Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Either way, we still know waaaaay too little about this experience to be judging it strongly one way or another IMO.

While I agree with the "strongly" part, and with complete acknowledgment that we don't know specific details, I do think that "Toy Story Mania with a moving walkway" (if an accurate description) tells us plenty to draw some broad conclusions about whether or not it might end up being an appealing attraction to us, given our individual tastes.

Sure, but the toddlers would still like to have a bearable day at the park should their parents be inclined to spend a day at Universal. I'm not sure the four year old toddler thinks, "Ah yes, I am having more fun due to the undeniable cultural cache of this experience."

This isn't so much about competing as it is about giving younger kids something to do at all.

Granted, but I don't know where the idea that "things adults might enjoy and things little kids might enjoy MUST be mutually exclusive" is coming from.

I'm skeptical about this project, but it's certainly not because it's aimed more at a family audience.

Reactions: SeventyOne
While I agree with the "strongly" part, and with complete acknowledgment that we don't know specific details, I do think that "Toy Story Mania with a moving walkway" (if an accurate description) tells us plenty to draw some broad conclusions about whether or not it might end up being an appealing attraction to us, given our individual tastes.

Granted, but I don't know where the idea that "things adults might enjoy and things little kids might enjoy MUST be mutually exclusive" is coming from.

I'm skeptical about this project, but it's certainly not because it's aimed more at a family audience.

@belloq87 what are your concerns?

@belloq87 what are your concerns?

"Concerns" is an awfully strong word.

I'm not concerned, but I am disappointed Universal isn't taking the opportunity to add a new, family-friendly dark ride. And I don't like Toy Story Mania much at all (I think it's one of the laziest attractions Disney's ever built), so the prospect of a similar series of screen hallways doesn't interest me (whether sitting or standing).

I'm not at all opposed to a "shooting gallery walk/stand-through" as an attraction idea in the abstract, though.

"Concerns" is an awfully strong word.

I'm not concerned, but I am disappointed Universal isn't taking the opportunity to add a new, family-friendly dark ride. And I don't like Toy Story Mania much at all (I think it's one of the laziest attractions Disney's ever built), so the prospect of a similar series of screen hallways doesn't interest me (whether sitting or standing).

I'm not at all opposed to a "shooting gallery walk/stand-through" as an attraction idea in the abstract, though.
I would think asking for a new family dark ride in that limited space that Shrek allows is a little much.

Reactions: UNIrd
I’m sorry I don’t get the complaints. Literally ANYTHING can be better then Shrek 4D. Something that’s interactive sounds way better then bouncy seat movie :lol:

Guns wouldn’t have to move if our conveyance system stops in front of each booth for each game like Toy Story Mania. Then the guns or controls just need to stay out and we move from to another.

Otherwise, they’d have to hand us a zapper as we enter and use wireless tech to track it.

I can't see the guns being stationary. They'd have to estop every time little timmy didn't want to put the gun down. Either they have to hand them to the guest and get them back at the end, or they'd be tethered to the walkway somehow. That seems like the more likely to me. Have dividers between guests or groups of guests and have the guns be attached to the dividers.

I'm also of the mind that the walkway won't stop and start. Too much of a risk of unstable guests falling.

Is it possible that this attraction uses a system similar to FJ, where each booth/game screen will follow you on the path? This could solve the problem of being able to play the game, and even have different guns at each booth. However this may be too complex of a solution for them to implement, Especially if it opens this year.

Is it possible that this attraction uses a system similar to FJ, where each booth/game screen will follow you on the path? This could solve the problem of being able to play the game, and even have different guns at each booth. However this may be too complex of a solution for them to implement, Especially if it opens this year.
Along those same lines, the Horizons choose-your-ending setup.

Sure, but the toddlers would still like to have a bearable day at the park should their parents be inclined to spend a day at Universal. I'm not sure the four year old toddler thinks, "Ah yes, I am having more fun due to the undeniable cultural cache of this experience."

This isn't so much about competing as it is about giving younger kids something to do at all.
I never said it wasn't, I was responding to someone insinuating that moves like this are crucial for Universal to compete with Disney.

So correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am), but the plan was:
  • SLoP ride, wait a minute, we still want the 2nd theater for HHN!

• Alright, we'll alter it and make it two stories for this park- Oh wait, the ride isn't doing too hot in Hollywood.

• Let's go with a trackless Villain-Con ride instead, oh wait... If we wanna do a ride in here, we gotta completely start from scratch with this building.

• Alright, let's just do an interactive walkthrough.

So correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am), but the plan was:
  • SLoP ride, wait a minute, we still want the 2nd theater for HHN!

• Alright, we'll alter it and make it two stories for this park- Oh wait, the ride isn't doing too hot in Hollywood.

• Let's go with a trackless Villain-Con ride instead, oh wait... If we wanna do a ride in here, we gotta completely start from scratch with this building.

• Alright, let's just do an interactive walkthrough.
Shockingly, the trackless Villain-Con predates most other rumors. It was 2017 when we first talked about it. And was being developed at the same time as the trackless Pets ride, back when that was going to be on the lower lot at Hollywood.

I like the Minions fine, have maintained for close to decades what Universal lacks is C and D tickets. So I'm inclined to like this.

But it's more screenz, which is an impossible sell in Studios right now. And Uni needs to find a way to check expectations that this is anything other than a delightful little time-waster. It's prime location by the entrance will not help with that.

My hope/expectations for is for this to become the people mover of sorts for the park. Just a quick fun “ride” that kills time while you’re waiting to do something else and always has a minimal wait.
Except I wouldn’t ride the peoplemover every time I go to the park (and probably not more than once) if I had to stand the whole time.

After 18 years, Shrek 4D officially closed its doors for the final time last night. This morning, Minion-themed construction walls now surround the just-closed attraction.

Y'all, they haven't even announced yet it how about we don't jump to conclusions.

But's that's so...logical...

You know us better than that.

Villan-Con being a standing Toy Story Mania sounds kind of dope. Would be fantastic for kids and would be completely different from Minion Mayhem outside of heavy screen usage I'm guessing. It'll definitely be more popular than Pets.

I swear to God, if this gets higher GSATs than Pets did in Hollywood, I don't ever want to hear another "too much screens" complaint again for the rest of my life.

Reactions: Tobias and Legacy