Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Serengeti Flyer (Opening Spring 2023)

Nov 9, 2019
The long rumored demolition of the remaining Rhino Rally structures is finally upon us. It looks like they a getting rid of some old building's, walkways, and steps. They also seem to call one of the remaining buildings a "story building".
Im gonna take a shot in the dark and say that this is NOT a coaster. We've had two new coasters in the past two years, back to back. Im gonna guess this is dark ride. I hope that this is a dark ride because the park really needs more variety.

There's plenty of on-going discussion about this project here starting from November:

What's next for Busch Gardens Tampa?? | Page 57 | Inside Universal Forums
What's next for Busch Gardens Tampa?? | Page 58 | Inside Universal Forums

But to summarize:

It's some kind of outdoor flat ride.
Total project cost is $4 million.
Rider's will apparently be divided into two groups before boarding.
Best guess is a Screamin' Swing like Finnegan's Flyer, but that's just a guess.

Also, the news outlets who are reporting the queue building is called a "story building" are misreading the plans and interpreting it as meaning something else. The building has one story/floor/level and is labeled as a "1 story building". I guess they missed the number one or just didn't know what they were looking at and ran with the fact it said "story".

Given the Space, I personally feel that something from Skyline would fit better (if they could ever get it to work), but a Screamin' Swing is much more likely. The only thing that throws me off the Screamin' Swing is an old plan that I saw showing one next to Tigris, fitting in almost perfectly, as though Tigris was designed for a Screamin' Swing to go next to it.

I'd love it if it was one of those Zamperla Giga Discoveries. I've only been on the smaller Huss versions of those kinds of pendulum rides, but the queue is divided into two separate corrals before boarding, so one of those would fit in with how this appears to load. Plus, it doesn't use compressed air so it'd be quieter than a Screamin' Swing, given its proximity to the Elephants.

Last edited:
There's plenty of on-going discussion about this project here starting from November:

But to summarize:

Also, the news outlets who are reporting the queue building is called a "story building" are misreading the plans and interpreting it as meaning something else. The building has one story/floor/level and is labeled as a "1 story building". I guess they missed the number one or just didn't know what they were looking at and ran with the fact it said "story".

Thanks for the clarification on the "Story building" lol.
I feel like this isn't a screaming swing. The spot by Tigris just seems too perfect to ignore.
Hell what do I know.

But to summarize:

The Screamin Swings are extremely enjoyable...Personally, I wouldn't have put it here...But I'm excited that we're gettting one no less

My biggest question with this is why is land clearing & demolition happening now if this is JUST a Screamin' Swing opening in 2021 - isn't a year out a bit early to start construction for something that small?

SWP&E is not slacking. Too many times new capital comes online late. Plus a year round park can open something at any time. They could have it open early 2021 this way.

My biggest question with this is why is land clearing & demolition happening now if this is JUST a Screamin' Swing opening in 2021 - isn't a year out a bit early to start construction for something that small?
The Rhino Rally plot needs some serious clean up before they get started on the actual ride construction

New paths, refurbing the queue area, foundation work, etc

I have to agree that it seems kind of bizarre that they're doing this a full year prior to anticipated opening if all they're building is a Screamin Swing. For Tigris and Gwazi work didn't really pick up until maybe the September before opening, after the rides had already been announced, and those were relatively big projects. It's also weird that they're using a space that was built for a major E-ticket attraction just to house a flat ride with a capacity of maybe a couple hundred people per hour (barely-educated guess). I'm guessing there won't be any animal exhibits, probably no gift shop, no restaurant, and no restrooms either, so that would be an awful lot of unused (albeit scenic) space leading up to the ride.

With the rumor that SeaWorld is targeting a Christmas 2020 opening for their next coaster, it may be the same thing happening with this. They may have figured out that Christmas is their biggest season with the most potential for making money, so maybe it makes sense to open new attarctions in time for Christmas rather than spring/summer. I'd guess that it may play out better that way with the new attraction helping the spring "shoulder" seasons as well.

I hope the screamscape speculation of a water feature and water returning to Cheetah Hunt is true. It'd be nice to get some solid theming. It'd be nice to see Busch give that more of focus (someone please tell them the entrance is a travesty).