Six Flags Partners with Samsung | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Partners with Samsung

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
It has been officially announced today, that Six Flags will be collaborating with tech giant; Samsung to bring VR to their parks; and implementing it to some of their classic attractions.

http://investors.sixflags.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=61629&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2145606

For a few; "New Revolution Virtual Reality Coasters" will be implemented; as followed:

~The New Revolution (Six Flags Magic Mountain)
~ShockWave (Six Flags Over Texas)
~DareDevil Dive (Six Flags Over Georgia)
~Ninja (Six Flags St. Louis)
~Steamin' Demon (The Great Escape)
~Goliath (La Ronde)

Superman will also be introducing Virtual Reality; in "Superman VirtualReality Coasters"; and this is the list.
~Superman Krypton Coaster (Six Flags Fiesta Texas)
~Superman: The Ride (Six Flags New England)
~Superman Ride of Steel (Six Flags America)

These new VR experiences will start to be implemented starting after March 26th.

So, Thoughts on the new partnership between Six Flags and Samsung, and are you excited for this?

I'm intrigued.

It will be interesting to see what the reviews are like. It's either going to be terrible or revolutionary, I don't really see there being any middle ground.

VR on the Superman rides could be great (specifically the wonderful one at SFNE), but since it's Six Flags i'm not gonna hold out much hope for high quality.

This does, however, bode well for VR on coasters going forward.

It seems like VR coasters could make traditional motion simulators seem lackluster. Shaking seats just don't compare to actually moving.

1st gen of any product they try to give a "good enough" product, but not commit too much to it in case it flops. If this is successful, it will be a jumping off point and graphics will improve with more investment. Since this has to be customized for each coaster, they probably had a very limited budget for this proof of concept.

1st gen of any product they try to give a "good enough" product, but not commit too much to it in case it flops. If this is successful, it will be a jumping off point and graphics will improve with more investment. Since this has to be customized for each coaster, they probably had a very limited budget for this proof of concept.

My understanding is that there are several show types they can chose from and the layout is customized to the coaster.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it syncs with the physical ride.
Agreed, I like how during the break runs it's sliding through the building, then landing on the carrier. That works just as well as the effect from climbing over the top of the hill lift

The more videos I see, the more I like this technology. I had thought there would have been a lot of people getting sick from it but there doesn't seem to be any reports.

NwwhTOB.jpg

You can also see all the headsets in the background as the train comes back into the station.

I was there last weekend. They had multiple trains in operation, no break downs, and we probably moved about 30 feet inline in an hour. I think the VR stuff kills the load/unload time...

I rode new Revolution at SFMM a few days ago. I didn't ride it with the VR (I'll try it out next time I go). I did notice that dispatch took 3x longer than it should have because people either didn't know how to put it on, how to put it on right, or wanted to forget it and made the attendants lift the restraints and have them put the VR back. I doubt this will be permanent as this is going to really hurt hourly capacity.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I know Six Flags is really excited to have this technology in their parks but it isnt ready for commercial use yet. There are a lot of things that need to be worked out still including integrating the system into the operation of a ride. Hopefully they disappear after this season.

I doubt it. It seems to be quite popular and now that the test has been a success they'll greenlight spending more money on it for better animations and more of the headsets to improve the flow of guests.