Prey (Hulu) | Inside Universal Forums

Prey (Hulu)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
This honestly looks like it has huge potential. Can’t believe Disney is choosing to skip out on theaters for Hulu.

Not counting AvP, the last Predator film ranked last in the franchise at the domestic box office, even before adjusting for inflation.

So I can see why it’s skipping theaters.

Not counting AvP, the last Predator film ranked last in the franchise at the domestic box office, even before adjusting for inflation.

So I can see why it’s skipping theaters.
Yeah, but the the last film was garbage. This looks a bit closer to the original in terms of capturing The Predator and they seem to have taken a few pages from AQP as well.

Maybe the plan is to just release this one on streaming to reach as many people as possible (the next Alien film is releasing on Hulu, too, along with the Alien series) to try to rebuild a fan base and then if they see big numbers, maybe a sequel is worth putting in theaters.

Still at 95% with 77 reviews. The original Predator movie has an 80% on RT. all others are rotten except for 2010's Predators at 65%. I can't wait to watch this film on Friday.

Still at 95% with 77 reviews. The original Predator movie has an 80% on RT. all others are rotten except for 2010's Predators at 65%. I can't wait to watch this film on Friday.

even the people that attacked the trailers are praising it
predator bros we won!

basically just the greatest predator sequel ive ever watched, one of the best movies of the year
one of the best movies i ever watched

Last edited:
Reactions: jseal777
basically just the greatest predator sequel ive ever watched, one of the best movies of the year
one of the best movies i ever watched
I'm watching it soon. I did a rewatch of the original Predator and I forgot how good a Predator movie can be. Then for some reason I put on Predator 2 (Which I actually don't mind as much as most as I thought there was some decent world building stuff) just to snap myself back to reality of what pretty much every Predator movies since the original has been like.

With the warm reception of this movie though, I wonder if this is the beginning of a prequel trilogy and with Alien coming having not only a movie, but a series set to both come out on Hulu, I wonder if a new AvP movie is in the cards... you know, one that's actually good?

I'm watching it soon. I did a rewatch of the original Predator and I forgot how good a Predator movie can be. Then for some reason I put on Predator 2 (Which I actually don't mind as much as most as I thought there was some decent world building stuff) just to snap myself back to reality of what pretty much every Predator movies since the original has been like.

With the warm reception of this movie though, I wonder if this is the beginning of a prequel trilogy and with Alien coming having not only a movie, but a series set to both come out on Hulu, I wonder if a new AvP movie is in the cards... you know, one that's actually good?

its gonna sound controversial and maybe im hyping it too much, but this movie was as good and had more surprises and a scarier predator than the first one.
maybe my opinion will change over time, but, right now, my jaw dropped a couple times with this movie

Reactions: Nick and Legacy
So I got to watching this movie. I don't think I liked it as much as say @Lucky Planet for example, but I still highly enjoyed this film.

This movie does open a bit slow and while it took me say 15 minutes to really get into it, once I was into it, I was on the edge of my seat just like I was the first time I saw the original Predator. What I love that they did with this film was keeping the dialogue limited (and for that reason I can't recommend this movie if you are in any way tired), focusing a lot on nature, and keeping the run time slim. This is the shortest of the Predator franchise by 7 minutes and while that's not a ton of time, I like that this movie felt like it didn't waste a second of the movie with unneeded filler (all other movies clock in right around 107 minutes, this one is 100). 2018's The Predator feels way longer than it is because so much time is wasted in that movie for example.

Some of the kills in this movie really are extremely intense and like those "oh s---" moments. I won't spoil which ones, but there was a few that I was like "He's about to die" and then they STILL surprised me with the way the kill was executed. It was executed brilliantly. Fans of the franchise will probably enjoy that this movie is sort of like a full circle moment from the ending of Predator 2, which I thought was the coolest part of that movie.

I have to give a lot of credit to Amber Midthunder for basically carrying the movie and to the director Dan Trachtenberg for coming up with a back to basics way to do a Predator movie that isn't like the 2010 Predators where it felt like they were basically just trying to remake Predator. This felt like a way to tell a grounded Predator film (without going into the city like Predators 2 or into the Suburbs like The Predators) while at the same time putting a new spin on it. I expect Trachtenberg will receive a lot of work after this as he's only directed two films before, but those two are 10 Cloverfield Lane (90% on RT) and Prey (93% on RT). He also directed the pilot episode of The Boys.

I'm thinking of watching it a second time in the Comanche language version.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
So I got to watching this movie. I don't think I liked it as much as say @Lucky Planet for example, but I still highly enjoyed this film.

This movie does open a bit slow and while it took me say 15 minutes to really get into it, once I was into it, I was on the edge of my seat just like I was the first time I saw the original Predator. What I love that they did with this film was keeping the dialogue limited (and for that reason I can't recommend this movie if you are in any way tired), focusing a lot on nature, and keeping the run time slim. This is the shortest of the Predator franchise by 7 minutes and while that's not a ton of time, I like that this movie felt like it didn't waste a second of the movie with unneeded filler (all other movies clock in right around 107 minutes, this one is 100). 2018's The Predator feels way longer than it is because so much time is wasted in that movie for example.

Some of the kills in this movie really are extremely intense and like those "oh s---" moments. I won't spoil which ones, but there was a few that I was like "He's about to die" and then they STILL surprised me with the way the kill was executed. It was executed brilliantly. Fans of the franchise will probably enjoy that this movie is sort of like a full circle moment from the ending of Predator 2, which I thought was the coolest part of that movie.

I have to give a lot of credit to Amber Midthunder for basically carrying the movie and to the director Dan Trachtenberg for coming up with a back to basics way to do a Predator movie that isn't like the 2010 Predators where it felt like they were basically just trying to remake Predator. This felt like a way to tell a grounded Predator film (without going into the city like Predators 2 or into the Suburbs like The Predators) while at the same time putting a new spin on it. I expect Trachtenberg will receive a lot of work after this as he's only directed two films before, but those two are 10 Cloverfield Lane (90% on RT) and Prey (93% on RT). He also directed the pilot episode of The Boys.

I'm thinking of watching it a second time in the Comanche language version.

(and like those "oh s---" moments)

which parts? which death? tell me in spoilers

(and like those "oh s---" moments)

which parts? which death? tell me in spoilers
What I love about the Predator franchise is that it's pretty much an anthology franchise with loose connections so as soon as a group gets together, a bunch of people are gonna die. The thing is, if it's not done right, it can come off looking real corny. This was top notch all around.

The VFX, the design of the kills, making this movie feel unique, the cinematography, etc. It breathed new life into a dying franchise and I do hope they do a prequel trilogy of sorts, spanning different times in history. For instance, this was set in the 18th century. There's could be a trilogy of the 18th, 19th, and (early) 20th century. Could you imagine a WW1 or WW2-era Predator film? If they do decide to go that route though, PLEASE keep the same director and creative team.

0:45 and the two from 1:11-1:16 from the video below were the standouts. But like I said above, this film didn't really miss with providing good kills and good suspense. The blade kill chopping down the tree and the guys head at the same time was my favorite and also just cool as hell.

Reactions: Legacy
It was enjoyable. Not the greatest but by far not the worst the franchise has ever put forth. Once you get into the actual hunt with the Predator, it's a great thrill ride. Before that and pertaining to the characters, that's where it fails. The original Predator is a scenario that you can NEVER replicate. It's such a brilliant idea (a group of muscle bound, loud mouth, shoot before thinking action heroes face off against literally the most dangerous predator being that could exist so they absolutely get wrecked until the lone survivor uses his mind and help to fight back) that really doesn't sustain a franchise past "wow, cool antagonist".

It's nice hearing there's a Native American language version because I disliked how the characters would speak English while still using words and phrases from their Native language, even going so far as to explain to the audience what they mean (this movie does noticeably think the audience is stupid quite a bit, weirdly enough).

The main character was particularly unlikable in some circumstances (she reminded me a little of Jade Wesker in the new Resident Evil adaptation in that some of her actions literally lead to the deaths of other characters) and it just felt weirdly unrealistic with how it portrayed the Native American cast. I understand and like the basic idea at the center of the story, even if it is slightly cliched, but it could have been handled so much better.

Overall, probably a 2.5-3 / 5 for me. A blast once we start the chase, a delightfully menacing Predator that will surely be one of the most memorable in franchise history but lacking in most other areas of the movie.

Reactions: Nick
It was enjoyable. Not the greatest but by far not the worst the franchise has ever put forth. Once you get into the actual hunt with the Predator, it's a great thrill ride. Before that and pertaining to the characters, that's where it fails. The original Predator is a scenario that you can NEVER replicate. It's such a brilliant idea (a group of muscle bound, loud mouth, shoot before thinking action heroes face off against literally the most dangerous predator being that could exist so they absolutely get wrecked until the lone survivor uses his mind and help to fight back) that really doesn't sustain a franchise past "wow, cool antagonist".

It's nice hearing there's a Native American language version because I disliked how the characters would speak English while still using words and phrases from their Native language, even going so far as to explain to the audience what they mean (this movie does noticeably think the audience is stupid quite a bit, weirdly enough).

The main character was particularly unlikable in some circumstances (she reminded me a little of Jade Wesker in the new Resident Evil adaptation in that some of her actions literally lead to the deaths of other characters) and it just felt weirdly unrealistic with how it portrayed the Native American cast. I understand and like the basic idea at the center of the story, even if it is slightly cliched, but it could have been handled so much better.

Overall, probably a 2.5-3 / 5 for me. A blast once we start the chase, a delightfully menacing Predator that will surely be one of the most memorable in franchise history but lacking in most other areas of the movie.
Yeah, it's not as good as the original to me at all. But it's a good movie in a franchise filled with bad ones (if you count AvP movies especially). Predators was good, but like I said I felt like that tried to copy the original too much and I felt like the humor fell flat in that movie.

The humor was a big part of the first 30 minutes and then the hunt truly got going in the original (and in every other Predator movie, but the comedy and camaraderie has never landed the same again. In this movie, it was more character focused and the humor was completely absent and I have to say I did miss the humor and camaraderie of the group, but I still enjoyed the different take on a Predator movie and the important thing to me as you mentioned it being a great thrill ride once we got to the hunt.

And about the Comanche dubbed version, all one has to do to access that is go down next the "You May Also Like" section on Hulu or if you are in a country where this is on Disney+, then just go to Extras. It's been talked about how it's actually fairly significant and a good thing for the tribe as it's a dying tribe and dying language, so at least this gives the language a lasting mark to leave.

she wasnt rude like jade wesker. everyone kept bullying her, she was completely right in her tracking instincts. she could tell that something was weird,
those guys of her tribe bullied her. they disregard her warnings.

she wasnt rude like jade wesker. everyone kept bullying her, she was completely right in her tracking instincts. she could tell that something was weird,
those guys of her tribe bullied her. they disregard her warnings.
I haven't watched Resident Evil and quite frankly don't plan to since i've heard mixed to poor things. I agree with you on this though. She wasn't a hunter in their eyes, so they disregarded her. She wasn't the best hunter and her brother was closer better. But she trained herself and she took the advice her mother gave her which was something along the lines of "It's not about being a good hunter, it's about being a survivor". She learned to survive based on her instincts. She learned how the Predator behaved, how it got injured, what it could do, and most importantly that it didn't see her as a threat because she wasn't a hunter.

She survived just long enough to hunt.

To each their own, the story around the main character, particularly with regards to how her own camp treated her just felt extremely contrived to me and could have been executed much better. Her actions, at times, also felt rushed and without thought. Like I said I understand the idea of the story cliche of "character who truly can do something being told they can't saving the day by doing the thing they were told they couldn't do", it just wasn't fleshed out or executed well here. I don't think we needed to have other characters bullying her or disparaging her just because or have her recklessly going out on her own to fight something she knows little about just to prove something. You could have just as easily had a fully supportive tribe of characters who get whittled down until it's up to her to survive the Predator. I'm not a Native American expert by any means so I won't claim to be but it just took me out of the movie so much that this obviously skilled potential hunter would be shunned and mocked by the other members of her own tribe. They had their roles but I just don't think that's how that situation would have played out, especially once they started getting slaughtered by an invisible monster.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter that much since the hook to watching this is the very well done Predator action and hunt scenes set in the 1700s and at that it very much succeeded.

To each their own, the story around the main character, particularly with regards to how her own camp treated her just felt extremely contrived to me and could have been executed much better. Her actions, at times, also felt rushed and without thought. Like I said I understand the idea of the story cliche of "character who truly can do something being told they can't saving the day by doing the thing they were told they couldn't do", it just wasn't fleshed out or executed well here. I don't think we needed to have other characters bullying her or disparaging her just because or have her recklessly going out on her own to fight something she knows little about just to prove something. You could have just as easily had a fully supportive tribe of characters who get whittled down until it's up to her to survive the Predator. I'm not a Native American expert by any means so I won't claim to be but it just took me out of the movie so much that this obviously skilled potential hunter would be shunned and mocked by the other members of her own tribe. They had their roles but I just don't think that's how that situation would have played out, especially once they started getting slaughtered by an invisible monster.
Gender roles were very well in play by the Comanche tribes. See below. It all checks out to me based on what was shown in Prey.

Like most groups of Native Americans and indigenous peoples, the Comanche traditionally had separate gender roles for males and females in daily life. The men were responsible for hunting to provide meat for the tribe. Their other main duty was fighting and being brave warriors. Women were in charge of setting up camps, cooking, and gathering food. They were also the primary caregivers of children.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter that much since the hook to watching this is the very well done Predator action and hunt scenes set in the 1700s and at that it very much succeeded.
She was a proven tracker. She had never proven herself as a hunter. When she talks about “almost” getting the deer and when she doesn’t shoot the red tail, her brother looks at her more derisively than anything. She goes after the Predator to prove that she can hunt because that’s exactly what all Comanche hunters had to do.