Question for current employees..Hours after training/orientation? | Inside Universal Forums

Question for current employees..Hours after training/orientation?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 19, 2016
What are the hours like for recent hires and after training? I was recently hired for wizarding world as a ride operator but I'm worried that they will give me few hours after I am finished with orientation/training. I adjusted my school schedule so that I can have complete availability every day with the exception of one day of the week (Thursday).

I've asked staffing office but I haven't really had a clear answer, so I'm hoping someone with experience can answer.

You my friend are the luckiest of the Ride Ops. You'll have hours for a LONG time. Potter will never be low count for YEARS. Suffice to say you will be having 5 days every day. 

What are the hours like for recent hires and after training? I was recently hired for wizarding world as a ride operator but I'm worried that they will give me few hours after I am finished with orientation/training. I adjusted my school schedule so that I can have complete availability every day with the exception of one day of the week (Thursday).

I've asked staffing office but I haven't really had a clear answer, so I'm hoping someone with experience can answer.
Overall, it depends on crowd flow. Until you climb the ranks and get a regular lead position (which is a full-time job) or higher, your hours are fluid no matter what. This goes for almost every non-seasonal position at USH. The only other factor is your availability, which like you said, is open six days a week. This is good since you'll have a gain on some other ride ops despite seniority. (trust me, they will try anything not to have you work more than six days in a work week since the OT is ridiculous)

That's the only objective answer I can give you, but I can tell you a general idea of what to expect. You're starting training presumably before EPN which means there's going to be training groups ahead of you to come. I have to assume that Forbidden Journey and Hippogriff are sharing ride operators so that's a LOT of staff to go around. They will hire and not stop hiring til July. When WWoHP hits EPN and soft openings, they will be working full staffing operation even when it's not necessary. You will be getting five days during this period all the way through to grand opening, since the point is to work all the bugs out. That includes figuring out various staffing measures. Your job during this point is actually something to take to heart because you're going to be the opening team (and I say this in the cheesiest way possible) and creating a legacy for future ride ops to come. An attraction, especially one as immaculately themed as Wizarding World's, finds its footing in various ways at this time.

Once soft openings are over and the ride is open, I really can't say anything more for sure. A lot of people, like the post above, will tell you that you're set for life and will never have to worry. When all is said and done, nothing is for sure beyond that point. USH will be easing out of the spring break season and entering the surprisingly slow period of late April and early May before summer crowds come in, at least that was the norm for the past long while. If things stay normal, you may or may not find your hours slightly cut after a week or two for about a month before things go absolutely insane for a long time. 

Now, if Potter delivers the exact absolutely over-the-top, bonkers, opening-a-5000-space-parking-garage-worthy crowds that it's expected to, not only will you be earning five-days, but several weeks you will find your leads asking you to do 10 to 12 hours, and then you'll find that the 10 hour shifts just suddenly appear on your schedule. Heck, you may even instantly get the opportunity to become a lead within some months of opening. Transformers grew massive crowds its first year and quickly Universal became my second home ("Home 2" was a common phrase) when I worked there its first summer... Potter is hoped to top that. Universal is going to become your life if that is the case.

For now, all we can do is sit and wait for the gates to Hogsmeade to open. But to you, congratulations and I hope you have a great time working at USH.

Last edited by a moderator: