New Gwazi Update? | Inside Universal Forums

New Gwazi Update?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
From Screamscape

(4/26/12) I’m not entirely sold on this rumor just yet, but I’ve heard whispers claiming that Busch Gardens may be in talks with Rocky Mountain Coasters about trying out some topper track on sections of Gwazi in the future. While the addition of the GCI Millennium Flyer trains did a wonders for Gwazi’s image and improved the ride experience for a short while, I’m told that the coaster has been returning to it’s more rough riding ways as of late. It can’t hurt to try it, as I experienced the wonders of Topper Track on a section of The Rattler at Six Flags Fiesta Texas last summer. It did make that section of the track noticeably smoother than the rest of the ride, but I guess the real question is how long will it last.

While its nice they are still trying to help Gwazi, I think the best long term solution is to go total Texas Giant on it and turn it into something special.

The first day the MF's were installed I rode it like 5 or 6 times within a half hour during the media preview and had a blast. Two months later when I finally got my wife out there with me we rode it once. Should have seen me trying to be like I promise its so much better than it used to be... Yeah I was in trouble.

ha..that explains why I wasnt hat impressed. I remember thinking...this is still pretty painful when riding it.

So both sides of the ride are scheduled to go down this month for their annual downtime...

But then I found this:
Gwazi Tiger: November 5-December 20 (Gwazi Lion Remains Open)

Gwazi Lion does not go down before or after it, at least that's how it's scheduled now.

Six weeks is long enough to install it in two or three troubled sections. If its deemed a success then we might finally have a solution. Personally though I think they should just say screw it and either build an Intamin Prefab or go total Texas Giant rebuild with it.

I rode Tiger in December and it was much improved compared to how it was before. Lion....some what better but not much. I walked off with a massive headache. I was there last month but didn't ride either.

In 2005 my wife and I took a road trip and hit BGW, PKD, Hershey Park, Dorney Park, and SFGAdv. Of all the coasters and rides we did nothing stood out to either of us like the night ride we had on Apollo's Chariot. Its in my top ten favorites and its my wife's #1 overall just ahead of Millennium Force and Goliath SFOG.