Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeaWorld Entertainment Corporate News (Old Leadership Thread)

I'd rather Universal focus on the three parks they have. I don't want a WDW situation where they're stretched across too many parks, trying to balance their budget while providing new experiences for each of them. Maybe buy the land as space for hotels and the coasters, then decide at a later date (way after EU has opened) whether the resort can handle a fourth park without cannibalizing guests from the other three.
I agree, but Universal doesn’t have the expansion land that Disney has. There’s only so much they can do with their current parks, but luckily EU will be built from the ground up.

While this obviously isn’t the end all he all, if by 2030 we hypothetically have Kidzone replaces, Simpson’s and MIB replaces, Mummy replaced, and lord, Id hope Shrek too.

At Islands, I’d expect one of Toon Lagoon or Lost Continent to close by 2030.

At that point, there truly isn’t much expansion room past EU. So, maybe this is more of a 2035 type thing but idk a decade after EU opens assuming tourism hasn’t taken a complete nosedive due to Covid then I could see it. Especially if there’s new transportation like a train or monorail in the City

I agree, but Universal doesn’t have the expansion land that Disney has. There’s only so much they can do with their current parks, but luckily EU will be built from the ground up.

While this obviously isn’t the end all he all, if by 2030 we hypothetically have Kidzone replaces, Simpson’s and MIB replaces, Mummy replaced, and lord, Id hope Shrek too.

At Islands, I’d expect one of Toon Lagoon or Lost Continent to close by 2030.

At that point, there truly isn’t much expansion room past EU. So, maybe this is more of a 2035 type thing but idk a decade after EU opens assuming tourism hasn’t taken a complete nosedive due to Covid then I could see it. Especially if there’s new transportation like a train or monorail in the City
Maybe by 2030, Universal won’t be in a position where it feels a need to “expand,” but rather refresh and replace.

The yearly additions can’t, and won’t, last forever. Universal will get to a point, likely in the next 10-15 years, where they feel its prudent to stand pat for a bit.

Maybe by 2030, Universal won’t be in a position where it feels a need to “expand,” but rather refresh and replace.

The yearly additions can’t, and won’t, last forever. Universal will get to a point, likely in the next 10-15 years, where they feel its prudent to stand pat for a bit.
Yep, this is very true as well. I do genuinely believe 3 parks is enough but it’s fun to speculate on the potential expansion.

For me, from what we know and what we’re expecting, I think Epic Universe could easily be looked at as a 2 day park when it opens. A lot of people considering the entire wizarding world a day long experience, we’re getting 4 lands to that level of thematic experience. They also may be more interactive. Universal might truly just have plenty of stuff to do at 3 parks.

I don't agree with the narrative that Sea World isn't going to make it through this
Agreed. They'll definitely be in a rough spot, and *may* see another Blackstone-esque takeover, but I would be shocked for SeaWorld to not reopen as SeaWorld (and stay that way).

I don't agree with the narrative that Sea World isn't going to make it through this
Seaworld, as a company, is in a uniquely unfortunate spot though. While Disney and Universal can turn off millions in expenditures with a small percentage of on-going costs to counter no income, Seaworld has a lot fewer expenditures to cut and a much higher percentage of costs.

They still have to care for the animals. That’s hundreds of thousands of dollars a day they’ve spending. And while Disney has AK, they have much more money to shift (like defunding construction projects). Seaworld’s margins are very small.

If Seaworld has to stay closed for much longer than three months, I think it may see some drastic changes.

Seaworld, as a company, is in a uniquely unfortunate spot though. While Disney and Universal can turn off millions in expenditures with a small percentage of on-going costs to counter no income, Seaworld has a lot fewer expenditures to cut and a much higher percentage of costs.

They still have to care for the animals. That’s hundreds of thousands of dollars a day they’ve spending. And while Disney has AK, they have much more money to shift (like defunding construction projects). Seaworld’s margins are very small.

If Seaworld has to stay closed for much longer than three months, I think it may see some drastic changes.
If I ran it I would just get rid of the orcas, dolphins, and beluga whales. Those seem to be the animals that people take most issue with being in captivity, and I imagine those animals are the most expensive to care for?

I will say that I've only been to the SeaWorld in San Diego once about ten years ago, and me and my sister were quite bored due to the lack of rides (though that may have been different if we were younger). However, I've actually considered making a visit to the one in Orlando with all the new rides they're opening. Honestly, I think the best move would be to re brand as a Busch Gardens, but that's kind of a catch-22 since SeaWorld has more brand recognition, even if all that recognition isn't positive. Again, this is coming from someone who knows very little about SeaWorld Entertainment and their financial position.

If I ran it I would just get rid of the orcas, dolphins, and beluga whales. Those seem to be the animals that people take most issue with being in captivity, and I imagine those animals are the most expensive to care for?

I will say that I've only been to the SeaWorld in San Diego once about ten years ago, and me and my sister were quite bored due to the lack of rides (though that may have been different if we were younger). However, I've actually considered making a visit to the one in Orlando with all the new rides they're opening. Honestly, I think the best move would be to re brand as a Busch Gardens, but that's kind of a catch-22 since SeaWorld has more brand recognition, even if all that recognition isn't positive. Again, this is coming from someone who knows very little about SeaWorld Entertainment and their financial position.
Unfortunately, I think this would lead to a quick death for SeaWorld

The Barnum & Bailey circus is a good example....They got rid of all animals and the circus died immediately

I honestly feel SW is just now starting to see the results of its re-branding....Then the pandemic hit

I have a major issue with their keeping the majority of the animals they have in captivity. I’d like to see them get rid of all of their mammals, their penguins, and most of their sharks. However, I do think there’s a place for Seaworld‘s message, it just requires a new approach. Predominately, I want to see them stop keeping so many animals in captivity and rather bring a true focus to their rehabilitation efforts.

If I were CEO, I’d stop the animal shows. All of them. The tanks, however, would remain. The stadium seating would get replaced with research and rehab buildings where guests can see actual rehabilitation efforts (closer in spirit to Turtle Trek/Manatee rehabilitation), while tanks support the rehabilitation. I’d add three or four more off the shelf thrill rides, one more top-level coaster (wing or dive), and four dark “new” dark rides:

Sesame Street: Big Bird’s Beach Day - Big Bird and his friends go to the beach and learn about the animals that live in tide pools, coral reefs, and along the shoreline.

The Trench - Join Seaworld researchers as the journey down into the Marianas Trench and discover the secrets of the deepest point on earth (dark-thrill ride).

Penguin March - A revamped and expanded Empire of the Penguin, explore Antartica with a penguin family, experiencing the hardships of the harshest place on the planet (includes a blizzard room, elephant seals, orcas, etc).

Pacific Point Research Academy - Help Seaworld doctors save an orca pod in the Pacific Ocean. The thesis ride of the park, I actually imagine this featuring some harsh scenes, including the Pacific gyre, coral bleaching, and an oil spill.

The biggest issue most anti-Seaworld people have is the captivity, holding animals with no intent of releasing and having those animals perform. Get rid of the performance aspect, focus on rehabilitation and release, increase the ride count, and people will come.

I have a major issue with their keeping the majority of the animals they have in captivity. I’d like to see them get rid of all of their mammals, their penguins, and most of their sharks. However, I do think there’s a place for Seaworld‘s message, it just requires a new approach. Predominately, I want to see them stop keeping so many animals in captivity and rather bring a true focus to their rehabilitation efforts.

If I were CEO, I’d stop the animal shows. All of them. The tanks, however, would remain. The stadium seating would get replaced with research and rehab buildings where guests can see actual rehabilitation efforts (closer in spirit to Turtle Trek/Manatee rehabilitation), while tanks support the rehabilitation. I’d add three or four more off the shelf thrill rides, one more top-level coaster (wing or dive), and four dark “new” dark rides:

Sesame Street: Big Bird’s Beach Day - Big Bird and his friends go to the beach and learn about the animals that live in tide pools, coral reefs, and along the shoreline.

The Trench - Join Seaworld researchers as the journey down into the Marianas Trench and discover the secrets of the deepest point on earth (dark-thrill ride).

Penguin March - A revamped and expanded Empire of the Penguin, explore Antarctica with a penguin family, experiencing the hardships of the harshest place on the planet (includes a blizzard room, elephant seals, orcas, etc).

Pacific Point Research Academy - Help Seaworld doctors save an orca pod in the Pacific Ocean. The thesis ride of the park, I actually imagine this featuring some harsh scenes, including the Pacific gyre, coral bleaching, and an oil spill.

The biggest issue most anti-Seaworld people have is the captivity, holding animals with no intent of releasing and having those animals perform. Get rid of the performance aspect, focus on rehabilitation and release, increase the ride count, and people will come.

But what would you suggest they do with the animals? I doubt most of the orcas could survive for long in the wild since most of them were born in captivity. Don't they also have a number of rescued animals that were deemed unfit to be released into the wild? I know they have at least some pilot whales that they inherited this way. I also doubt they could sell them and not get bad publicity for it since most places can't provide the same care that these animals currently have at SeaWorld. They could go the sea pen route but that will be a big drain on SeaWorld's future resources.

I do like your idea about focusing on rehabilitation but they will still need tanks to permanently hold any animal that is rescued and deemed unfit to be released into the wild. Instead of getting rid of their animals I think they would be better off bringing back the Blue World Project and providing the orcas with the largest habitats that they can provide. If this is successful I would then like them to do a 2nd phase that would do the same thing for the dolphins and other whales. I see both of these things a necessary since I think the animals are the main draw for tourists since they are the 1 thing that neither Disney or Universal have. They should stop with the shows and allow the trainers to interact with the guests by teaching them about the animals and answering any questions the guest may have.

The animal situation at SeaWorld is like a dead-end street... they hit a point where they shouldn’t keep going forward with performance shows and captivity, but the turnaround alternatives - sending the animals elsewhere or releasing them into the wild - are arguably worse. Being the “best” in a bad market is a rough spot to be in.

There’s no shortage of places who *would* take the animals, but the chance for mistreatment is high.

What‘s really disappointing about the perpetual board interference is that it seems like SeaWorld at least in the last 12 months had its act a little more together.

I think the 'Orca Encounter' route is a good middle ground for now

As they build up more coasters and thrill rides they could slowly phase out the animals

Not having animals would also cut a huge expenditure tbh

But what would you suggest they do with the animals? I doubt most of the orcas could survive for long in the wild since most of them were born in captivity. Don't they also have a number of rescued animals that were deemed unfit to be released into the wild? I know they have at least some pilot whales that they inherited this way. I also doubt they could sell them and not get bad publicity for it since most places can't provide the same care that these animals currently have at SeaWorld. They could go the sea pen route but that will be a big drain on SeaWorld's future resources.

I do like your idea about focusing on rehabilitation but they will still need tanks to permanently hold any animal that is rescued and deemed unfit to be released into the wild. Instead of getting rid of their animals I think they would be better off bringing back the Blue World Project and providing the orcas with the largest habitats that they can provide. If this is successful I would then like them to do a 2nd phase that would do the same thing for the dolphins and other whales. I see both of these things a necessary since I think the animals are the main draw for tourists since they are the 1 thing that neither Disney or Universal have. They should stop with the shows and allow the trainers to interact with the guests by teaching them about the animals and answering any questions the guest may have.
For the time being, I’d leave the animals where they are. Especially the orcas. The marine mammals are past the point of release, so they can/should remain. Only no more animal shows. The trainers shift to liaisons between the biologist and guests. As the animals die, they bring in whatever needs recuperating. This actually encourages repeat guests, because the types of animals varies from time to time.

I would love to see bigger tanks, especially for the larger cetaceans. Seaworld isn’t in a position to achieve that, though.

For the time being, I’d leave the animals where they are. Especially the orcas. The marine mammals are past the point of release, so they can/should remain. Only no more animal shows. The trainers shift to liaisons between the biologist and guests. As the animals die, they bring in whatever needs recuperating. This actually encourages repeat guests, because the types of animals varies from time to time.

I would love to see bigger tanks, especially for the larger cetaceans. Seaworld isn’t in a position to achieve that, though.
Yeah, the Blue World project or whatever would have been great, but $$$ haha

Yeah, that's likely what it is - and I know it was mentioned in the article that construction liens are a common occurrence and that payments will be delayed during this situation - but to illustrate that point further, below is a sampling of the liens filed against Disney (48 total) and Universal (15 total) in the last year - so I wouldn't panic about this just yet.

2xpawtU.png

lKpchPa.png

Contractor hasn't been paid for work at Aquatica: Liens filed against SeaWorld over unpaid construction bills

SeaWorld is saying that it's an error, although I heard a similar story for BGW's contractor complaining about not getting paid. Of course it may be the same department/person who pays all the contractors.
This happened during Antarctica construction as well....SeaWorld is literally the worst with paying bills...I'm surprised their Internet doesn't go out frequently