Power Up Cafe | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Power Up Cafe

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But again, we can get a whole plate of spaghetti for like $15 at Toadstool Cafe. Theme park food is highway robbery, but this is a straight up felony, lol.
And I can eat at Mythos at IOA for not too much more than if I were to eat at a QSR. I mean, theme park prices are insane. $10 for Lard Lad Donuts. $6 for bottled water. I don’t even know how much butter beer costs anymore but it’s probably quite expensive. Etc, etc.

I'm looking at the menus now.

The smaller, reheated SUPERPRETZEL brand is $5.99.

The other "standard" pretzels, including over at the mouse, are $12.99 - which is comparable to the Fire Flower Pretzel.

The Nintendo pretzel is a dollar more....
Maybe my App is wrong but I see the standard Pretzel which is the same or around the size of the Fire Flower one for 6 dollars or 6.50 if stuffed and 7 bucks for everything on it

The Bavarain Pretzel is 12.99 and that thing is much bigger then the Fire Flower or normal pretzel at least it was the last time I got one.

IMG_5665.png

And I can eat at Mythos at IOA for not too much more than if I were to eat at a QSR. I mean, theme park prices are insane. $10 for Lard Lad Donuts. $6 for bottled water. I don’t even know how much butter beer costs anymore but it’s probably quite expensive. Etc, etc.
I guess what I'm indirectly asking is why is the Mario themed food at Toadstool Cafe an overall better value than the Mario themed food at Power-Up Cafe/Popcorn stand?

Reactions: Nico
Theme parks aren't just ripping you off, they're manipulating you. No reasonable person would spend $13 for a snack when they can walk 100 yards and spend $15 for a full meal. Theme parks know you're reasonable. They want you to spend time in the restaurant, waiting in a line to order, waiting at the table for your food, spending a chunk of time eating, chatting with your family, admiring the ambiance. Because then, you're not spending time in ride queues, clogging up walkways, or meeting characters. Those are all things you can do with a snack in your hand.

I guess what I'm indirectly asking is why is the Mario themed food at Toadstool Cafe an overall better value than the Mario themed food at Power-Up Cafe/Popcorn stand?

Pretzels aren't as cheap to make, and can't make it in bulk like a huge platter of spaghetti.

There is a process, too - as it isn't as easy as flipping a burger.
Maybe my App is wrong but I see the standard Pretzel which is the same or around the size of the Fire Flower one for 6 dollars or 6.50 if stuffed and 7 bucks for everything on it

The Bavarain Pretzel is 12.99 and that thing is much bigger then the Fire Flower or normal pretzel at least it was the last time I got one.
This is a case where volume matters - and the Fire Flower Pretzel is a solid complete pretzel - not twisted. (i.e. You get more donut with a filled shell than a traditional "holed" one.)

Because Universal knows that people buy snacks, etc at a high rate and they can get away inflating those prices.

Reactions: Brian G.
Pretzels aren't as cheap to make, and can't make it in bulk like a huge platter of spaghetti.
Hmm, makes sense.
There is a process, too - as it isn't as easy as flipping a burger.
As a person currently in the service industry that has to make both of these items at high speeds, I don't necessarily agree with that, but I get what you mean. ᴾʳᵉᵗᶻᵉˡˢ ᵃʳᵉ ᵖʳᵉᵗᵗʸ ᵉᵃˢʸ ᵗᵒ ᵐᵃᵏᵉ
ᵀʰᵉʳᵉ ᶦˢ ᵃⁿ ᵃʳᵗ ᵗᵒ ᴳᴼᴼᴰ ᵇᵘʳᵍᵉʳ ᶠˡᶦᵖᵖᶦⁿᵍ
Also, this may seem small but you are getting three dipping sauces to go with your Fire Flower pretzel. So that’s included in the $13.00.
This is fair. Too bad you can't ask without. :p
Because Universal knows that people buy snacks, etc at a high rate and they can get away inflating those prices.
This was my original assumption and the fact that it's easier access than Toadstool Cafe. Still rather annoying but yeah.

Last edited:
Idk. The food at universal is genuinely a rip off. Disney is expensive but it’s definitely a couple steps above universal. Knotts even has a fake chipotle inside that’s better than anything universal offers for a competive price. BUT it’s not shaped like a star that’s forsure.

Meh... I've never been very impressed by the food at Disney. In fact, I generally put them at the bottom of the barrel compared to other theme parks. I suppose it's better than Six Flags, but that the best endorsement I can give.

I generally find Universal's food better, and Knott's the best.

Hmm, makes sense.

As a person currently in the service industry that has to make both of these items at high speeds, I don't necessarily agree with that, but I get what you mean. ᴾʳᵉᵗᶻᵉˡˢ ᵃʳᵉ ᵖʳᵉᵗᵗʸ ᵉᵃˢʸ ᵗᵒ ᵐᵃᵏᵉ
ᵀʰᵉʳᵉ ᶦˢ ᵃⁿ ᵃʳᵗ ᵗᵒ ᴳᴼᴼᴰ ᵇᵘʳᵍᵉʳ ᶠˡᶦᵖᵖᶦⁿᵍ

This is fair. Too bad you can't ask without. :p

This was my original assumption and the fact that it's easier access than Toadstool Cafe. Still rather annoying but yeah.

Don't get me wrong, it ain't complicated science. At the end of the day, the price comes from the name. We're not paying for a pretzel, we're paying for the Nintendo experience - to share it on socials, talk about it with friends, etc. Same way we could get creme sandwiches, but we're gonna pay for Oreos.

Universal Studios Hollywood recently invited Inside Universal for a special preview of the Power Up Café to try everything on the menu - from the Super Mushrooms Calzone to the Super Star Fizz.

Damn, seems like I missed a lot. :lol:
I actually ended up liking the calzone a lot more than I expected, and I personally wouldn't call it the same as a hot pocket, there was something different to it that I can't lay my finger on. I do agree that maybe it shouldn't be priced that high, but then again I also have an AP.

It also found it filling and it kept me full for a while.