Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023)

The goal was B&M showcases something new and SeaWorld has another unique attraction in the crowded Orlando market that makes it distinctive from other parks and continues its transformation from “animal park” to thrill/theme park. Not a “disaster” by any stretch except if you expected something other than what it obviously is.

I’m seeing the same kinds of things about Darkoaster at BGW and I just keep thinking fans/enthusiasts set expectations too high for what these rides were obviously going to be.
You're right... all SW really cares is that it's something unique that looks good on a billboard and gets people to spend a day there. But I also think they're are approaching a slippery slope where they're prioritizing having *something* every year instead of something great. Going from three to six coasters in a few years (I'm counting the Antarctica coaster but excluding Super Grover) doesn't really turn it into a thrill park when the three additions are just kind of meh (assuming the Antarctica coaster is family/straddle like DarKoaster/etc. - full disclosure I have no idea).

I just hope they aren't burning up useful real estate to build average coasters and not be able to build something Mako/Kraken caliber again.

At this point the market for SeaWorld is the locals above all. Honestly as long as they have better coasters than Fun Spot they'll keep the locals coming back. And, any park with FOUR B&Ms has a pretty impressive lineup of solid coasters even if they aren't all "top tier". Mako, Manta, and Kraken are all excellent rides and some of B&Ms best work.

This was never meant to compete against Gwazi/Mako in the thrilling space. It's unique and fun, with the only major negative being it's short layout.

I don't know why we're calling the Antarctica rescue/jet-ski coaster a mistake, it's something that should have been built at SWO a long time ago.

I was able to ride this last week. I found it to be a fun coaster (I like it waaayyy better than Ice Breaker where once was enough for me).

My daughter has a large chest and I am not exactly thin in any way -- neither of us had any issues w/ the restraints.

This was my first Surf coaster. I was not expecting the way they create air time, certainly a unique feeling. Ther is a lot of airtime and it is what makes this ride fun (IMHO).

This was my first Surf coaster. I was not expecting the way they create air time, certainly a unique feeling. Ther is a lot of airtime and it is what makes this ride fun (IMHO).
I mean, technically, isn't this everyone's first Surf coaster? :)

I did not enjoy B&M's previous stand-up coasters due to the bicycle seat and it's tendency to slam said seat upwards. Hopefully this new iteration is a little less painful to the junk?

I mean, technically, isn't this everyone's first Surf coaster? :)

I did not enjoy B&M's previous stand-up coasters due to the bicycle seat and it's tendency to slam said seat upwards. Hopefully this new iteration is a little less painful to the junk?

When I tried the test seat, I thought that was going to be an issue. Somehow, it was not for me, I believe I was standing in such a way that the 'seat' did not hot me there -- I've never been on another stand up coaster, so nothing to compare to but the 'seat' does push one up so it is very possible this ride could be painful.

Looking at the reverse POV @Alicia has, your milage might vary on this one. The seats are designed move quite a bit (moreso than your usual standup) during the ride, so it might cause some uncomfortable landings which her ride partner was quite vocal about.

Rode it this evening. It's decent--the sensation of being knocked off your feet several times is unique, but it's not something I'd wait more than 30 minutes for. I'm *guessing* this will be a hit with crowds.

Just went on this yesterday for the first time, the old Port of Call area looks really wonderful now with the different water pools and palm trees, and the coaster itself is very pretty imo. It's also personally now my favorite one in the park. The airtime is great and it feels like a "Less Thrill, More Fun" version of Mako in that way, which is bumped to my #2. I wore jeans though, which bunched up quite a bit in the seat and resulted in a less than comfortable ride overall haha. Probably sweatpants would work best for something like this. I think it's pretty re-rideable too, with how you kinda get to choose how to stand or jump with the seat. Very nice addition, and a really cool visual for the front of the park!

Just went on this yesterday for the first time, the old Port of Call area looks really wonderful now with the different water pools and palm trees, and the coaster itself is very pretty imo. It's also personally now my favorite one in the park. The airtime is great and it feels like a "Less Thrill, More Fun" version of Mako in that way, which is bumped to my #2. I wore jeans though, which bunched up quite a bit in the seat and resulted in a less than comfortable ride overall haha. Probably sweatpants would work best for something like this. I think it's pretty re-rideable too, with how you kinda get to choose how to stand or jump with the seat. Very nice addition, and a really cool visual for the front of the park!
Mako is still my favorite, but I agree this is a good coaster. I would put it at #2. I think I need to ride it more. Because my son is not tall enough I don't always ride it when my kids do and because of where it is and our normal pattern we don't always make it over that way. But my middle daughter always loves it and she asks for, but Mako is still her favorite.

But I do agree I like how they did that area and themed it. It fits well.

The aesthetics are great (surprised it took this long for SW to get into the surf theme), but not a fan of the lack of a berm/buffer with trees between the parking lot and Pipeline, I hope that's part of an eventual redo of the park entrance.