(Rumor) New Potter Attraction to Replace Fear Factor Live? | Page 71 | Inside Universal Forums

(Rumor) New Potter Attraction to Replace Fear Factor Live?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Another poster brought it up, but I have a feeling that we’re going to get a Flight of Passage level attraction here, but with the screen on your face. At least that what I’m expecting and hoping for!

Reactions: Universal 4 Life
Another poster brought it up, but I have a feeling that we’re going to get a Flight of Passage level attraction here, but with the screen on your face. At least that what I’m expecting and hoping for!

Quality wise, this is going to be Universal on their A game because Potter is involved and the external quality control that comes with it.

My only concern is capacity but I think they’ll easily manage to figure it out, they have to.

My biggest worry is motion sickness, not only is this going to make FJ seem like the carousel but there’s data out there that shows women are more prone to the motion sickness inherent in vr then men.
The 5 years of patents and technology testing to change the way VR uses a different center of gravity, and watches where your eyes are, should HOPEFULLY help. I believe they believe they’ve developed new methods to reduce the mind/body disconnect that can cause the worst motion sickness.

That said, it’s still a screen strapped to your face while on a motion platform, so I can’t imagine there won’t be some motion sickness no matter what miracles they whip up.

Curious to see how it goes. (Can’t be any worse than the short-lived coaster VRs, yeesh.)

Last edited:
My biggest worry is motion sickness, not only is this going to make FJ seem like the carousel but there’s data out there that shows women are more prone to the motion sickness inherent in vr then men.

The 5 years of patents and technology testing to change the way VR uses a different center of gravity, and watches where you’re eyes are, should HOPEFULLY help. I believe they believe they’ve developed new methods to reduce the mind/body disconnect that can cause the worst motion sickness.

That said, it’s still a screen strapped to your face while on a motion platform, so I can’t imagine there won’t be some motion sickness no matter what miracles they whip up.

Curious to see how it goes. (Can’t be any worse than the short-lived coaster VRs, yeesh.)

I'm an unfortunate member of team motion sickness (highly woozy, never all the way sick), and Wizards in Flight got me pretty good. I sat down for a few minutes after to breathe and reset. That said, the graphics weren't the best, and they had us circle Hogwarts five times (I counted) before we actually got underway and started flying forward. They did have fans going during the experience for wind effects, but not strong AC post-experience which usually helps me.

For reference, I have to be in a great mood to go on Transformers and Spiderman and deal with the after-woozies, but I force myself to go on Forbidden Journey because I love it so much. I've never been on The Simpsons because I've heard horror stories and don't want to wreck my day. I also feel slightly icky after the backwards motion on Everest (not Hagrid's, which is weird but I'll take it since it's a fantastic ride).

The motion sickness in VR in my experience is overblown. I would not expect with a well tracked high quality VR headset that people would more likely to get sick vs other motion simulators. It might be slightly less people since a ride like forbidden journey is tracked with the ride vehicle and this will be tacked to the position of the person.

I would love to know what headset they are using. Hopefully they spend the enough money on one with dual 4k screens or similar total resolution and eye tracking. They are going to need 200 stations on this for capacity to be good. That's a lot of high end hardware and a lot of maintinence. Given universals track record on capacity I expect this to not be a problem.

Reactions: natespf
Slightly off topic, but the VR episode was one of the very best episodes South Park has done over the last decade. Felt like a mid-2000s (their golden age IMO) episode.

Anyway, interactive rides seem to be a massive wedge between the "GP" and the "fan community." Wonder why that is.

In an ironic twist of fate, I've never been on any simulator/screen ride that could make me motion sick. Not even the ulta-notorious Body Wars; I could ride that all day and come off just fine.

On the other hand, put me upside down on a coaster and the rest of my day will be an almost literal nightmare due to vertigo. Hence why I can't ride those attractions.

Anyway, interactive rides seem to be a massive wedge between the "GP" and the "fan community." Wonder why that is.

In what way do you mean? To generalize very broadly, I think interactivity on a ride is overrated, but I've assumed I'm part of a small minority in the theme park fan community.

In an ironic twist of fate, I've never been on any simulator/screen ride that could make me motion sick. Not even the ulta-notorious Body Wars; I could ride that all day and come off just fine.

On the other hand, put me upside down on a coaster and the rest of my day will be an almost literal nightmare due to vertigo. Hence why I can't ride those attractions.

In what way do you mean? To generalize very broadly, I think interactivity on a ride is overrated, but I've assumed I'm part of a small minority in the theme park fan community.

I mean, interactive rides seem to be well-liked by the "GP" and disliked among the "fans."

Oh and curious, can you do coasters with no inversions but with lots of airtime?

I mean, interactive rides seem to be well-liked by the "GP" and disliked among the "fans."

I'm not sure I agree, but maybe you're right!

Oh and curious, can you do coasters with no inversions but with lots of airtime?

Generally, yes. Big drops and the like don't upset me.

And I'm completely fine for the "on your back" moments in things like Forbidden Journey and Hagrid's. It's the full flip/rotation/inversion that affects what is apparently an extremely sensitive inner ear.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I'm not sure I agree, but maybe you're right!

Generally, yes. Big drops and the like don't upset me.

And I'm completely fine for the "on your back" moments in things like Forbidden Journey and Hagrid's. It's the full flip/rotation/inversion that affects what is apparently an extremely sensitive inner ear.

I know people for whom its the exact opposite so interesting how that works.

Reactions: belloq87
I know people for whom its the exact opposite so interesting how that works.
people are complicated but the point is to mimic a ride as much as you can to real natural motion. This is why accurate vr tacking is so important. If people get motion sick in real life situations they are going to get sick on even the best attractions that simulate them.

people are complicated but the point is to mimic a ride as much as you can to real natural motion. This is why accurate vr tacking is so important. If people get motion sick in real life situations they are going to get sick on even the best attractions that simulate them.

I should've clarified I was talking about roller coasters. There are some people who can take inversions but not massive drops/airtime, and vice versa.

I wonder how much work they will put into the surrounding area if they decide to expand London. Something the Wizarding World has always needed is a proper counter service restaurant serving small bites like fish & chips or somethin simple to eat.

Yeah I would like to see where the cutoff is for London. I would assume right before the MIB/HHN tent area.

Reactions: Coolbfitz