Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Peacemaker (HBO Max)

RevFreako

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
GOT and Watchmen technically don't even count towards HBO Max as those were both finished before HBO Max even launched. Sure, they are on Max, but people have already seen them on HBO if they wanted to. Plus, shows from HBO go onto iTunes and Amazon for purchase, so they aren't exactly "exclusive".

What HBO Max is lacking is actual quality Max Originals. I'll give them that The Flight Attendant was really good, but it also seems like hardly anyone knows about it. HBO Max is lacking that "Must-see" exclusive original. Snyder Cut was the biggest buzz thing they've had, but I think a lot of those watchers were either already subbed or were one and done's (one month only). And to sort of add on to their problem, I don't believe they can make any Potter shows until the contract with Universal is up and Amazon now has Lord of the Rings.

Peacemaker should be a really fun show for the service, but I feel like this is the type of show that should've been ready to go at launch. Peacemaker will probably be up there on the level of The Boys for a good comparison. But that's not even coming until January.
I realize I'm an Ennis fanboy, but The Boys is really as good as it gets on superhero drama. I don't know that Peacemaker will be much of an apt comparison.

I realize I'm an Ennis fanboy, but The Boys is really as good as it gets on superhero drama. I don't know that Peacemaker will be much of an apt comparison.
I get that about The Boys. I more meant in terms of tone, they'll likely be very similar. Peacemaker, much like The Suicide Squad, I expect the be an TV MA/R-rated Comedy/Drama. With James Gunn directing and writing the series, I have high hopes.

I get that about The Boys. I more meant in terms of tone, they'll likely be very similar. Peacemaker, much like The Suicide Squad, I expect the be an TV MA/R-rated Comedy/Drama. With James Gunn directing and writing the series, I have high hopes.
I think it's going to lean hard on the comedy, myself. I don't see a lot of heartfelt drama coming out of Cena. I'd love to be wrong.

I think it's going to lean hard on the comedy, myself. I don't see a lot of heartfelt drama coming out of Cena. I'd love to be wrong.
I know this is supposed to be Peacemaker's origin story, and I certainly expect it to lean to comedy more, but it also depends on what the supporting cast brings to the table as far as exactly how comedic it will lean.

I know this is supposed to be Peacemaker's origin story, and I certainly expect it to lean to comedy more, but it also depends on what the supporting cast brings to the table as far as exactly how comedic it will lean.
I think you're right on that.

Production on this show has wrapped and is scheduled to premiere in January:

James Gunn will direct 5 of the 8 episodes, with Jody Hill, Brad Anderson (DC Titans) and Rosemary Rodriguez (Jessica Jones) serving as the other three directors.

I wonder if WB/HBO Max regrets greenlighting this show after the movie bombed at the box office (despite it being really good). I'm not sure it has mass appeal.

I wonder if WB/HBO Max regrets greenlighting this show after the movie bombed at the box office (despite it being really good). I'm not sure it has mass appeal.
Ohhh I bet they do but considering PeaceMaker was one of the best parts of that film, I think it will be great just not draw many people in. But who knows if the budget wasn't too big and it's like could get a season 2

I would love to see him back in another film too bad the JL don't have a base he could have to steal from for the government, he's be fun to see against lower ranking league members

Peacemaker had a 3-episode premiere today if any were interested to watch it. It’s currently sitting at a 92% on RT. I’ll watch at least one episode later, but this series looks very much in line with the tone of The Suicide Squad (unsurprisingly since it’s a spin-off and directed by James Gunn). So at the very least, it looks like a blast, just like the movie.

Watched all 3-episodes. This show definitely isn't for everyone, but if you loved The Suicide Squad and James Gunn's off-beat style, you'll LOVE this series. Much like the Disney+ series', the show is more about adding backstory and adding depth to the character. Through the first 3 episodes, there hasn't been one real legitimate action scene yet, even on par with something from The CW shows. But i'm totally okay with that because the show is so freaking good. It picks up from the Post-Credits scene from The Suicide Squad where we find Peacemaker survived the bullet shot from Bloodsport and he's in the hospital recovering.

It's probably just because the DCEU has been so bad at this over the years (and that James Gunn has MCU experience), but The Suicide Squad paired with this show feels like the first thing they've really ever done that uses post-credits scenes effectively to set up future projects/episodes on a consistent basis and everything feels natural. There's tie in's to the movie beyond Peacemaker (Viola Davis' Amanda Walker shows up, who is also the mother of one of the new agents, Danielle Brooks' Leota Adebayo). I'm not sure if there are plans for a sequel to TSS, but if not, i'd love to see more shows like this as long as they are written by James Gunn with the shows following other characters.

Overall, I actually think that HBO Max could be something that could turn the DCEU around and actually give it the connective tissue that is badly needed to tie everything together. Character development is something that has been the DCEU's weak point. They always seem like they are rushing themselves so the development never happens. I guess you could say Cavill's Superman got a 3-film arc and Aquaman and Wonder Woman did show their beginnings as they were Origin stories, but other than that, Peacemaker is the fourth best fleshed out character already in the DCEU, which quite frankly should be embarrassing considering their roster of characters.

Also, James Gunn has excellent taste in music. From GotG, GotG 2, TSS, and now Peacemaker. The music is always top notch.

Wow, ep 2 was kinda... over the top.

I get that Peacemaker is some sort of douchebro trying to be a hero, and there will likely be some sort of redemption arc, but that was a bit... much.

So I dont hate the show...but the really positive reviews confuse me. Its good but people are making this sound like its amazing.

I think so far its cool and a chill show, dont love it as much as say Young Justice which is the public seems to ignore because its a cartoon