Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New CityWalk vs. Old CityWalk

Dec 12, 2015
Media Building North
Hello everyone! 

A bit ago, I got to thinking about how much the Park has changed since I've been going there and one of the biggest changes that can be seen is the relatively big transformation CityWalk went through to get to where it is now. 

My question to you, the community, is what did you feel were the pros and cons of both variations and what would you have done differently between either the new (current) version of CityWalk and the old version?

In my (non-professional) opinion, I feel the newer version lost a lot of the original CW's "trendiness". CW was built at the end of the 1990s "rock" era where rock concerts and street performances weren't an uncommon occurrence and the crowd seemed a lot more "lively". The style of the place was very "retro-industrial" looking and many remnants of this can still be seen just by looking at the buildings. After the transformation, the music changed, many of the stores changed, and the overall atmosphere changed. Don't get me wrong, I still absolutely love the new music that plays and the new atmosphere, but there is a definite difference between the new and old. The difference is not bad or good, but I guess it all depends on how you look at it. 

I'm curious to read what you think.
Thanks!
-CW

I enjoy Hollywood's Citywalk 1999 upgrade because it used the available space and made it busy and exciting.  I do feel our Citywalk has a Hollywood feel because its cramped and tight.  Orlando has the luxury of space and wide open views.

The 5 Towers stage was needed.  Is it perfect?  No.  I would have prefferred the stage at the Globe or replace Saddle Ranch and offer more space at the main gate.

I would like to see the high end stores leave and more interactive locations like a Sony Store, Samsung, etc.  Many of the themed restaurants fail because the options of accessing Citywalk are very difficult for the locals.  Who wants to fight theme park crowds?

To be honest, the first true interactive Retail store that could hit in two years or less; is Nintendo.

The NY store seems to be a hit, and it can act great for a western flagship location.

I would like to see the high end stores leave and more interactive locations like a Sony Store, Samsung, etc.  Many of the themed restaurants fail because the options of accessing Citywalk are very difficult for the locals.  Who wants to fight theme park crowds?
 I have to agree with that. During GameStop's prime, it was always packed with people playing games and looking at things and it was very interactive. I too feel like a store that provokes people's interaction would be a big hit there versus stores that people can just walk into, look around for a minute or two and then walk out again. 

With that being said, I do NOT believe a store such as an Apple Store would be a good fit for CityWalk as it would drive business away from other stores. 

I guess that brings the issue again of finding a nice middle ground. 

The 5 Towers stage was needed.  Is it perfect?  No.  I would have preferred the stage at the Globe or replace Saddle Ranch and offer more space at the main gate.
5T was a great and well-needed addition to CW. At the time, it was a marvel to construct. Really never before had there been an outdoor permanent stage that complex. Universal poured A TON of money into it, and I must say, it was money well spent. Was it perfect? No. There are many flaws to it. But those can be fairly easily overlooked.

While I do not necessarily agree that it should have been located closer to to the main gate, I do agree that the main gate area is a bit cramped.