Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor | Inside Universal Forums

Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 1, 2008
Nashville, TN
New Monsters Inc. Boulevard and Dark Ride coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios

April 17th, 2008 by John Magi
Posted in Walt Disney World |

As many of you know Pete Werner is in California this week on a working vacation. Interspersed among meetings he is getting some time to enjoy Disneyland California as well as socialize with random strangers (an aspect of the human condition that has eluded me personally).

I guess being sociable can pay off as Pete spent some time with a very knowledgeable Disney employee who shared some very cool insider information.

This unnamed Cast Member (of apparently some importance) works for Disney in Burbank and told Pete that John Lasseter has really invigorated the Imagineering department at Disney. So much so that they are getting excited about new projects and ideas in a way they haven’t been in years. Mr. Lasseter is also working to bring in new/younger Imagineers. Currently, the average age of the Disney Imagineer is 47 and they are afraid that they might lose that ‘talent’ if older Imagineers retire and there are no new ones to replace them.

Mr. Lasseter is also instrumental in integrating the Pixar brand more into the overall Disney consciousness, as evidenced by Toy Story the Musical on the Disney Cruise Line, the new Pixar inspired parades at Disney World and Disneyland, the soon-to-be-debuted Toy Story Mania at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (DHS) as well as something new on the slate for DHS – a whole new area based on Monsters Inc.

This area will be a Boulevard all it’s own within DHS. We do not know if this will replace a current area/street at the Studios theme park or if it will be added to the current footprint of the park somehow.

This new Boulevard/area of Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be themed based on Monsters Inc. and will include a new ‘dark ride’ based on the ‘door scene’ from the movie. This is the scene that expands on the premise that the Monster world gains access to the human world via the closet doors in children’s rooms. We can only imagine what the Disney Imagineers might come up with based on the scene in the movie where the doors fly by on ‘drycleaner’ type apparatus and open up to new rooms and adventures for Sully and Mike.

The new area at Disney Hollywood Studios, as well as the new ride, are both still in the concept stage and has not been finalized yet, but Pete is confident the information is sound based on the source.

Thanks to Pete Werner for getting us this info.

http://www.disunplugged.com/2008/04/17/monsters-boulevard-dark-ride-coming-disney-hollywood-studios/

I hope there is some truth to this as I think it would be a great idea! Monsters, Inc. is one of my favorite Pixar movies and I think DHS needs something like this!

Last edited:
Monsters Inc IS my favorite Pixar movie. I would love to see a Monsters Inc dark ride come to the Studios!

Then again...Crush Coaster sounds nice too. :D

The idea of a dark ride based on the "door scene" is almost cliche these days. I'm not familiar with that website though so I'm not sure of their legitimacy. Is that site pretty credible?

I've never heard of the site either. MI is my favorite pixar movie and I'd love to see this, maybe this could be where the Honey I Shrunk the Kids area is:idea:.

The idea of a dark ride based on the "door scene" is almost cliche these days. I'm not familiar with that website though so I'm not sure of their legitimacy. Is that site pretty credible?

I'm not sure on the credibilty of the site but I did find the article on laughingplace.com that linked me to that site...not sure if that means anything :shrug:

There's a building that says gearing up for a new ride, and rightfully so, Disney needs to get their butts into gear with all the other Orlando parks adding and expanding and all they've got is freakin' American Idol 7 years too late.

Disney has put all WDW additions on hold. The next thing they are going to move forward on is family suites at Pop Century. That will show that stupid Harry Potter a thing or 2.

Disney has put all WDW additions on hold. The next thing they are going to move forward on is family suites at Pop Century. That will show that stupid Harry Potter a thing or 2.
New Suites?!?!? Oh my god Universal better get some E-tickets to combat that or else there will be some serious damage done.

Whoever told you that Monsters will be up by late 2009 is mistaken. :lol: At this point, I'll be happy if they are even working on it in late 2009.

As in OFFICIALLY confirmed by then, yes. I just happen to have a source that works at DHS.

Is his name Kevin Contini? :lol:

At this point, I'll be happy if they are even working on it in late 2009.

I'd be happy if they ANNOUNCED it in 2009! For some reason, I'd like to say it'll be during the summer they'll announce it, unless Universal's promotion is as huge as they're shaping it up to be.