Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nightmaze

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Journey through the ever-changing maze of darkness! This all black maze will morph and change as you walk through it!!! You will not be scared the same way twice!

Discuss Here!

Another report from my friend who talked to HHN creative today. The guy he talked to said they've been looking to do Nightmaze for years, and finally figured out how to do it for this year. My friend said Nightmaze was what the guy was most excited about this year.

LAME! Lame.... did I say lame....?

Not even worth the time to walk through it. Nothing moving... open to the sidewalk.
Heard a employee (unnamed) saying that everyone thinks it was a bad idea.

The idea is cool, but there should have been walls on the sides. It's not a maze if you can walk out of it at any time.

This would work better for an event where they could allow a smaller flow of people through. Or a house. But not at Universal, seeing as how they do conga lines. Hmm.

Is this even open when there's still daylight?

The idea is cool, but there should have been walls on the sides. It's not a maze if you can walk out of it at any time.

This would work better for an event where they could allow a smaller flow of people through. Or a house. But not at Universal, seeing as how they do conga lines. Hmm.

Is this even open when there's still daylight?

I didn't see it when it was light out and only once at night, and it did not move at all/

I thought that this zone was great. When I went through the actors were constantly switching the maze and really using it to their advantage. They were hiding all over and my entire group got some good scares.

You were lucky, when I went through this it was a total waste of time. I had more fun at Bill n Ted and that is saying something....and not in a good way.

Going thru last night still didn't change my opinion on it, but the actors were trying hard. This zone has lawsuit written all over it though...

Going thru last night still didn't change my opinion on it, but the actors were trying hard. This zone has lawsuit written all over it though...

Totally. One of the times we went through this zone, one of the scareactors moved the wall right onto us and it was definitely on purpose because he didn't stop. It was a good startling scare and no one got hurt so I didn't mind it. But, that's only because no one in my party fell and got hurt... In a dark place where you'd land on rough pavement, and the things they're moving onto you are metal frames, there are a lot of possibilities for injury.

I personally thought this scarezone was very lackluster. I like the concept, but think they didn't take it far enough. I would have liked it a lot more if it was themed more like In-Between, with lots of lights and smoke, crazy shapes and rely a lot more on visual disorientation. I think a single all black zone would have been enough this year, Canyon.

Totally. One of the times we went through this zone, one of the scareactors moved the wall right onto us and it was definitely on purpose because he didn't stop. It was a good startling scare and no one got hurt so I didn't mind it. But, that's only because no one in my party fell and got hurt... In a dark place where you'd land on rough pavement, and the things they're moving onto you are metal frames, there are a lot of possibilities for injury.

I personally thought this scarezone was very lackluster. I like the concept, but think they didn't take it far enough. I would have liked it a lot more if it was themed more like In-Between, with lots of lights and smoke, crazy shapes and rely a lot more on visual disorientation. I think a single all black zone would have been enough this year, Canyon.

You can't really say if it was on purpose or not. If its dark out and they're wearing black masks, I'm sure they can't see you. I do agree that there is some possibility for injury though. They probably should of did the zone in a different space.

Anyways, the blaring noise for when they need to change the gates annoys me. Half of my visits, the fences were in the same position. This zone is definitely on the bottom of my list. At least they tried something new I guess.

Knowing that this specific scarezone area has never really been as intense as it could, a cornstalk maze of sorts with no chances of getting lost would definitely work. All the entrances to the 'other sections' of the maze could be blocked by guys with chainsaws wearing the heads of animals as masks, and there could be decapitated farm animals everywhere. Almost like a house, but shorter, outside, and more focused on the scares. And to avoid traffic, it would be a one-way ordeal with lots of tight corners and crannies.

Last edited:
Knowing that this specific scarezone area has never really been as intense as it could, a cornstalk maze of sorts with no chances of getting lost would definitely work. All the entrances to the 'other sections' of the maze could be blocked by guys with chainsaws wearing the heads of animals as masks, and there could be decapitated farm animals everywhere. Almost like a house, but shorter, outside, and more focused on the scares. And to avoid traffic, it would be a one-way ordeal with lots of tight corners and crannies.

You'll never see a corn field/maze at Horror Nights again. :lol:

Ha, I'm all ears on why since I've only recently gotten into haunts and the like. But, conceptually, wouldn't that idea work? A two-way 'maze' that isn't a house yet still keeps the intimate fear factor as alive as that within a house.

Ha, I'm all ears on why since I've only recently gotten into haunts and the like. But, conceptually, wouldn't that idea work? A two-way 'maze' that isn't a house yet still keeps the intimate fear factor as alive as that within a house.

They had a scarezone during HHN 14 called "Field of Screams". It connected both parks, and the original idea was to grow huge stalks of corn for the actors to hide in. Well, that same year, we happened to get hit by 4-5 hurricanes and most of the field was damaged. They salvaged what they could, but it wasn't what it could have been.

Here's a vid:

[video=youtube;w-wrQZUikGE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-wrQZUikGE[/video]

Wow yeah, that doesn't look like it could bode well under both storms. :lol: I think, however, that if the cornstalks were just bunched up onto structural bases and were tall enough, the concept could work with just a bit of cleanup after every night.

Wow yeah, that doesn't look like it could bode well under both storms. :lol: I think, however, that if the cornstalks were just bunched up onto structural bases and were tall enough, the concept could work with just a bit of cleanup after every night.

The problem was growing them, and once the stalk is broken, it's broken.

I almost got smacked in the face by a fence Thursday night. No big deal, I don't get my panties in a bunch over such, but this zone is more of an annoyance than anything else. Even when you're "cut off", its just like "okay, I'll step to the left 4 feet and go around it". You don't feel trapped, but inconvenienced for a second.

You can't really say if it was on purpose or not. If its dark out and they're wearing black masks, I'm sure they can't see you. I do agree that there is some possibility for injury though. They probably should of did the zone in a different space.

The actors can see and they can feel too. It isn't pitch black, and being there a long time your eyes adjust more and more to the lower light. Plus, he was right next to us and communicating with us as he was moving it, plus if you push something and there's something in front, you feel it and you have to exert more force to keep moving it. He did know what he was doing. Anyways, like I said, I wouldn't make anything of it unless anyone got hurt... It's just not the best way to try to scare someone. They need to get more creative in this particular zone, and avoid the risk of injury.

They had a scarezone during HHN 14 called "Field of Screams". It connected both parks, and the original idea was to grow huge stalks of corn for the actors to hide in. Well, that same year, we happened to get hit by 4-5 hurricanes and most of the field was damaged. They salvaged what they could, but it wasn't what it could have been.

Corn mazes are very classic Halloween and I think it would be neat to see something like it in the future, but probably better if they make fake corn so it's more... durable :p

I almost got smacked in the face by a fence Thursday night. No big deal, I don't get my panties in a bunch over such, but this zone is more of an annoyance than anything else. Even when you're "cut off", its just like "okay, I'll step to the left 4 feet and go around it". You don't feel trapped, but inconvenienced for a second.

I agree.

I personally enjoyed this scare-zone and was pleasantly surprised by it. The costumes were unique and different, while the changing layout was confusing at times. I think my favorite thing, however, was the abundance of fog with the nifty lighting effects and constant sound effects (which kinda reminded me of the Smoke Monster from LOST... :p)