Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Parking and Rope Drop

Jan 11, 2016
How early does parking open? Once the Wizarding World opens, will it be earlier? And how does rope drop work at this park? Also, will front of the line passes work for the Harry Potter attractions? Thx for any info you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of your questions are "TBD".  Parking structures usually open one hour prior to park opening.  However, I imagine this will change with Potter-phobia.

"Rope Drop" usually happens within the main entrance leading up to the first Digital Directory board.  There is now an audio announcement welcoming the guests and a "Lights, Camera, Action!" moment.  Not often is this done early unless its been an extremely crowded weekend.

Since FOL does not work in Orlando, it will be tough to gauge this for Potter.  I can imagine we may follow a similar structure to Japan, but that is just a guess.  FJ is plagued with long lines and a slow load.  I can imagine VIP may get access, but standard FOL may be a tough sell.

Thanks, Chris. I'm glad I came across this site -- I haven't found any other forums as informed. Well done.

I'm debating staying on property the first weekend vs. staying off campus and driving up. It's around $100/night cheaper to stay somewhere else, but I don't want to do that only to find that I can't park in time to get in the queue early enough. I bought a Costco pass, maybe prematurely but I doubt that the price will decline by waiting. I worry that a future ticket will offer front of the line options like Japan, but I'm betting if they do it will cost substantially more than $95.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the queue, given that the entrance to the park is so close to Hogsmede. 

FOL will get you into the land without a return time as well as have a much longer queue. than some of the other standard FOL enterances around the park. Its not a tough sell when you see it like that. 

FOL will get you into the land without a return time as well as have a much longer queue. than some of the other standard FOL enterances around the park. Its not a tough sell when you see it like that. 
Thx for your response. So the front of the line pass is more than priority into the ride, but also into Hogsmede itself? I'm trying to determine if I'm in the first few hundred into the park, will I likely still get a return time, or will I be allowed straight away into Hogsmede?

More than likely if you arrive with the opening crowd, you will not require a return ticket.  This talk of the FOL pass bypassing the return ticket time is interesting and not too inconceivable.  I would not put it past USH to sell more tickets that way.  Shame. 

Staying offsite is important.  Its just difficult to get to the park early if you do not stay next to the Metro Red Line train.

Remember to visit before May 23 with the Costco Pass!

More than likely if you arrive with the opening crowd, you will not require a return ticket.  This talk of the FOL pass bypassing the return ticket time is interesting and not too inconceivable.  I would not put it past USH to sell more tickets that way.  Shame. 

Staying offsite is important.  Its just difficult to get to the park early if you do not stay next to the Metro Red Line train.

Remember to visit before May 23 with the Costco Pass!
Will do -- planning on coming April 9. I've never been there early, other than once with a VIP pass -- is traffic bad on Saturdays when parking opens?

FWIW: I did get a response from USH that the FOL passes will work on the Harry Potter attractions, but no news yet on how FOL will impact crowd control into Hogsmeade.

Yeah, could be ugly. I'm hoping to get there early enough to make it into Hogsmeade in the first wave -- just unsure what time that will be. At least some folks will have already done the soft open or opening two days. Want to just get in there and do some spells and drink butterbeer and hang out until it gets unbearable.