Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Journey of Water – Inspired by Moana

If I was designing this I would make each stage its own play opportunity. So for example, for Stream/River I would have a giant play table for kids to create their own streams and rivers. I did hear there might be some very limited motion figures in the area.
Or even could go further and have that type of are with the occasional mini-show in the area on the stages.

Would be nice to see some limited motion figures if that's the plan. I have to think this will be a Spring 2023 project. It looks like it could be done for this year if they really tried, but we all know that they’re in no hurry.

Or even could go further and have that type of are with the occasional mini-show in the area on the stages.

Would be nice to see some limited motion figures if that's the plan. I have to think this will be a Spring 2023 project. It looks like it could be done for this year if they really tried, but we all know that they’re in no hurry.

Good point - have some play, some show, some more static. I'm thinking of something in the scope of If I Ran the Zoo combined with Camp Jurassic.

Yeah, sort of I guess. If it actually aims to inform through the use of an IP, then I have no problem with it as a little diversion from the rest of the park as it would be sticking to at least the most important part of Epcot's mission statement, which is to "inform and inspire".

I’m just gonna ask now so that when this inevitably falls short of expectations it doesn’t seem like I’m a defensive fanboy when I ask then :lol:

Why does the educational aspect matter? We’re all adults here, we all know about the water cycle. Adding educational vignettes adds a slight incremental value, but the real appeal is a more aesthetically attractive way to get from the entrance to the bars (uhh…I mean, the rest of the park), right?

I’m just gonna ask now so that when this inevitably falls short of expectations it doesn’t seem like I’m a defensive fanboy when I ask then :lol:

Why does the educational aspect matter? We’re all adults here, we all know about the water cycle. Adding educational vignettes adds a slight incremental value, but the real appeal is a more aesthetically attractive way to get from the entrance to the bars (uhh…I mean, the rest of the park), right?

We know it now, as adults, because exhibits like this got us inspired. So we enjoy it for the nostalgia and for the empathy response of seeing others become inspired.

We know it now, as adults, because exhibits like this got us inspired. So we enjoy it for the nostalgia and for the empathy response of seeing others become inspired.
Is the idea to sit here in the heat just to watch other people’s kids learn about the water cycle?

It’s a nice sentiment, I just personally don’t see it.

Is the idea to sit here in the heat just to watch other people’s kids learn about the water cycle?

It’s a nice sentiment, I just personally don’t see it.
No the idea is to sit there and let your kids play in an overly themed splash pad while you wait for you Genie+ or restaurant reservation

The educational aspect is simply there for, as you said, sentimentality

No the idea is to sit there and let your kids play in an overly themed splash pad while you wait for you Genie+ or restaurant reservation

The educational aspect is simply there for, as you said, sentimentality
But I mean, it's also there to add something a bit more substantive than just "Moana". It's an area aimed at kids, so if any kids come out of the area having learned anything while in the process having had a fun time, then it will have had a greater impact than kids just walking through there, seeing a Moana themed walkthrough, and leaving.

I'm not even an Epcot purist (actually quite the opposite and many can attest to that). I'm all for IPs in Epcot, but I think that the IPs should at the very least cohesively fit into their respective areas (much like Ratatouille does) or there should be some edutainment value.

But I mean, it's also there to add something a bit more substantive than just "Moana". It's an area aimed at kids, so if any kids come out of the area having learned anything while in the process having had a fun time, then it will have had a greater impact than kids just walking through there, seeing a Moana themed walkthrough, and leaving.

I'm not even an Epcot purist (actually quite the opposite and many can attest to that). I'm all for IPs in Epcot, but I think that the IPs should at the very least cohesively fit into their respective areas (much like Ratatouille does) or there should be some edutainment value.
I think the whole placement of Moana is bizarre, but I suppose it is nice they are attempting some eductainment

But then I ride Guardians and Frozen and I can't help but feel the sentiment is a bit hollow

I think the whole placement of Moana is bizarre, but I suppose it is nice they are attempting some eductainment

But then I ride Guardians and Frozen and I can't help but feel the sentiment is a bit hollow
They've failed utilizing IPs in some areas and are doing it right in others. I can feel with Cosmic Rewind how this was originally supposed to be more of an edutainment type of attraction. Strip the Guardians stuff away and it's a ride about the Big Bang and was originally designed to be a big bang ride before corporate mandated an IP so at least you can feel what they were going for. Frozen Ever After is nothing but a Fantasyland dark ride.

Frozen Ever After is nothing but a Fantasyland dark ride.
At least the IP is from that particular world showcase country. And you say Fantasyland dark ride like it's a bad thing. Maelstrom was a mess, only the nostalgia makes it seem like something greater

Moana's water journey should've set sail from the Living Seas to the Land, but that'd be too logical.

At least the IP is from that particular world showcase country. And you say Fantasyland dark ride like it's a bad thing. Maelstrom was a mess, only the nostalgia makes it seem like something greater

Moana's water journey should've set sail from the Living Seas to the Land, but that'd be too logical.
Journey of Water should’ve gone on the plot between The Land and Seas. Would’ve been the perfect walkthrough to connect the two. Maybe even would’ve been room to add in a ride as well.

Then the area where they are currently building JoW and the Comminicore Hall events building could’ve been ride expansion space. Possibly room for multiple rides depending on size or something like a highly themed outdoor coaster.

It’s all moot now that they’ve gone this route, though.

It’s all mute now that they’ve gone this route, though.

Why? Are they being silent? Moot, mute, butte, boot.

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. Well, I could have but chose not to. Kind of like the difference between cannon (which can shoot you if you assault it) or canon (which can get you shot if you assault it).

img_5058.jpg

img_5059.jpg