Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

Last time I think I remember it working was on May 17th. Has been in B-mode every time I've ridden since the 24th at the very least.
Yikes. Good thing they spent 7 months refurbishing the ride and then another 6 months of "technical rehearsal" only for show quality to somehow be worse after opening with fewer effects (physical scarabs), no weapons on the mummy props, no-show animatronics, and bad lighting. I know people are going to say it was a "brain transplant" refurb but that's not a sufficient excuse for bad show happening this quickly after such a lengthy closure and "testing".

Is it possible Imhotep is over by the MIB tent getting genuinely refurbished or is it just more duct tape?

Yikes. Good thing they spent 7 months refurbishing the ride and then another 6 months of "technical rehearsal" only for show quality to somehow be worse after opening with fewer effects (physical scarabs), no weapons on the mummy props, no-show animatronics, and bad lighting. I know people are going to say it was a "brain transplant" refurb but that's not a sufficient excuse for bad show happening this quickly after such a lengthy closure and "testing".

Is it possible Imhotep is over by the MIB tent getting genuinely refurbished or is it just more duct tape?

Give Universal a break! At least they didn't add an unthemed chainlink fence in front of the animatronic like River Adventure!

Unfortunately, like the Yeti, Imotep is a complex animatronic involving a lot of motion.

There is a reason that recent animatronics are like the goblins is Gringott's, (an homage to an opening day MK attraction, The Hall Of Presidents.) Even the awesome Kong animatronic isn't in beast mode. Which plays into Kong's pensive nature.

I think animatronics like Yeti, Imotep, and such are a dieing breed at Universal parks. They are stupid expensive, a maintenance nightmare, and really don't add that much to the ride experience. Even at his best, Imotep always looked like a robot on a stick.

That said, has everyone seen the new Elsa animatronic in HK? Amazing! Dibs on how long before we see a TikTok video of her having a seizure with hydraulic fluid leaking from her eyes?

Last edited:
“Don’t add that much to the ride expeience”

The one time I saw the working Yeti begs to differ. My gut instinct was to sink as low as I could into the seat because of how convincing it was that he would actually get me. No screen could compare.

jump-to-conclusion-think-again.gif

One person with two data points.

Rode River Adventure on Saturday. For what it’s worth, the fence has now been themed. Covered in fake plants.

Which is worrisome, cause I suppose that means it’ll be there awhile.

Yup - but they left it as a chainlink fence for a week after it reopened from its refurb.

I know it's one animatronic, but it's literally the focal point of an entire scene.

The Jungle Cruise doesn’t have any AAs :p
I don't believe the "audio" part of "audio-animatronics" applies anymore, either, yet we still call them AAs.

I thought it was commonly-accepted shorthand for any figure with movement.

To me, world-class theming, that can but not necessarily contain animatronics is what puts theme parks into a specific category of amusement parks.
Hence my usage of the phrase "are among the things that..."

Things like the Kongs in Kongfrontation, the dinosuars in Universe of Energy, the Pirates in Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. are all part of what made me a theme park fan.

Rode River Adventure on Saturday. For what it’s worth, the fence has now been themed. Covered in fake plants.

Which is worrisome, cause I suppose that means it’ll be there awhile.
That's not great!

I don't believe the "audio" part of "audio-animatronics" applies anymore, either, yet we still call them AAs
But the things on the JC are more antiquated than the original AAs. They're just pneumatic air animated figures. They're really nothing special you can't find at countless other parks. They're just inside a well designed attraction with a classic script.

In theme park discussions? Really?

When somebody in 2023 talks about wanting the AAs on River Adventure refreshed, for example, I know what they're talking about even if the figures aren't technically audio-animatronics.

It's a catch-all term that's generally accepted - but in all reality... it's not right.

Sorta like "Not all plastic containers are Tupperware but we all call it that anyway..." kinda deal. :lol:

In theme park discussions? Really?

When somebody in 2023 talks about wanting the AAs on River Adventure refreshed, for example, I know what they're talking about even if the figures aren't technically audio-animatronics.

Under your definition the spinning stars and rocking fishing in Little Mermaid are AAs. Simple figures are not the same as AAs. AAs are defined by shoe programming and are way more complex.

For someone who obsessed about AAs and screens it’s odd to see you not understand it at all.

Under your definition the spinning stars and rocking fishing in Little Mermaid are AAs. Simple figures are not the same as AAs. AAs are defined by shoe programming and are way more complex.
I spoke up in general defense of another poster who was met with a very pedantic response intended to brush aside the larger point that was being made.

I didn't think it was good to "Well, actually..." somebody when it was very clear what their intention was.

For someone who obsessed about AAs and screens it’s odd to see you not understand it at all.
This is very unnecessary.