Orlando Vacation June 15-24 | Inside Universal Forums

Orlando Vacation June 15-24

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

jtsalien

V.I.P. Member
Mar 9, 2011
T.A.R.D.I.S.
So I like the way Fallow sets up his observation threads, so I'm kinda stealing his format for this :lol:

Flight and Rooms

We flew from Philadelphia to Orlando International on Southwest. First time on Southwest, but had no problems. Would fly again. The first and last night we stayed at a Residence Inn a few minutes from the airport using Marriot points we had. I wouldn't recommend this for a park stay as it was a bit of a pain to get to Universal from here, but the rooms are fantastic and it's right by the airport. The rest of the week we stayed at the Town Center at Westgate Vacation Villas. We own at the villas, but upgraded to the Town Center because we needed extra room. It wasn't the best, but a pretty good room. It was a main room with a lockoff. The main room had a full kitchen, washer/dryer, master bedroom, bedroom with two queen beds and full bathroom, and a balcony. The only thing that bothered us was the 90s era projection big screen in the living room :lol:. The lockoff had a full bath, small kicthen, pull out couch, and a bedroom with a queen bed and balcony. About the same as the rooms found by Universal at the Westgate Lakes.

-Travel tip for anyone at Philadelphia International. Eat at the Chickie's and Pete's take-out counter. But the crab fries come in one size and are more than enough for 2 or even 3 adults to share :lol:

Universal Studios
-Disater was down two days in a row during the early morning, not sure why either time. But it was up and running by noon on both days.
-Loved the new Wolfman feature of the Horror Make-Up show. The show is one of my favorites, and the new scenes really helped the show move along better to me. Van Helsing definitely had gotten stale.
-If you need a laugh, stand by the Blue Man Group entrance to the Studios on a Summer Concert Series day. An alarming amount of people tried to enter the park without a ticket, and were surprised to find out one was needed :lol:
-This is more of a two park comment, but the red souvenir cups are really a great value. Plus they save the hassle of carrying around drinks and the Coke Freestyle machines are fun.
-Cinispec could use a couple viewing areas around the lagoon, but I guess they aren't necessary.

Islands of Adventure
-Spiderman had an odd breakdown on me. After getting blasted with the anti-gravity cannon, the sound was out in the next scene. Then the projection quickly stopped and we slammed to a hault. The vehicle held still, then jerked around a bit with no sound or video. Then we got video, but no sound. Then the sound came back but it was out of sync with the video. We were offered another ride through child swap and everything worked fine, though.
-Dudley was in bad shape. Whether they are fixing up AA's or not, it looks terrible when you can see where a figure should be, hear the sound, but the figure is not there.
-The visuals on the new Spiderman are stunning. Simply incredibly. Blew away even my high expectations. But I still hate the new score. A lot :mad:. I'm especially irked by the techno version of the Spiderman theme when you exit. If my heart wasn't warmed by Stan Lee making the post ride spiel, I'd be in a bad mood exiting the ride :lol:

Magic Kingdom
-The Brer Wolf holding Brer Rabbit when he is tied up was static. So was the Pig plaing piano on the Zip-A-Dee-Lady.
-The sound on Space is really just annoying to me. Adds nothing to the experience, and just obnoxious.
-Buzz needs new guns. Mine was all over the place two of the times I was on. I'd at least like the kind from Disneyland where you can actually hold the gun.
-Wanted to try the new Lemonade at the STT in Adventureland, but had no idea it'd be closed at 7:15 PM.
-I got to see them tow a boat on Jungle Cruise. One of the boats ready to leave the station stalled, and got pulled back behind the scenes by another one on the dock.
DSCN0187.jpg

Epcot
-Future World is pretty bare without Test Track. It needs another E-Ticket. Bad.
-Tried Biergarten and loved it. It's really a great time. Highly recommend it.
DSCN0166.jpg

-For Dreamfinder's sake, KILL CAPTAIN EO!!!
-As bad as Innoventions is overall, there are some neat things in there. The Sum of All Thrills is a pretty fun attraction, regardless of the under use of the Kuka capabilities. The IBM Smarter Planet exhibit is a little dry, but interesting nonetheless.

Hollywood Studios
-It's laughable that they attempt to pass off the Backlot Tour as an attraction. Extremely pathetic. Pearl Harbor came out in 2001. Let alone trying to pass this thing off as a backlot, at least update the lame special effects scenes and queue videos.
-Do they still do both versions of the Great Movie Ride? For the past few years I've only gotten the gangster version.
-The last Honey I Shrunk the... film came out in 1997 as a direct to video release. The crappy TV show ended in 2012. Please, do something, anything else with that space Disney.
-American Idol could be tolerable, if not for the "I've got the Music in Me" segment. So terrible.
-It's tough to see in the pictures I tried to take, but the eyes on the Mr. Potatohead in TSMM looked really bad. They were spotted almost.

Animal Kingdom
-Nemo impresses me more each time I see it. Really a great show and love the effects and puppets.
-Everest depresses me more each time I ride :lol:. Down with Disco Yeti!
-I rode Kail River Rapids, and remembered why I've been on the ride only once before. Hated it.
-As corny as it was, I did miss the part with Wilson Matua.
-Whether it's Avatar or not, AK needs more attractions. Plain and simple.

And last but not least, WAWA!!!!
DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0121.jpg

Thanks for the report... although I was left wondering if you enjoyed anything other than Biergarten. :lol: