Pixar's Luca | Inside Universal Forums

Pixar's Luca

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 4, 2013
Tampa
*insert EPCOT Italian pavilion expansion discussion*

On a serious note, I'm really glad that we're getting so many movies about international locales from Disney and Pixar. Between Coco, Raya, Encanto, and now this, it's giving minorities the chance to bring their culture to the forefront.

source.gif

Alrighty, I'm loving the new art style, the setting and it looks to have a ton of charm, too.

The big question is will they actually follow through with the metaphors, since it's literally out there, no pun intended.

Reactions: Clive and WAJAS
Alrighty, I'm loving the new art style, the setting and it looks to have a ton of charm, too.

The big question is will they actually follow through with the metaphors, since it's literally out there, no pun intended.
Not even the straightest person living in the most conservative state is missing the metaphor, which is probably what Disney is betting on so they don't have to commit to making it explicit.

As an older gay fellow, the trailer is adorable and scary at the same time.

PIXAR is throwing a firecracker in a gas can. And after this year I'm not sure I have the fight in me to do this...tactfully.

• Love
Reactions: faceleg
Not even the straightest person living in the most conservative state is missing the metaphor, which is probably what Disney is betting on so they don't have to commit to making it explicit.
I'm so dense I didn't even make the connection with the possible sea-monster metaphor until you just mentioned it.

I’m with the rest of you, it would be absolutely huge if they followed through on it. I have a feeling that it’ll feel like bait and switch
Pixar has already shown the willingness to tackle this subject head on in the Disney+ Original short "Out".

I highly doubt it would be a bait and switch at this point because now you've got everyone thinking what kind of movie it's going to be, meaning a certain segment simply won't even go because of their preconceived notions based on this trailer. So if you then proceed to piss off the people open minded enough to want to see the film... well, then you just kinda royally screwed yourself, didn't you?

Here's some behind the scenes from Out:

Pixar has already shown the willingness to tackle this subject head on in the Disney+ Original short "Out".

I highly doubt it would be a bait and switch at this point because now you've got everyone thinking what kind of movie it's going to be, meaning a certain segment simply won't even go because of their preconceived notions based on this trailer. So if you then proceed to piss off the people open minded enough to want to see the film... well, then you just kinda royally screwed yourself, didn't you?

Here's some behind the scenes from Out:

I will say Out did feature an adult couple and was about coming out to parents. This is about two kids, which could raise some eyebrows even if there's hypocrisy about Disney making kids romantic interests in prior movies.

I have a feeling that they will go through with the metaphor, but it will stay a metaphor (eg. the main two characters will remain friends).

Same, I think it'll remain a metaphor but they also won't have them romantically involved with the female character either. Probably leave it open-ended or do a flash-forward to them older where its explicitly stated.

Reactions: Magic Feather

Grrr, I wanted to see this on the big screen

Hmm, feel like this could be multiple things.

1. Consequence of Raya underperformance? (possibly but Disney publicly called its dual release a success, whatever that means)

2. Lack of confidence in original Pixar films? (Doubtful. The Pixar brand is strong enough to carry its own land. Inside Out and Coco both made over $800 million with protagonists that very few companies would choose to frontline major films)

3. Diminishing returns on animated films? (Besides Disney, many animated films struggled in 2019. Now most of these movies...weren't great, but still a worrying trend for films that are usually a safe bet regardless of quality. Still, the Disney seal of quality should negate this concern)

4. Actual concern about the pandemic? (Then shift the date to August or do Premier Access)

5. Providing Disney+ with much needed family content? (Wouldn't that need be better served with a TV show, of which there are several, including an upcoming Monsters Inc. show?)

It's become legitimately worrying about what Disney has planned for them. I can't think of a good reason why Disney doesn't seem to want to do theatrical releases for Pixar's films anymore. Especially since Luca would probably make more money than Cruella could ever hope for.

To add on to something I wrote, Pixar's predictably not happy about their movies being unceremoniously dumped like a second-rate studio.

Reactions: SeventyOne
To add on to something I wrote, Pixar's predictably not happy about their movies being unceremoniously dumped like a second-rate studio.

Ever since Disney changed their content distribution model last August, the Studios at this point should almost expect their movies will end up on streaming. That's the way Disney has geared the model. Obviously I wouldn't be happy if I were them though, either.

Basically, the way Disney changed things is that all of their studios make content now and then it is decided where that content most appropriately fits whether it's Disney+, Hulu or Theatrical.

While they may be demoralized, Disney+ has over 100M subscribers and growing, meaning their movies will actually probably be seen by more people than ever before if you think about it like that.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Ever since Disney changed their content distribution model last August, the Studios at this point should almost expect their movies will end up on streaming. That's the way Disney has geared the model. Obviously I wouldn't be happy if I were them though, either.

Basically, the way Disney changed things is that all of their studios make content now and then it is decided where that content most appropriately fits whether it's Disney+, Hulu or Theatrical.

While they may be demoralized, Disney+ has over 100M subscribers and growing, meaning their movies will actually probably be seen by more people than ever before if you think about it like that.

It’s not necessarily that the movie is going to Disney+ that they’re upset about, it’s that they aren’t being given the Premiere Access treatment. It’s creating a perception that Disney seems to view Pixar as a lesser brand that doesn’t deserve to be in the same category as Raya, Mulan, or Black Widow. And it's not really a good look to send two films in a row that feature different cultures straight to streaming.