Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Great America 2012: X-Flight

May 8, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Six Flags Great America 2012 X-Flight

350853200-31154714.jpg

Six Flags announced this morning that X-Flight the only announced wing coaster in the United States will be the latest attraction at Six Flags Great America in Gurnee.

Six Flags Great America in Gurnee announced they will add a new, state-of-the-art roller coaster for the 2012 season.

“X-Flight” is considered by the theme park as a groundbreaking “wing coaster” featuring cutting-edge technology, officials said in an early morning news release.

They said they are the first to announce plans for a wing coaster in the U.S.

Officials said in the release that X-Flight will take riders on a flight that defies gravity, with no track above or below them.

Riders sit in pairs, suspended on either side of the track with their feet dangling, as they begin their climb up a 12-story plunge launching them into speeds of 55 mph.

Riders will twist through 3,000 feet of intense drops and five inversions, including a barrel roll and a zero-g roll.

One of the most adrenaline-pumping moments on the ride is an extreme fly-through where the coaster speeds straight toward a structure, before making a last-minute vertical flip to fit through a keyhole cutout.

“Six Flags Great America has a long history of introducing legendary rides and first-of-its-kind roller coasters,” said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great America Park President. “What makes X-Flight so unique is soaring through 3,000 feet of high-speed drops, loops and turns, with nothing above or below you. The coaster's train actually looks like a plane with seats suspended on either side of the track. It's like nothing you have ever experienced before. We are thrilled to bring this revolutionary wing coaster to our guests for the 2012 season.”

X-Flight is designed by Swiss manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard, who also designed Raging Bull, SUPERMAN: Ultimate Flight and BATMAN: The Ride at Great America.

Construction of the wing coaster will begin in fall in the County Fair section of the park. It's expected to be open in spring of 2012.

Six Flags also plans to open new rides at their other parks, including Lex Luthor vertical drop in Los Angeles, Superman Ultimate Flight near San Francisco, Goliath boomerang coaster in Massachusetts, Apocalypse stand-up coast in D.C. and SkyScreamer swings in New Jersey and Texas.

I think FL needs a hyper before a Wing Coaster...lol

I was thinking about why they would add it at that particular park and remembered that Iron Wolf (which is moving to Six Flags America) was the first B&M coaster built and this will be the first in this country of this type...guess that works. Also I think they did it to further compete with Cedar Point (who hasn't built a new one since '07). Smart move I suppose. I don't foresee going to SFGAmerica anytime soon tho....

Last edited:
Any news on this? There's a possibility that I might visit Chicago in August, so if everything works out, I might be able to ride this!

PS: "X-Flight the only announced wing coaster in the United States" - Isn't Wild Eagle in Dollywood also a wing coaster? :p

--- Update ---

Found some animations! Looks nice!

[video=youtube;iovNPql_qvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iovNPql_qvU&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;RE4fPu3jTvE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE4fPu3jTvE[/video]

Ehhh, give me Wild Eagle, Leviathon, and Verbolten for 2012 please.

Blah at best,

[video=youtube;DCXVClAaX5w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCXVClAaX5w[/video]

Sweet ride

Blah at best,

[video=youtube;DCXVClAaX5w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCXVClAaX5w[/video]

After going on this ride twice yesterday, once on both sides of the track it is more than blah. My only problem with the ride was the length. It sure packed a smooth punch with the iversions and floyd throughs. I would have to put it towards the top of the 30 + plus coasters I have been on.

So this is to anyone thats riden both Wild Eagle and X-Flight which one in your opinion is better? I've alreadt riden Wild Eagle and love it but I havnt been able to ride X-Flight sadly so whats everyones opinion?