Seasonal Overlays at Universal? | Inside Universal Forums

Seasonal Overlays at Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 22, 2020
Sorry if this thread is unnecessary but why hasn’t Universal ever done a seasonal overlay? The only thing I can think of is kong getting a Santa hat.

My guess would be that seasonal overlays don’t push as much traffic to the parks relative to the effort.

Haunted Mansion Holiday takes a couple weeks of downtime each for both setup+tear down.

They could easily do one for Fallon. Have the Ragtime Gals do pop carols. Switch out the film to a Christmas version where he crashes into the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Plaza and slides across the skating ring in Central Park and so on.

With proper prep they would be able to turn it around very quickly.

They could easily do one for Fallon. Have the Ragtime Gals do pop carols. Switch out the film to a Christmas version where he crashes into the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Plaza and slides across the skating ring in Central Park and so on.

With proper prep they would be able to turn it around very quickly.
Oh my god. I love this, and would make me love Fallon more hahaha. Universal should’ve listened to you on this one, especially since the Rockefeller Center Tree is so famous and iconic. Hopefully in the future if Fallon isn’t going anywhere

I've wondered why they haven't done that in recent years.
They used to do Halloween versions of JAWS, I was little so I don't remember a ton

My thought is, of course, money

Second, I think they've been pretty intentional about upping their Christmas game

Still...A Halloween overaly of Simpsons, and a Christmas version of Cat In The Hat have always been in my "would be cool" bucket

They could do "Shrek the Halls"

21575299142.jpg

Approvals, time, money, etc.

Plus they don't want to shut down or alter rides for something that only locals or super fans would appreciate.

Approvals, time, money, etc.

Plus they don't want to shut down or alter rides for something that only locals or super fans would appreciate.
A Fallon overlay would be something that would change overnight though.

They don't care enough to put in the effort. Always been a peeve, especially with just how many screen attractions are at USF and nothing ever done to keep things fresh.

A Fallon overlay would be something that would change overnight though.

Comes back to writing and approvals. The Tonight Show actually did a lot with UC on the attraction so they'd need to be folded into creating it, too. Same reason why The Simpsons haven't had any overlays either. In addition, it also comes back around to having different versions of the ride for infrequent guests.

They don't care enough to put in the effort.

Not like they debuted a new parade, two new Potter shows, Holiday Lights at Hogwarts, and updated Grinchmas in the past three years. Nah, they're just lazy.

Reactions: Grabnar
Comes back to writing and approvals. The Tonight Show actually did a lot with UC on the attraction so they'd need to be folded into creating it, too. Same reason why The Simpsons haven't had any overlays either. In addition, it also comes back around to having different versions of the ride for infrequent guests.
Fallon is a bit different situation than Simpsons though since The Tonight Show is a part of Comcast whereas Simpsons is third-party. Not saying it would be easy, but it would be easier.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Fallon is a bit different situation than Simpsons though since The Tonight Show is a part of Comcast whereas Simpsons is third-party. Not saying it would be easy, but it would be easier.
I always wondered why Universal hasn't embraced a Star Tours type thing where the film is different each time