Volcano Bay. Please.

Plan is to expand the bar back there during the refurb, add secluded lounge-y areas, making something akin to the adult deck on DCL ... only it won't actually be limited to guests 18+ (mores the pity). They've been doing live music on the weekends back there as part of this--think a steel drum player or acoustic Buffett cover guy. It's an interesting strategy, we'll see if it pays off.