Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Play! Pavilion

Feb 15, 2012
hbh20938423888444.jpg

As many of you know, we’ve got BIG plans for our multi-year transformation of Epcot, with new experiences that’ll “Wow!” guests while keeping true to the original vision of the park. Today, we’re excited to share even more of what’s to come.

The ongoing evolution of Epcot includes plans for a play pavilion that’ll be unlike anything you’ve ever seen at the park. This new space will be devoted to playful fun and feature an innovative city that’ll come to life under the dome of the un-named pavilion previously known as Wonders of Life. The pavilion’s city will be bursting with interactive experiences, your favorite Disney characters, hands-on activities and engaging entertainment when it opens just in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort!

“This innovative, new pavilion is beyond anything we’ve ever created and is completely unique to Epcot,” said Zach Riddley, portfolio executive, Walt Disney Imagineering. “Built on the power of play, it introduces an immersive and interactive ‘city’ where you can explore, create, and interact with some of your favorite Disney characters. This is an experience worthy of our bold vision for Epcot – and another signature element of our transformation.”

Hopefully this isn’t just an enclosed area for kids to run around with M&Gs around the edges. Looking at the rather generic city photo, it does have some specific spots like Cinema, Hotel, Wedway, And Dance. Maybe a 4D movie or some other use of the old show spaces from WOL?

So much for the Wakanda area some were hoping for.

If you notice in the building just off center to the right at the top it says “WEDWAY” so is that a hint that there will be an omnimover attraction? Almost as a placeholder for the actual name or is it just a coincidence?

Edit: @Yabbadabba Doh beat me to it but question still remains

So, I've allowed my initial very cold reaction to this to settle a bit. I think there's the possibility this could be a fine little experience for kids that doesn't totally break the theme of Epcot, despite the presence of all the Disney characters.

I like that it seems to be a "City of the Future" sort of concept, and the presence of words like "Wedway" is interesting.

Communicore had interactive exhibits last time I went in. Roughly 15-year-old video game consoles. In other words, set your expectations low and you might not be disappointed.

That said, Inside Out and Wreck-It Ralph seem like obvious meet & greets, maybe Baymax. Possibly any random Marvel characters who break thru in the MCU and aren't in the contract.

There's this chain of kids play places called KidZania where kids pretend to do jobs (firefighter, cashier, doctor), receive fake money, and then can use that money to buy stuff.

This kind of gives me the same vibe. I don't think it'll be as big, but I could see them taking some of those ideas. Nowhere in the States has anything like that (to my knowledge)