Orlando 2023 | Inside Universal Forums

Orlando 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 26, 2014
Glasgow
I didn't think this would be happening for a long time but it seems like I'm once again returning to Orlando.

Disney World is back on the cards, Universal obviously but I've learned my lessons from SeaWorld and the surf coaster just isn't enough. I'm currently looking at mid September for my trip.

I've accumulated a lot of air miles and rewards, enough to fly upper class with Virgin there and back twice. I had originally planned to do California and Vegas this year but the planning just doesn't allow me to do it how I would like and Orlando is the obvious answer. Not to mention, I still have credit left with a travel company and the current deal would allow for an 8 night stay at Portofino would for only $500 more than staying at Cabana Bay, feels like a no brainer.

The Disney deals are pretty terrible here but the dining card deal in the US makes it worthwhile.

As usual, I have questions, I'd be curious to know the opinions of other users here.

Taking dining credit into account, Coronado works out around the same price as Pop Century for an 8 day trip. While this seems like an obvious answer on where to stay, I love the Skyliner at Pop Century and the time it saves compared to waiting on buses.

The car rental prices are insane just now, by the time I take parking at Portofino, it's working out around 100 bucks a day to have a car. On my last trip, I probably used the car every other day. Uber seems like the obvious answer again and I'm sure it will save money but I hate waiting around.

I did have a list of other questions but I'm drawing a blank just now, I'll be sure to ask when they return.

Thanks as always.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Mad Dog
I didn't think this would be happening for a long time but it seems like I'm once again returning to Orlando.

Disney World is back on the cards, Universal obviously but I've learned my lessons from SeaWorld and the surf coaster just isn't enough. I'm currently looking at mid September for my trip.

I've accumulated a lot of air miles and rewards, enough to fly upper class with Virgin there and back twice. I had originally planned to do California and Vegas this year but the planning just doesn't allow me to do it how I would like and Orlando is the obvious answer. Not to mention, I still have credit left with a travel company and the current deal would allow for an 8 night stay at Portofino would for only $500 more than staying at Cabana Bay, feels like a no brainer.

The Disney deals are pretty terrible here but the dining card deal in the US makes it worthwhile.

As usual, I have questions, I'd be curious to know the opinions of other users here.

Taking dining credit into account, Coronado works out around the same price as Pop Century for an 8 day trip. While this seems like an obvious answer on where to stay, I love the Skyliner at Pop Century and the time it saves compared to waiting on buses.

The car rental prices are insane just now, by the time I take parking at Portofino, it's working out around 100 bucks a day to have a car. On my last trip, I probably used the car every other day. Uber seems like the obvious answer again and I'm sure it will save money but I hate waiting around.

I did have a list of other questions but I'm drawing a blank just now, I'll be sure to ask when they return.

Thanks as always.
After your last trip this puts the M in S&M, I hope you have a much better experience to wash that last thing out of your minds

Finally booked my flights last weekend and have now kind of backed myself into a corner.

Flying out 8th September, fly home on the 26th but it's a late flight so might book an extra day at the hotel so I don't need to check out at 11.
The hotel options are limited at Disney. I had originally planned on Staying at Pop Century as normal but it's sold out. I can either stay at an All Stars for about £1100 or the next cheapest is Port Orleans at double the price. I looked at some of the hotels in the Disney Springs area but by the time you add everything on, you're not really saving anything.

Universal will either be Cabana Bay or Portofino. There's a good deal on Portofino from a slightly questionable site but I've used them before with no issue. If I stay at Portofino, should I book at extra night or can they provide a late check out until 4?

The real question is, do I need Express?

Finally booked my flights last weekend and have now kind of backed myself into a corner.

Flying out 8th September, fly home on the 26th but it's a late flight so might book an extra day at the hotel so I don't need to check out at 11.
The hotel options are limited at Disney. I had originally planned on Staying at Pop Century as normal but it's sold out. I can either stay at an All Stars for about £1100 or the next cheapest is Port Orleans at double the price. I looked at some of the hotels in the Disney Springs area but by the time you add everything on, you're not really saving anything.

Universal will either be Cabana Bay or Portofino. There's a good deal on Portofino from a slightly questionable site but I've used them before with no issue. If I stay at Portofino, should I book at extra night or can they provide a late check out until 4?

The real question is, do I need Express?
If your last day is Portofino, I’d hold off on booking the extra night solely because of how stoked I’d be to get a whole day to use the Express Passes one last time lol. I dont know about a late checkout, but at the very least you could check your bags at the bell stand while enjoying the parks or even lounging by the pool that last day. At Cabana, I’d be more tempted to book that extra night but there’s enough indoor space/things to do to kill some time without a room before you’ve got to head out.

Have you checked with Bonnett Creek for your Disney stay? The rooms will likely come out to be a little pricier than the Value Disney resorts but you can at least accumulate loyalty points (bonus if you’re already a Bonvoy member, or equivalent status at Wyndham, Hilton, etc.). That’ll pay off dividends in the future not only for other Disney World trips but anywhere else you want to go. For that matter, Swan and Dolphin usually has good rates too (I think as low as 200/night even during non-Christmas peak) while letting you stack up Disney AND Marriott benefits.

Either way, hope you have a blast

If your last day is Portofino, I’d hold off on booking the extra night solely because of how stoked I’d be to get a whole day to use the Express Passes one last time lol. I dont know about a late checkout, but at the very least you could check your bags at the bell stand while enjoying the parks or even lounging by the pool that last day. At Cabana, I’d be more tempted to book that extra night but there’s enough indoor space/things to do to kill some time without a room before you’ve got to head out.

Have you checked with Bonnett Creek for your Disney stay? The rooms will likely come out to be a little pricier than the Value Disney resorts but you can at least accumulate loyalty points (bonus if you’re already a Bonvoy member, or equivalent status at Wyndham, Hilton, etc.). That’ll pay off dividends in the future not only for other Disney World trips but anywhere else you want to go. For that matter, Swan and Dolphin usually has good rates too (I think as low as 200/night even during non-Christmas peak) while letting you stack up Disney AND Marriott benefits.

Either way, hope you have a blast

I took your advice and chose not to book an extra day, a few more hours at the park will be a fun end to the trip. I've managed to get a surprisingly good deal at Royal Pacific, to the point that I'm expecting an email to say that they can’t honour it.
I think I'm set on All Stars Music, it's so cheap plus all the Disney on site benefits. The way I figure it, the money saved can be used for Genie+, a few LLs and some meals. I'll barely be in the room anyway.

Last edited:
I took your advice and chose not to book an extra day, a few more hours at the park will be a fun end to the trip. I've managed to get a surprisingly good deal at Royal Pacific, to the point that I'm expecting an email to say that they can’t honour it.
I think I'm set on All Stars Music, it's so cheap plus all the Disney on site benefits. The way I figure it, the money saved can be used for Genie+, a few LLs and some meals. I'll barely be in the room anyway.
if you don't mind me asking, where did you book your room for royal pacific? we're headed down for similar dates and, while I've got a room booked, I'd be happy to find a better deal.