Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rhino Rally Expansion

Read an interesting rumor on Orlando Parks News: http://orlandoparksnews.blogspot.com/2011/06/new-route-for-busch-gardens-rhino-rally.html#more

I certainly hope they expand the course. Best option I think is to build a bridge over the train track. But, of course, this could just be a fake rumor made up by the jeep driver.

Eh... The ride IMO should just be scrapped and use the area as a new "edge of Africa" style of attraction then level EOA and create something new there.

I certainly hope they expand the course. Best option I think is to build a bridge over the train track. But, of course, this could just be a fake rumor made up by the jeep driver.

Yeah, I sure hope that Rhino Rally's jeep drivers don't get the same "fame" WDW's bus drivers are known for!
When the driver was saying this, he seemed very serious, though, and very apologetic, so it seems like many people are considering this shorter version of Rhino Rally a huge letdown.
They've to do something, quick.

Yeah, I sure hope that Rhino Rally's jeep drivers don't get the same "fame" WDW's bus drivers are known for!
When the driver was saying this, he seemed very serious, though, and very apologetic, so it seems like many people are considering this shorter version of Rhino Rally a huge letdown.

Well RR has never been the same after they scrapped the water wash away bridge portion, which I liked, and the plan has been to refurb it once CH was done.

But I like HTFs idea and make it a up close encounter.

Trust me, I know the letdown. I was there one of the first days they took it away, with my parents (who were there for the first time)... I was very disappointed that they didn't get to do the coolest part of the ride lol... Hopefully something happens soon...

Well RR has never been the same after they scrapped the water wash away bridge portion, which I liked, and the plan has been to refurb it once CH was done.

But I like HTFs idea and make it a up close encounter.

Yeah the ride was never the same after the rover flipped and the river portion was drastically reduced in speed. As far as making the area a close up encounter I say that because IMO Busch does a far better job of up close animal encounters than Disney does and Disneys safari ride blows Rhino Rally out of the water. And lets face it the EOA at BGT isn't up to par nowadays.

Yeah the ride was never the same after the rover flipped and the river portion was drastically reduced in speed. As far as making the area a close up encounter I say that because IMO Busch does a far better job of up close animal encounters than Disney does and Disneys safari ride blows Rhino Rally out of the water. And lets face it the EOA at BGT isn't up to par nowadays.

Yes it does pale in comparison to the newer enclosures.

I never rode Rhino Rally before the accident, but I find it totally lame now that the water part is gone. Maybe people don't notice if they've never been on it before, but now it's like "eh." Never even has a line anymore. They need to so SOMETHING...I don't know what, but anything is better than the sad, castrated version they're running now.

I never rode Rhino Rally before the accident, but I find it totally lame now that the water part is gone. Maybe people don't notice if they've never been on it before, but now it's like "eh." Never even has a line anymore. They need to so SOMETHING...I don't know what, but anything is better than the sad, castrated version they're running now.

The water portion made the ride. If they really want to plus this ride they need to expand it and add some uniqueness to it again, like it had with the wash out effect.

Rhino Rally before the accident was a great ride. But it only lasted a month before this.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

Theme park ride closed after accident
Associated Press
Posted June 27, 2001, 8:18 AM EDT

TAMPA -- The Rhino Rally exhibit at Busch Gardens was closed after a truck tipped over, causing passengers to fall out into the wild animal habitats.

The custom-built Land Rover fell over onto its right side at about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, as it was leaving the rhinoceros habitat and entering the crocodile habitat, said Gerard Hoeppner, spokesman for Busch Gardens.

The 16 passengers got out of the truck while the driver called for help, Hoeppner said.

Two rhinoceroses were grazing in the field, but the passengers were in no danger of animal attack, Hoeppner said. Handlers called out to the rhinos, which headed for their night quarters, ignoring the overturned vehicle, he said.

Saul Soto, 23, of Orlando, and Deidre Shellman, 16, of Tampa, were treated for minor injuries at University Community Hospital, officials said. Both were expected to be released Tuesday night, they said.

The other 14 passengers were unharmed during the accident, officials said.

The ride, which has been open for a month, will remain closed until authorities determine why the Land Rover tipped over, Hoeppner said.

Rhino Rally was inspected shortly before it opened by in-house engineers, who said the ride was safe, Hoeppner said. An independent firm also inspected the exhibit, he said.
Copyright © 2001, The Associated Press

The entire ride was changed and even the speed of water channel and how fast the current took you away changed. It went from a mild thrillride to boring jeep ride. Very sad.

From Screamscape:
The latest word from insiders is that the planning is still in progress to expand Rhino Rally. There may be some conflicts between what the Operations side wants to do with the attraction VS what the Animal Care staff want to see happen with the animal habitats, but those kinds of issues are usually normal. The expansion will obviously not be ready by this August, but as previously rumored, the park is also looking into switching out the current Land Rover fleet for some new vehicles as well, and are currently said to be looking at least four different bids.

Rhino Rally before the accident was a great ride. But it only lasted a month before this.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

Theme park ride closed after accident
Associated Press
Posted June 27, 2001, 8:18 AM EDT

TAMPA -- The Rhino Rally exhibit at Busch Gardens was closed after a truck tipped over, causing passengers to fall out into the wild animal habitats.

The custom-built Land Rover fell over onto its right side at about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, as it was leaving the rhinoceros habitat and entering the crocodile habitat, said Gerard Hoeppner, spokesman for Busch Gardens.

The 16 passengers got out of the truck while the driver called for help, Hoeppner said.

Two rhinoceroses were grazing in the field, but the passengers were in no danger of animal attack, Hoeppner said. Handlers called out to the rhinos, which headed for their night quarters, ignoring the overturned vehicle, he said.

Saul Soto, 23, of Orlando, and Deidre Shellman, 16, of Tampa, were treated for minor injuries at University Community Hospital, officials said. Both were expected to be released Tuesday night, they said.

The other 14 passengers were unharmed during the accident, officials said.

The ride, which has been open for a month, will remain closed until authorities determine why the Land Rover tipped over, Hoeppner said.

Rhino Rally was inspected shortly before it opened by in-house engineers, who said the ride was safe, Hoeppner said. An independent firm also inspected the exhibit, he said.
Copyright © 2001, The Associated Press

The entire ride was changed and even the speed of water channel and how fast the current took you away changed. It went from a mild thrillride to boring jeep ride. Very sad.

WOW! I had no idea about that! I've obviously only ever been on it after that accident. I never knew it was supposed to be faster, I loved it the way it was, can't imagine how much better it would have been if the accident hadn't happened.

Either way, the water portion was the biggest reason to ride the ride. It was fun, it got some people wet (which is wonderful in the summer), and it added a thrill to the ride that it lacks now... They need to do something about it, honestly.

I just got back from BG. They need an expansion, the ride is a joke. The train ride was actually better and I waited 5 min, unlike the the 40 min that I waited to ride Rhino Rally. They have to fix that asap.

Didn't think this needed a new thread since it may be associated with this anyway.

From Screamscape-BGT-RhinoRally :

(9/17/12) Interesting developments are taking place at Busch Gardens it seems, regarding the future of Rhino Rally. Though it was never listed on the official attraction’s rehab page on the park’s website, Rhino Rally closed down and was walled off earlier this month. The attraction is now no longer listed anywhere on the Busch Gardens website, and they’ve even gone so far as to remove it from the online park map, as well as the newest maps in the park.
Previously we did have a long standing rumor that a “fix” or major upgrade was planned for Rhino Rally that would include new features to make it more exciting again, new storyline as well as a fleet of new trucks.
A reader upon seeing the walled off attraction did quiz a nearby crew member who stated that it was down for refurbishment and was supposed to reopen in late December. However when this same reader stopped into Guest Services on the way out to dig for more information, they were told an entirely different story. Guest Services told them that Rhino Rally was closed “indefinitely”, with the possibility that it MAY reopen for the busy Holiday season. So in Florida park speak… it almost seems like Rhino Rally may have been changes into a ‘Seasonal Only’ attraction… one that is only open during the most busy periods of the year… typically Spring Break, the most busy Summer weeks, and for the Christmas holiday run.
I’ve reached out to the park to try and find out more about the ride’s current status.

I heard on another site (Theme Park Review, I think) as well that the ride was closed recently and walled off. Anyone know more than that? I know the ride is not what it once was before. I'm hoping they are just revamping it to a longer/more interesting experience. I like to get on it for getting close to some of the animals if nothing else, so I'd hate to see it go for good.

Damn, I was going to give it another shot the next time I was there, not that it was anything after they ended the break away.
Seasonal? If thats the case close it and make it walkthrough or something since thats the only way to see the Rhinos any more.

Seeing the animals was quite good but what really made this ride enjoyable when I went on was the funny driver that we got. She made some funny comments about my dads video recording.

The fuel they probably used is expensive... nuff said. I wouldn't be surprised to see it mothballed for seasonal status for a while till they make the final call.