Shazam: Fury of the Gods | Inside Universal Forums

Shazam: Fury of the Gods

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That's a very 90s grimdark title to follow up a goofy action flick about superhero kids. (Coming from someone who unabashedly loved the first one.)

This is a huge gift to Avatar 2. Aquaman 2 stood a good chance at being able to withstand going up against Avatar, but with Shazam! doing less than $400M worldwide for its first movie, I doubt it will prove to be much of a serious threat to Avatar 2. They're basically counting on people having seen Black Adam only 2 months prior since I believe Black Adam is the central villain of this movie, so they'll have the star power of Dwayne Johnson to fall on.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Looks good. Interesting that there was no release date with the trailer. Wonder if this is them potentially leaving the door open to move away from Avatar 2? Doubt the DCEU wants to delay further, just found it interesting.
With so many VFX vendor delays, I think it's smart to keep things a little loose until a couple months out from release.

So I liked the first movie, didn't care to see this for multiple reasons. One is that the DCEU is dead and the poor critic ratings. I'm also just sort of looking to what Gunn/Safran bring with the DCU since that Universe is the one that is here to stay whereas all of these films this year are basically just being dumped to recoup as much costs as possible.

I do think that between this film, Ant-Man 3, Thor 4, Sony's Morbius (which actually made more money opening weekend than Shazam 2), Eternals, and some may consider even Multiverse of Madness or Wakanda Forever letdowns in some ways (I do in certain ways, but still overall liked them). Add on the MCU D+ shows not always being great, I think Marvel has not necessarily caused Comic Book fatigue, but bad movie/show fatigue. DC announcing the end of their Universe before they released all of the movies I think has also contributed.

Audiences will only be burned so many times by a bad comic book movie or series before they finally decide to just stop handing over their money. This goes to why comic book movies as a genre have only released two movies that have made over $1B since the end of MCU's Phase 3. The two movies being Joker and No Way Home and only NWH has mad over $1B since 2020. NWH was a throwback to Phase three in it's quality and it was the type of movie that people beyond just the typical MCU/DCEU moviegoer went to see.

Right now, both Cinematic Universes are having trouble getting people who are outside of the fandom to com and see these movies. It only makes matters worse when the quality isn't there to help sell the general public on coming to see these movies. The Disney+ shows have only eliminated part of the casual audiences who once felt they could just hop in and understand things without watching every movie. Now they feel like if they miss a show they are out of the loop and thus don't come. I fear the DCU is setting itself up for the same failure with the approach that they lined out.

I dont know why I still enjoy many of these comic book films that are just comic book films but I am.

I understand people want more, but I feel like when you get the epic moments and not too many jokes, I'm pretty happy. I feel like the only thing I'd really change is having the Antagonist are doing earlier on because I was under the assumption that if got the power it was game over....and didn't have to be unless they wanted it to be.

So yeah besides that it was fun ride, with many comic book moments, a back story on where the powers came from, and overall enjoyed it. Its almost funny we got two post credit scenes and no idea if either will stick but hey after the Flash they could still use Shazam and call him a variety and have the same backstory as this DC but we will have to wait and see if the live action character is pretty much deal or not in the not few years.

I dont know why I still enjoy many of these comic book films that are just comic book films but I am.

I understand people want more, but I feel like when you get the epic moments and not too many jokes, I'm pretty happy. I feel like the only thing I'd really change is having the Antagonist are doing earlier on because I was under the assumption that if got the power it was game over....and didn't have to be unless they wanted it to be.

So yeah besides that it was fun ride, with many comic book moments, a back story on where the powers came from, and overall enjoyed it. Its almost funny we got two post credit scenes and no idea if either will stick but hey after the Flash they could still use Shazam and call him a variety and have the same backstory as this DC but we will have to wait and see if the live action character is pretty much deal or not in the not few years.
Supposedly Flash is actually really good too.

Supposedly Flash is actually really good too.
Yeah it looks great

I've just made up my mind on not support Ezra Miller and wont be seeing it.

Also I do hope its different because if its just a comic film like Black Adam/Shazam but people love it because it has Batman in it, lol

Yeah it looks great

I've just made up my mind on not support Ezra Miller and wont be seeing it.

Also I do hope its different because if its just a comic film like Black Adam/Shazam but people love it because it has Batman in it, lol
I won't be seeing it in theaters either. I'll wait for HBO Max. But honestly, if I wind up never seeing it (much like I haven't cared to watch Black Adam and couldn't care less if I watched Shazam 2 either) then i'll still sleep just fine. I have no connection to the Keaton batman so that does nothing for me.

I won't be seeing it in theaters either. I'll wait for HBO Max. But honestly, if I wind up never seeing it (much like I haven't cared to watch Black Adam and couldn't care less if I watched Shazam 2 either) then i'll still sleep just fine. I have no connection to the Keaton batman so that does nothing for me.
As a big DC fan, what I can appreciate in these last wave of DC films is the side characters. The Justice Society mainly Hawkman and Dr Fate were easily the best part of Black Adam and feel like in Flash Batman and Super girl are who I'm most excited for

Heck Peace Maker is one of the best DC things going and its about a very C ranked character.

Anyway its hard to gauge if you'd like this film but at least we have Blue Beetle out this summer.

As a big DC fan, what I can appreciate in these last wave of DC films is the side characters. The Justice Society mainly Hawkman and Dr Fate were easily the best part of Black Adam and feel like in Flash Batman and Super girl are who I'm most excited for

Heck Peace Maker is one of the best DC things going and its about a very C ranked character.

Anyway its hard to gauge if you'd like this film but at least we have Blue Beetle out this summer.
Peacemaker, The Suicide Squad, Joker, and The Batman are the only recent DC offerings i've enjoyed.