SeaWorld Entertainment Corporate News (Old Leadership Thread) | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld Entertainment Corporate News (Old Leadership Thread)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sea World is great for cheap....the issue is slow loading on many rides, many times rides not ready to go when the park opens and at least a SD the animal shows are kinda just the same thing they always have been for like 10 years.
What gets me to go to Sea World is the cheap price and events but even then....i have no want to go during the Halloween event because you have to leave the park and they have bag restrictions

me, reading the headline: Well, they certainly can't blame the weather again, right?

narrator: they can
I laugh every time it gets brought up. When Iger's lame excuse for a dead WDW fourth of July, and a dead summer was 'the weather was too hot' in 'tropical' Florida, everyone in the theme park industry has been using that excuse whenever revenue doesn't meet expectations, everywhere, not just Florida. Sorry, but these nitwit CEO's must think everyone is stupid. And here again, that was the excuse from SeaWorld execs. I think every major theme park company used that excuse in the past eight months.

me, reading the headline: Well, they certainly can't blame the weather again, right?

narrator: they can
Any excuse that doesn't blame management's poor decision.

There are a lot of fixes SeaWorld could do, they just don't want to take the short-term hits.
  • They have way too many restaurants open due to the all-day dining deal, basically requiring them to spread out staffing throughout and slowing down service, let alone price and quality issues)
  • The surcharge fee should have been a temporary thing, they ruined lots of goodwill with that
  • Maintenance (they're getting to it finally)
  • Pricing in general (who the heck is buying an $85 polo with the SeaWorld logo)

i have no want to go during the Halloween event because you have to leave the park and they have bag restrictions
USH used to make you leave & re-enter, until they got enough backlash for it.

And EVERY haunt event has bag restrictions on some level, Knott's being the worst offender.

Eitherway, not good enough excuses to skip Howl-O-Scream San Diego

*gasp* they DO have a good event though, also keep in mind it's only been 3 years. It's still learning/growing. Besides, SWO keeps getting all the budget & focus due to its neighbor down the street lol
I mean, I understand this is subjective but their event is quite terrible. I don't care if they're still "learning" or "growing" — it's not one I want to revisit any time soon.

I mean, I understand this is subjective but their event is quite terrible. I don't care if they're still "learning" or "growing" — it's not one I want to revisit any time soon.
I have to agree on this, having attended two out of the three years of the event's existence. Even in its third year it was just nowhere close to the level of quality that HOS Orlando was in its first year, or for that matter the quality level of any other HOS location. The same can be said about the Christmas event; SD clearly just isn't getting nearly the same budget as the other parks, which is bizarre since San Diego is a major tourist destination and in a more populous region than any other park in the chain.

More broadly, I think these numbers are a reflection of guests being turned off from PRKS by the consistent drop in quality coupled with increases in pricing, especially the deceptive ways the company has implemented those pricing increases. It's now more expensive to visit SW or BG than it is to visit Disney or Universal, and the few people who still choose to spend their money here anyway end up being punished for it in the park with further junk fees, high prices, and sub-par experiences that can't hold a candle to that same park a decade prior, let alone other parks in the area. Not surprisingly, guests feel ripped off, stop coming back, and voice their dissatisfaction on the internet and with everyone they know.
The fact that many of the parks now only cater to local teenagers and young adults who like roller coasters is another major turn-off for would've-been guests. The one shred of truth behind the "weather" excuse is that, indeed, all but one of the US parks have now been stripped of any weather-proof rides, and whereas pass holders may have previously come to the park on a cold, hot, or rainy day knowing they could at least ride something indoors, now they just don't bother coming at all. But PRKS (or rather Hill Path Capital/Scott Ross) seemingly has no interest in addressing that. Instead, their solution is most likely going to be further cost cutting and price gouging, which might scrape up a few extra dollars in the next quarterly report but will ultimately exacerbate this cycle of self-sabotage that is starting to catch up with them.
If I were in charge, the changes I'd be making to restore goodwill and public interest are:
  • Replace junk fees with visible price increases on online and in-park purchases (the SD parks will likely be forced to do this anyway starting in July)
  • Plan at least one indoor, non-roller coaster ride for every park that doesn't already have one
  • Bring back quality themed entertainment with at least one permanent theatrical show, one street performance, and one parade at every park
  • Increase staffing at gates, rides, and restaurants on anticipated busy days
  • Replace the menu at every restaurant that has been downgraded to frozen pizza/chicken nuggets/burgers
  • Bring back storage cubbies or make lockers free for every ride that doesn't allow loose articles
  • No late open or early closure of major rides (other than for safety reasons) during peak seasons
  • Stop building roller coasters at parks that already have too many and invest in broad-appeal experiences with an emphasis on unique storytelling and placemaking

Reactions: Jake S and Mad Dog