- Apr 26, 2018
Well, that’s was an interesting exercise in assumption and selective censorship. Since I was asked to explain I will.
Here are my core beliefs around this issue:
1) I think it’s pretty clear that 4 cops killed a guy in Minneapolis. All should see jail time, all will likely be lucky to get out alive, and that’s fine with me. I think it’s correct.
2) Too many cops act like this, and it drives me nuts. Has for years. I’m always watching out for more police abuse of power examples and railing against them when I can.
3) not all cops act like this
4) blue lives matter avatar was to support the cops who are good, the hundreds who have been injured, the dozens who have been hospitalized, and the small but tragic handful who have been murdered by protestors in the past week.
5) I fully support the peaceful protestors, all of them, in every city, regardless of ethnicity
6) I fully oppose the violent looters and rioters, all of them, in every city, regardless of ethnicity.
Those 6 positions are not contradictory or mutually exclusive, and should not be controversial. But they are for some reason.
The criticism leveled at the avatar could just as easily be directed at the black boxes as well.
To be honest, I was hoping to START conversation, not shut it down, when I decided to post my current event-relevant avatar.
This issue, and people’s views, are multi-faceted.
I’d prefer if we are to keep politics out of it, we keep politics out of it- consistently. But while being accused of “shutting conversation down,” I do find it ironic that only MY political self-expression was deleted. It’s an interesting contradiction.