New member and USH questions | Inside Universal Forums

New member and USH questions

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Mar 23, 2014
Hello all I am new to the forum and looking forward to all your helpful tips for Universal.

We are planning to be at Universal for a day June 18th, unfortunately that is all we can get in on this stop this time. Are the crowds really bad that time of year? I believe it is a Wednesday. We are trying to decide if we should get the "front of the line" pass or just the regular day pass. We really want to be able to do everything when we are there that day. Any input or shares or even strategies would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kevin

Welcome by the way and i can mabye help you on this. First off it will be Crowded so just make sure you get there early so you can hit DM and Transformers first as they will probably be the bigger crowds as its around the time summer break starts in California so theres crowds. With the passes i think you should get the Regular day first and then next time you go try out FOTL so atleast you get a Value Pass for the first day and it lasts for a year. A strategy I would do probably do is this:

1.) Come to Park Early for safety on getting on the 2 most popular rides early

2.)Then head to The Tour as it can go up quickly in the summer days ahead due to DMS crowds.

3.)Then get some lunch. If you have family, I'd actauly pick Grus Lab Cafe if you wana go back to DM later in the day and while your there if you have a kid or two even though they are moderatively priced, they have good food.

4.)If you do wana see a Show, Try to see when the Next Waterworld show will be as its the Number one rated show in the park and will give you and if you have kids, a thrill

5.) Skip Shrek 4D and the other shows and go down again to the Lower Lot and if your group can go on, try Jurassic Park and Mummy, some really good rides.

6.) After that you can do whatever you want to fill up time, Go on Simpsons ride as it is enjoyable to ride even with its flaws.

Thats what i can say just as some advice, you can use this if you want as to each they're own as i'd be happy if i helped you. And note, I urge you to not go on Shrek 4D as its a awful show and not really good now. but to each to they're own.

Hello all I am new to the forum and looking forward to all your helpful tips for Universal.

We are planning to be at Universal for a day June 18th, unfortunately that is all we can get in on this stop this time. Are the crowds really bad that time of year? I believe it is a Wednesday. We are trying to decide if we should get the "front of the line" pass or just the regular day pass. We really want to be able to do everything when we are there that day. Any input or shares or even strategies would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kevin
First of all, welcome to the forums  :) .

This is my strategy. If this is you first time to the park try to do as many things as possible.

1. Get there early, and head to the tour first.

2. After the tour head to the lower lot and do Transformers, then Mummy, and finally JP. Or go to Minion Mayhem then visit the lower lot.

3. Head back up to the upper lot and do Despicable Me followed by Simpsons or vice versa.

4. Then check out Waterworld, Shrek, Special Effects Stage, Animal Actors, and finally House of Horrors.

Extra:

1. If you want you can check out Blues Brothers (show) in the upper lot and the NBC Universal Experience (museum) in the lower lot.

2. If you have kids the park has DinoPlay (a playground) in the lower lot and by June, Super Silly Fun Land which features Silly Swirly (a spinner), and I believe 2 play areas. Also Universal Plaza has fountains that kids can play in.

3. There are various street shows and meet and greets around the park (Minions and Transformers are very popular).

4. For lunch I would suggest Pink's or Gru's Lab Cafe (I hear it's good). 

5. There are also carnival games (Simpsons & Despicable Me), but I wouldn't bother with them.

I agree with that advice. If you wanna go on Shrek do so, but do it at the end in case the park is very crowded.

Awesome guys, thanks for super quick feedback!! I should be more clear about our visit, we live in Hawaii so going back only happens every number of years if you know what I mean so we need to get the best bang for the buck. I know a lot of schools do field trips to theme parks at the end of the year making for even greater crowds, would this be the case in the middle to late June? Really trying to decide if we should purchase FOTL ahead of time or take a chance and see the crowd and hope there are those type of tickets still available when we get there. Do FOTL sell out fast for a given day?

Front-of-the-Lines only ever sell out on summer weekends, during Grinchmas and major holidays. (and of course HHN) Since you're heading on a weekday, you should be fine.

I would absolutely head to Despicable Me first thing, those 85 minute waits this weekend already prove what a powerhouse this ride will be this summer. After that most likely the tour. It should be moderately crowded, but not wall-to-wall when you go.

Although I believe waiting is part of the experience, I think you should get FOTL passes just for a more convenient experience, especially if you want to do everything. Sometimes you will wait longer in line than you would watching a show. And the lines for in park restaurants can also be long and inconvenient. You might think you waited all that time for a mediocre lunch, because really, in park food isn't all that great or filling. Its expensive too. So I recommend you exit the park and dine at Citywalk. You have more options to choose from that are relatively close to eachother and some literally next to eachother. Its less money than you'll pay at the park. Then just head back to the park and walk to the front line of whatever attraction you want.

Just remember that USH is a heavy construction zone this year ans be super patient with crowding in the narrow streets.  FOL should help to keep you happier with the overcrowding.  Enjoy your visit and welcome to the forums!

Just remember that USH is a heavy construction zone this year ans be super patient with crowding in the narrow streets.  FOL should help to keep you happier with the overcrowding.  Enjoy your visit and welcome to the forums!
Hey Chris. Construction? Do you mean at USH or the surrounding area of USH? Hmmm, so crowds will be an issue then. Oh well I guess we will get to people watch too. Is Ifly at City Walk still open?

Construction at USH, yes. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is being constructed on the upper lot, where the construction is taking up a large space. Springfield restaurants are also being constructed next to the Simpsons ride, so there's a few walkways that are pretty tight. So that, coupled with huge summer crowds + crowds coming to see Despicable Me (and Transformers, which is still fairly new), there'll be huge crowds at USH. And yes, iFly is still open!

Construction at USH, yes. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is being constructed on the upper lot, where the construction is taking up a large space. Springfield restaurants are also being constructed next to the Simpsons ride, so there's a few walkways that are pretty tight. So that, coupled with huge summer crowds + crowds coming to see Despicable Me (and Transformers, which is still fairly new), there'll be huge crowds at USH. And yes, iFly is still open!
Yes!!! to Ifly. Bummed about Harry Potter, wish it was open all ready. We got to check it out in Orlando and that is one of the coolest themed areas of any theme park we have been too. The crowd news is bumming me out a bit but what can you do I guess. 

Last time we were at USH my kids freaked in the House of Horrors and we left from one of the side exits. Bad idea The texas chainsaw massacre guy was hiding behind the curtain as you go out. They were much younger then and teenagers now so we are going to give a go one more time. We all can't wait.