Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

She-Hulk: Attorney At Law

I can't wait! John Byrne's two runs on The Sensational She-Hulk are some of the best comics I've ever read. She looks like JB's Jennifer Walters.

We do have a big issue, though:
For the first few years of her comics existence, the character was the "savage" She-Hulk. That changed, I believe, when Roger Stern wrote her into The Avengers shortly before Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars. No one seemed to know what to do with the character before that.

John Byrne knew Roger Stern from their run on Captain America, and had an opportunity from his editors to use the character. JB asked RS, what is this character even about and, to paraphrase, RS told him: she actually likes being She-Hulk! This is what makes her different from Bruce!

But, in the trailer, Bruce is okay as The Hulk. This kinda ruins that.

But still, the She-Hulk we know and love from JB's FF stint, the She-Hulk graphic novel, and JB's two runs at the She-Hulk series, is what we might have here! JB had Shulkie breaking the fourth wall before Deadpool was even conceived!

I can't wait.

I also might be biased, this is on my coffee table right now:
shulkie.jpg

It’s interesting how Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk looks pretty much exactly like the movies but She-Hulk basically looks like Gamora. She doesn’t look like a Hulk figure as much as she simply looks like a character with Green skin.

It’s interesting how Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk looks pretty much exactly like the movies but She-Hulk basically looks like Gamora. She doesn’t look like a Hulk figure as much as she simply looks like a character with Green skin.

I'm sure they are trying to honor the most popular comics depictions of the character, where she's essentially drawn as a very athletic and tall supermodel, not as much of a "creature" as Banner's Hulk.

In execution in live action, though, she's still human enough that the Uncanny Valley effect is actually more pronounced than it is with Banner.

Part of the reason that JB's Jennifer Walters liked being She-Hulk better is how beautiful She-Hulk is. That is a big part of the character.

Check out Fantastic Four 275 (available on Comixology) for a great story about that.

detail.jpg

That all said, they better brush up the CGI...

Part of the reason that JB's Jennifer Walters liked being She-Hulk better is how beautiful She-Hulk is. That is a big part of the character.

Check out Fantastic Four 275 (available on Comixology) for a great story about that.

detail.jpg

That all said, they better brush up the CGI...
Imo, the CGI on Tatiana Maslany almost makes her look too perfect. Her skin is damn near flawless in that trailer in a way where it takes away any realism from the character. Skin has texture, which she does not have any of in this show from what we've seen so far. I know that's almost straight out of the comics, but I do feel like there should've been some sort of happy medium met.

Of course, once we're used to seeing the character I don't think it will be all that big of a deal. I believe this is a 10 episode show with 30-40 minute run times sort of like WandaVision, so we'll have more episodes to live with and and really explore the character, too.

CGI is more detailed on the Disney+ version of the trailer than on YouTube. Take a look at her forehead to see what I’m talking about. She looks far more plastic-y in the YouTube version, whereas there’s now texture in the Disney+ version like you’d expect to see from someone that looks like a human.

I have no idea why you would put a trailer out just to updated it two weeks later

They couldn't have waited? The show isn't out for months and we have Miss Marvel and Thor before it...no clue why they didn't wait

I have no idea why you would put a trailer out just to updated it two weeks later

They couldn't have waited? The show isn't out for months and we have Miss Marvel and Thor before it...no clue why they didn't wait
It’s possible they looked at the negative response to the uncanny valley nature of her appearance and actually decided to improve on it.

It’s possible they looked at the negative response to the uncanny valley nature of her appearance and actually decided to improve on it.
After Chip and Dale making fun of that....didn't think they'd need to see people to tell them when CGI is bad

After Chip and Dale making fun of that....didn't think they'd need to see people to tell them when CGI is bad
To be fair, the original uncanny valley version of her i what she looks like in the comics. Maybe that’s why they released this trailer so early. They probably knew it was something that was either going to work or not and wanted to give themselves time to fix it if not.

I am so excited about this! John Byrne's She-Hulk is in my top 5. Hope they don't screw that up.

That said, Moon Knight is a huge favorite comic and it was just above okay. Ms. Marvel, I never gave a sh!t about, and what a great show.

This is why, for comics anyh00, I follow writers and/or artists rather than characters.

For films, directors.

This was my most hyped and each trailer taken away from it....sigh.
This has nothing to do with She-Hulk, but i'm very much done with Professor Hulk. Please give us back uncontrollable anger Hulk if just for a movie.

This looks... a bit too try-hard with the comedy maybe? We'll see how it turns out, but there's just something about the way She-Hulk look that is off-putting to the eye. Like, it's not right.

CGI looks better, but still not particularly great. We'll see how it goes.

Please give us back uncontrollable anger Hulk if just for a movie.

There are so many arcs from the INCREDIBLE HULK comics (particularly from Peter David's legendary run, and the year or two immediately before he came aboard) that I'd love to see get adapted in some way.

I liked Professor Hulk in ENDGAME (also a Peter David idea), but that should not be Banner's end status quo.