Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Public money to build bridge for Universal guests

Next summer when Cabana Bay is open, and Potter and Transformers are packing in the crowds daily, this argument will look very silly. Chump change.

Yes, they will more than make that back with taxes. It is not uncommon for favors to be made for large venues that would stimulate the local economy and increase taxability.

What kind of economy would the Orlando area have if Disney, Universal, Sea World, and all of the construction, hotel and ancillary companies leave. Not much, I think.

Universal could have paid for that bridge, period. My parents make good money and I'm not able to get financial so why should a billion dollar company be given that money. If anything, the city should have just paid half. That money could have gone to better places in the area. Whats happened to the times where people rather not take money from the government and man up and pay for it themselves. Even if i needed the money, I wouldnt take it.
Even if you had overpaid your taxes for years?

Bridge was just approved by vote of 4-3

From the Orlando Business Journal

Orange County approves Universal bridge in close 4-3 vote

Universal Orlando Resort can’t say getting a $4.5 million bridge built was an easy task, but the theme park business got it done.

Orange County officials voted 4-3 to allow an existing community redevelopment area funding mechanism to help pay about $9 million in infrastructure improvements at Universal Orlando Resort including the pedestrian bridge.

This vote was on the heels of an approval by the City of Orlando to allow Universal to use those funds on the infrastructure work.

Some Orange County officials, including Mayor Teresa Jacobs, were hesitant in carrying the whole tab, but the park insisted that the bridge was necessary in keeping pedestrians and park guests safe from traffic along Hollywood Boulevard.

Universal Parks & Resort Executive Vice President John Sprouls told Orlando Business Journal in a March 11 meeting that the bridge was not only vital for safety, but it could lead to more Universal developments resulting in more tax dollars for local governments.

Also, several tourism experts agreed the bridge could be the catalyst for new development by Universal — besides the 1,800-room Cabana Bay Beach Resort currently under construction — such as a Universal-themed on-site water park. The bridge would connect more than 60 acres of undeveloped Universal-owned land currently zoned for hotel/resort/restaurant use.

In addition, an online fan site expert said the bridge is a much-needed asset to Universal helping the park control the massive traffic it welcomes each year.

Universal seems to have gotten the OK on the backbone piece of infrastructure it needed to open up future growth. Now the park giant just has to make that public tax money count.